Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Point Series

hf219

I was wondering if they were going to post on the USPSA website any new info for the 07' point series. I had sent them an email, in return they stated that the point series has not drawn enough attention and is difficult to keep track of everyones results. Curious to see anyone elses thoughts on this. I would have thought they would've brought this to the members for a vote or something like that.

Thank you DrawandDUck, obviously after that discussion they still have not removed the point series information from the website. I wonder if anyone running for office this year in USPSA has anything to add!!!!!!!!

I participated once ........ last year.

And I liked it enough to hope it would return. :unsure:

Too bad.

Definately should have been up to some sort of members vote. We are the ones participating in it after all.

Did you ever get your trophy Chris?

I suggested to our AD that the points series should be tied in with Nationals Slots. You win in the PS for your class - you are offered a Nationals Slot. I think that would increase participation. He a agreed and said that he wants to see it reinstated. I would even go as far as saying - instead of getting cash for winning, you get a "paid" slot. That would really increase participation.

for winning, you get a "paid" slot.

We're talking about doing that at a more local level. In my home section, we're talking about giving the slot winners a "paid" slot, rather than just the piece of paper that allows you to pay for a slot.

B

I think giving a "paid slot" is a good idea, however, remember that a slot is $275. Multiply that out for every division and class, and you are awarding up to 36 slots!!! That means we need to generate about $10,000 somewhere. With a Point Series fee of only $25, we would need 400 participants just to break even, and that doesn't include plaques, shipping, and any administration costs (if there are any). We didn't even muster 100 participants last year. Now, if you bump it up to $50 or $100, will that chase people away??? Should it be a situation where EVERYBODY is AUTOMATICALLY entered? If so, then where does the $$$ come from to support it? I liked the Point Series, as it gave me a reason to travel to more major matches, but, it has to support itself, and it has to be interesting enough to be marketable to the masses. Participation has been going DOWN since PS came into being. Sometimes you have to let something go if people simply aren't willing to participate.

My .02 YMMV

Jeff

Edited by Barrettone

I think giving a "paid slot" is a good idea, however, remember that a slot is $275. Multiply that out for every division and class, and you are awarding up to 36 slots!!! That means we need to generate about $10,000 somewhere. With a Point Series fee of only $25, we would need 400 participants just to break even, and that doesn't include plaques, shipping, and any administration costs (if there are any). We didn't even muster 100 participants last year. Now, if you bump it up to $50 or $100, will that chase people away??? Should it be a situation where EVERYBODY is AUTOMATICALLY entered? If so, then where does the $$$ come from to support it? I liked the Point Series, as it gave me a reason to travel to more major matches, but, it has to support itself, and it has to be interesting enough to be marketable to the masses. Participation has been going DOWN since PS came into being. Sometimes you have to let something go if people simply aren't willing to participate.

My .02 YMMV

Jeff

Good points, Jeff. There has got to be a way to come up with some incentives for the PS. I think at the section level, Section Champions should receive "paid" or "discounted" slots. I have been thinking about how to make that happen in our section - difficult since we pay so much money out back to the shooters. Perhaps discounted Nationals slots with the point series - could the Nationals absorb $5000 to pay for this? Even a 3rd of the cost would be an incentive.

To play Devils Advocate for a minute, why does the PS need a prize or incentive?

Because we play a game. We are racing (guns). Its a competition.

So, then, why isn't the competition itself and a nice plaque enough to draw shooters? It works for a lot of matches.

I'm not trying to be a pain here, but we have to think about why people didn't shoot it before throwing more money at it, especially money that wasn't entirely put up by sponsors or the participants themselves.

To play Devils Advocate for a minute, why does the PS need a prize or incentive?

Because we play a game. We are racing (guns). Its a competition.

So, then, why isn't the competition itself and a nice plaque enough to draw shooters? It works for a lot of matches.

I'm not trying to be a pain here, but we have to think about why people didn't shoot it before throwing more money at it, especially money that wasn't entirely put up by sponsors or the participants themselves.

I was happy to participate just for a trophy or plaque.

After the first year of the series I also suggested the division winners of the points series get an earned slot to my Area Coordinator. He replied to my suggestion but it did not go any where.

I shot it the first 3 years watching it get less and less participation for lack of promotion and/or other reasons. Have not participated since and do agree that it should just go away.

Just my opinion, and you see what my tag line says about them. ;)

Hopalong

Considering this is an election year. I do realize there may be more important topics to be covered. With that said, USPSA has enough time to post the fantasy top 20 members roster and one for the JR's, why is it that they cannot find the time to post results for the point series which contains less shooters. The point series is to be funded solely by its contributing members. I know there is someone out there that has an influence or is among the BOD that could make this system work. Everyone posting on this subject has had great ideas. Other shooting disciplines have some sort of series or point calculation system for their perspective areas. Its nice to know where you stand among your peers, based on larger matches you have traveled, paid, endured, and excelled in.

Without the point series, what incentive is their to travel out of your section, state, or area. Maybe the Area Directors should put together a point series and formulate a funding for same, for their own areas. This would be a great subject for someone running for Area Director or even President. You cant always forget about the little man or those who have gotten you to where your at presently. Some of the candidates remember who they are and where they came from. Its as important as knowing where this sport is heading, how it will grow, and how itll get there.