Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crossover Challlenge!

Carmoney

OK guys, I'm pretty excited to announce the launch of something I think will be great for revolver competitors all over, the "Crossover Challenge." This is an idea that Craig Buckland (Bones) and I have been cooking up privately off-forum.

As you know, over the past couple years, Craig has distinguished himself at the highest ranks of the SSR Division of IDPA. In addition to being a match champion, he has been an articulate and vocal champion for the cause of revolver shooting in IDPA, particularly SSR. Meanwhile, I've been doing my part to swell the ranks of the USPSA Revolver Division out there. Both disciplines have been experiencing very nice growth in participation, and both Craig and I feel we have a vested interest in keeping things growing.

So here's the challenge--Craig and I are putting all past differences aside once and for all, and we are both committing to "cross over" to shoot each other's game together--for the good of the collective cause, but mainly because we think it will be a hell of a lot of fun!

Craig is renewing his membership in USPSA, and has already been in communication with Linda Chico to arrange to squad with Sammy and me on Sunday morning at the Summer Blast in York, PA this July. I am renewing my membership in IDPA, and will make arrangements to shoot at least one (and hopefully more) major IDPA match with Craig, to be named later. (I'll warn everyone it may have to be in '08 for me, as I have myself spread awfully thin with work commitments and out-of-town trips all the way through the '07 shooting season--but I give my word here publicly that I will follow through on my end of this deal.)

Now--Bones and I want a whole bunch of you fellow revolver shooters out there to follow suit, and take the "Crossover Challenge" with us! C'mon now, step up and do it!

It's a bright new morning again in this round world of ours! :D

I have shot IDPA and USPSA for years.

But, it really takes two different sets of gear to be competitive in both sports.

What is competitive in IPDA SSR or ESR really isnt all that competitive in USPSA and visa versa.

I know you can use the equipment and have fun but it wont be ideal. It is probably easier to use IDPA gear to shoot USPSA than the reverse. Most USPSA revolver gear isnt allowed in IDPA.

I will continue to shoot IDPA sometimes with a carry revolver and sometimes with a 1911, but it is more of a relaxing type match for me where maybe I work more on my accuracy and see my IDPA friends, but I still view USPSA as my main sport.

I'm not bashing IDPA, and I'm not trying to get into a disucssion about what may or may not be wrong with the rules.

I am just saying that it is hard to be serious about both sports simultaneously without two sets of sport specific gear.

Mike - I'm way ahead of you. I shot the Gator Classic last September, and will be shooting the Badlands IDPA regional and the TX State IDPA match in preparation for the IDPA Nationals. Of course, I just shot a classifier last weekend and squeaked into SSR/EX, instead of the perennial SS. Now I'll have to practice. :rolleyes:

ETA:

IDPA A01966

USPSA A-51222

Edited by revchuck

Well folks, the check - as they say - is "in the mail".

New England Revolver shooters (RGS - nudge, nudge, wink, wink): I can fit (3) add'l shooters & their gear in my vehicle and transportation is on me.

I am looking for a 5" or 6" 625 - if I can't get a hold of one by Jun, I'll have to stick with my Model 19 & shoot minor - no worries.

I'm bringing my wife to help me carry my wounded pride home.

Revchuck - we'll see you in OK.

RGS - SSR Highlander Gary Fry competed at the Nat'ls & WCs in his kilt - you can too - I dare you.

The REVOlution continues....

See ya 'round,

Craig

IDPA A14437

USPSA A51104 (I just checked - good through 31 March)

PS I signed up for the shotgun side match as well. As you might guess, I'm a pump-action guy, not an auto.

Edited by Bones

Ya'll guys are way behind the 8 ball here,

Several I know have been shooting both for years. ;)

Some of us attend more IDPA majors than USPSA and Vice Versa. :wacko: Wait, is that Versa Vice ???? I don't know, too many things to remember........ah hell, might as well just shoot. :)

Hopalong

oh yeah forgot....

