Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ins & Outs Of 9mm Loads?

I poked around a bit but didn't find any resource directly related to this question:

What are the different 9mm loads, and what are the reason's to pick one over the others?

I'm going on the assumption that 9mm is the diameter and the 2nd number is the length of the bullet. Correct me here if I'm wrong.

We have a rule in medicine: Anytime you see lots of different drugs or solutions for one problem, it generally means that none of them work.

So, whats up with all the variations on the theme in this caliber? I'm not meaning to step on any diehard 9mm fans toes; I'm just new to competition calibers. :ph34r:

Chris

2nd number is length of case

9x19 is standard NATO / military cartridge. As such, 9x21 is allowed in some countries where ownership of military calibers is not OK.

9x23 or 9supercomp is same length as 38 super just in a 9mm casing which basically means taperd, not straightwall.

The 9x19 (9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum) is readily available in a minor power factor loading at any sporting goods store that sells ammunition. Very popular round with sportsmen and law enforcement. You are right that the 9 is the bullet diameter in mm's but the 19 is the length of the brass, not the overall length of the bullet.

The 9x21 became popular in the US when USPSA decided it was no longer safe to load 9x19 to a major power factor (then at 175). It was developed as an alternative to 38 super.

Now the 9x19 can be legally loaded major, not much calling for 9x21 in new guns.

Also no one in the US offers commercially loaded 9x21 (but an exception is imported Fiochi's if you can find them). Due to the limited demand, I'm concerned that in time brass will no longer be offered. (I've shot 9x21 since 1995 and have not come across another 9x21 shooter at a match.)

The 9x23 is commercially loaded in major and represents an alternative to 38 super. (Tapered case versus straight wall case.) Not as popular in USPSA as 38 super (and supercomp) and 9 major, but it still has a following in the form of commercial loads available and factory guns manufactured.

Depending on your requirements (competition versus hunting versus tin can punching) and your desire to reload versus purchase loaded ammo, here on the forum you can find someone that will help answer all your questions.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

The basics: There is 9x19, and everything else (9x21, 9x23, 38S, 38TJ, 38SC, 38 Lapua, ...).

9x19 is what you get when you go into any gun store and ask for '9mm'. Cheap and everywhere.

Everything else means a longer case for more powder, more velocity and less pressure, which is needed to score better in some games (some divisions of IPSC/USPSA, primarily). 'Everything else' also means it needs to be custom loaded and isn't typically found in stores. 9x19 can be loaded up to 'everything else' levels, but then you're in the custom-loading game again. The relative differences between all the 'everything else's is fairly small.

Due to the limited demand, I'm concerned that in time brass will no longer be offered. (I've shot 9x21 since 1995 and have not come across another 9x21 shooter at a match.)

Bill

There is at least one more for 9x21.

I too share the concern about 9x21 availability, so to those few of us still using it, order some once & a while.

9x21

Now, thought that the 9mm Makarov was 9x21...... or is it 9x23....

TIA

Billy

BTW, I shoot a 9mm BHP in IDPA... Works fine for me.... Considering its what ive got! :D 147gn loads have improved the accuracy... Infact, my S&W 915 went from patterning like a shotgun w/ WWB to more accurate than the BHP.... :huh: .... Its all in the load development I guess....

a couple more notes on the 9X23.

factory ammo is rather expensive. the cheap Winchester practice stuff is $15+ per 50, the Winchester STHP self defense is $35 per 50. Yikes!! CORBON also has some exotic loads for it as well. Only Winchester and Corbon load factory 9X23.

for relaoding: Original Winchester brass is very expensive. The Starline brass is a better deal but some folks say its not as durable as the Winchester.

its a potent load for self defense - some folks have 9x23 carry guns - it actually reaches published velocities.

• 3 months later...