Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Lefty Suggestions?

brnhp35

I am contemplating borrowing my husband's S&W 610 to shoot in USPSA. I am pretty new to revolver shooting and and I am left handed, however the 610 is not, which makes reloading a bit awkward. I was wondering if anyone could share some tips or knowledge about both shooting revolvers and reloading them that would help me out?

Thanks

I am contemplating borrowing my husband's S&W 610 to shoot in USPSA. I am pretty new to revolver shooting and and I am left handed, however the 610 is not, which makes reloading a bit awkward. I was wondering if anyone could share some tips or knowledge about both shooting revolvers and reloading them that would help me out?

Thanks

Here's what I do, but keep in mind I'm just a "C" class shooter. I'm sure the inputs from the better shooters will probably be faster and have less wasted motions.

My Left handed Revo reload:

From a two-handed shooting position,

I use the trigger finger of my left hand to push cylinder release.

My right thumb pushes the cylinder out as it enters the opening in the frame.

At the same time the rest of my right hand is reaching around the lower front part of the frame to grab the cylinder.

I flip the gun so it's pointing straight up in the air with my hand firmly holding on to the cylinder with my thumb thru the frame opening and use my right index finger to eject the brass.

I then flip the gun so it't pointing straight down for the reload.

I keep my reloads on my left side in front of my holster and grab them with my left hand to reload.

After reloading, my left hand goes naturally to the grip as my right fingers push the cylinder closed as my right thumb retracts back thru the frame opening.

That leaves my right hand in place to assume it's support position on the grip.

I'd be curious what anyone else thinks of this method. It seems to work the fastest for me, but I'm willing to try anything that would shave time.

-Cuz.

Oh yeah, I use a Blade-Tech holster for my S&W 625 that I think is awesome.

My biggest suggestion is have fun, and welcome to the wonderful world of revolver shooting. A challenge for sure, but the most fullfilling one you can make in USPSA shooting.

Woo Hoo, just what we need a Lady Lefty shooting revolvers!!! :)

My left handed wheel gunning friend does it like this:

Opens cylinder with his trigger finger, pushes out the cylinder with his thumb of his right hand, keeps pressure on the cylinder whith his thumb and pushes the ejector rod with his right fore finger while retrieving a new moonclip and turning the gun muzzle up to help get rid of the spent cases. He then turns it muzzle down, drops the moonclip into the cylinder, closes it with his left hand while changing hands to get it back into his left hand.

Hope that helps, there are other ways and I'm sure some of the fine folks here will share once they see this.

Have fun, and be patient with the thing. ;)

Hopalong

I do it a little differently-- I grab the cylinder between the thumb and fingers of my weak hand and hit the cylinder release with my strong hand thumb as it moves back heading for a new clip. (I found that smoother than using my trigger finger, and if you mostly keep your grip while moving the thumb over, you end up with some good leverage to get the cylinder open).

The rest of it goes as Sam says. Put some athletic tape or a cloth band-aid on your WH thumb knuckle until you build enough of a callus to stop the burning sensation :ph34r:

brnhp35, you're getting some good advice here.

When the gun gets hot, you will definitely need some protection on the hand that reaches through the frame. Athletic tape can help, but you may wish to consider wearing a glove like Tom Mainus:

post-4033-1172377685.jpg

brnhp35, you're getting some good advice here.

When the gun gets hot, you will definitely need some protection on the hand that reaches through the frame. Athletic tape can help, but you may wish to consider wearing a glove like Tom Mainus:

I just spit out my beer....and I hate to waste beer...

Carmoney, what are you doing ;) Here this pleasant lady is trying to get some real information on how to shoot a revolver left handed and you go and force me to defend myself.

Brnhp35, you have to realize that we revolver shooters are a pretty tight group and we like to take shots at each other from time to time. First thing you have to know if you are going to hang out here is that %95 of what comes out of Carmoneys keyboard is crap :P Now lets try to help you out with your original question.

I am a left handed revovler shooter as well and I do wear a glove on my right hand.(That would be the %5 from Carmoneys post you can believe) I do not look like the freak in the picture though. Here is how I reload, remember I have big hands and this might not work for you.

1. I depress the cylinder release with the thumb on my left hand while still gripping the gun. I use a custom oversize release.