IDPA A11299.......All gun Expert

USPSA TY45025....All gun dummy that shoots ;)

Well folks, the check - as they say - is "in the mail".

New England Revolver shooters (RGS - nudge, nudge, wink, wink): I can fit (3) add'l shooters & their gear in my vehicle and transportation is on me.

I am looking for a 5" or 6" 625 - if I can't get a hold of one by Jun, I'll have to stick with my Model 19 & shoot minor - no worries.

I'm bringing my wife to help me carry my wounded pride home.

Revchuck - we'll see you in OK.

RGS - SSR Highlander Gary Fry competed at the Nat'ls & WCs in his kilt - you can too - I dare you.

The REVOlution continues....

See ya 'round,

Craig

IDPA A14437

USPSA A51104 (I just checked - good through 31 March)

PS I signed up for the shotgun side match as well. As you might guess, I'm a pump-action guy, not an auto.

Maybe the CT match. Carius and the boys will be distracted though ;)

You are welcome to borrow my 5" 625 and gear for a month or so if you want. I can shoot the local matches with my 4" Let me know we can meet up at Manville Maybe??

No majors for me this year. Knees are better but not enough for a long match.

Gary

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Sounds like fun to me. I shot USPSA Area 3 and IL Sectional last year. If I can wrangle it, I'd like to shoot the Nationals this year. If not, Area 3 and MO Fall Classic since they're just down the road for me.

Shooting SSR this year for IDPA. I'd like to make it to the Nationals but that might be pushing it. If not, there are several regional and state matches around here to shoot.

Jerry M

TY34377 USPSA

A02786 IDPA

I do not believe that IDPA gear is "non-competitive" in USPSA. My 4" 625 in Blade-Tech holster gives up nothing to a 5" gun in a race "holder." Any ineptitude on my part can generally be attributed to my not practicing enough 25 and 50 yard standards and NOT my barrel length or how the gun is held on my hip. In Revolver Division, I would never say that X or Y beat me because he has "better" equipment.

Dave Sinko

You might see me around with RGS a few times this year, Bones. We've met at ICORE at S&W already- but you were awfully harried....I've been meaning to try this IDPA thing. Heck, why not? It's better getting trigger time than doing housework! :P

I wanted to go to the SB this year, but my brother is getting married the weekend before in NH, and it's just too much travelling. I think I'll do the MA IDPA Championship- I'll join for a year to try it- get classified & have fun- heck, someone's gotta suck, may as well be me! :D

Greg G.

Not a problem. I have (2) 5" Randy Lee 625's all tricked out and ready to go with all the gear needed. I make no "bones" about letting you shoot them at Summer Blast. I'll be working it, and will be shooting before you anyway...so you'll even have a back-up. :D Can't wait to see you there!!! ;)

I would really like to do the Summer Blast but I don't think it will be possible this year. Looks like I'll be on a family trip to Smyrna, GA, the land of Glock, to see a brother in law. I don't think I'll be able to manage any big USPSA matches this year, only the local ones. IDPA will be much more reasonable since I'll have both a state championship and the Nationals within 35 minutes of me. Shift work creates too many scheduling conflicts. But I will shoot the IDPA matches with a revolver.

And when I go to Smyrna I always carry my 625 concealed. The only time I take a Glock with me is when I have to drop it off for repair.

Dave Sinko

Dave,

I can and do comfortably conceal a 3" K-frame . I'm 6'2" & 210 lb. Running the proportion numbers to a full size N-frame conjures up images of a very large man or a small one with rather odd protrusions.

Sorry you can't join us.

Mike,

I think Dave makes more news than he reads.

Craig

So why not Join ICORE as well and make it a menage tois?

twpike, an excellent suggestion--and one that I have already taken to heart.

I joined ICORE recently, and have signed up to shoot the IRC.

I would encourage all the wheelgunners out there to do the same! A revolving three-way....how can you go wrong?? ;)