2. At the same time I start to push open the cylinder with my right thumb.

3. Open the cylinder and grab the revolver with the web of my right hand around the forcing cone(hence the glove) and push the ejector rod with my right index finger

4. Tilt the gun up to let gravity help with the moonclips falling out and go for a fresh moonclip with your left hand.

5. Insert moonclip, close cylinder, and find sight picture.

Hope that helps you out, if you have any other questions don't let Mike scare you away, we are all pretty harmless.

I think Mike owes Cliff a Coors when they get together again B)

Wow guys thanks! It is so cool to get answers even to questions I hadn't asked yet.

The tips on what holsters are available are great. Finding a good left handed holster has been my biggest challenge in all my shooting. I love the Bladetech I have for my auto and was hoping to get something similar for the revolver.

Cuz, I am only a "d" class shooter myself and have never shot revolver in competition so I am willing to listen to anyone with suggestions haha! I really appreciate the encouragement

Hopalong, Thanks for the encouragement! especially the have fun suggestion. I am enjoying USPSA all the more because of the patience and encouragement of other shooters.

Shred I like the tape idea. I have been using you guys hints and trying to work out the mechanics and am rubbing my left thumb raw trying to get the release buttom pressed. I will have to get me some tape.

I am having some trouble with my hands being a bit small for the gun but I like the feel of using my SH thumb to catch the release and using the WH fingers to pop the cylinder and depress the extractor. I was wondering about the heat trouble though. Mainus, is that glove specific to shooting? And could you possibly give me an idea where to get ahold of one?

Something I already learned the hard way for other ladies contemplating lefthanded revolver shooting cut the thumbnail on the WH! It hurts when the thumbnail catches on the way across and tries to pull off!! Haha!

Also don't worry about me being scared off by shooters giving each other guff. If that was the case the guys I shoot with would have scared me off a long time ago. Shooting wouldn't be half as much fun if we couldn't pick on each other!

Thanks again guys! I will absolutely come back with new questions when they come up.

This is the other half of brnhp35.....

This could work due to some of your suggestions I could get some work done on the revolver I have been thinking of anyway ....

All in the name of marital harmony....

and if she gets hooked who knows ....NEW GUN!!!!!!! :D

David T.

Just thought of the problem though...

I promised to shoot revolver with her that means it back to the S&W m13 3" for me...

the gun has a slow barrel or something have to shoot +p+ 158 38spl just to make minor....

Oh well just dont trip over my speedloaders while your timing me...

Them little round things can be slick:)

Here's what I do, but keep in mind I'm just a "C" class shooter. I'm sure the inputs from the better shooters will probably be faster and have less wasted motions.

My Left handed Revo reload:

From a two-handed shooting position,

I use the trigger finger of my left hand to push cylinder release.

My right thumb pushes the cylinder out as it enters the opening in the frame.

At the same time the rest of my right hand is reaching around the lower front part of the frame to grab the cylinder.

I flip the gun so it's pointing straight up in the air with my hand firmly holding on to the cylinder with my thumb thru the frame opening and use my right index finger to eject the brass.

I then flip the gun so it't pointing straight down for the reload.

I keep my reloads on my left side in front of my holster and grab them with my left hand to reload.

After reloading, my left hand goes naturally to the grip as my right fingers push the cylinder closed as my right thumb retracts back thru the frame opening.

That leaves my right hand in place to assume it's support position on the grip.

I'd be curious what anyone else thinks of this method. It seems to work the fastest for me, but I'm willing to try anything that would shave time.

Cuz, that's how I did it 22 years ago.

Put some athletic tape or a cloth band-aid on your WH thumb knuckle until you build enough of a callus to stop the burning sensation :ph34r:

I used a golf glove. It's thin and unobtrusive but the leather still provided protection against the heat.

Kenny

Cuz, that's how I did it 22 years ago.

Put some athletic tape or a cloth band-aid on your WH thumb knuckle until you build enough of a callus to stop the burning sensation :ph34r:

I used a golf glove. It's thin and unobtrusive but the leather still provided protection against the heat.

Kenny

Thanks, at least I know I'm on the right track. I gotta give some thought to a glove. I'm getting tired of burning the heck out of my thumb from that hot forcing cone.

-Cuz.