Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold Bullet 9mm - Jhp Or Cmj

surfmaster

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to decide between the Montana Gold JHP or CMJ bullets. I have already tried the CMJ bullets and they are satisfactory. I was wondering how they compare to the JHP version? Which do you like better?

Has anyone used both and found that one bullet type requires less powder to make the same power factor? Any cycling issues?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I have used both (and a few others) in both 9mm and 38Super. I found the JHP to be more accurate in all five of my handguns that I tested them in.

They were not THE most accurate in all of my handguns, but a direct comparison between the JHP and the CMJ showed that the JHP is best for accuracy. before you ask, Sierra came out on top.

The only way to see what is going to work for you is to order some of each (what ever is the smallest amount you can get but certainly not just 50 of each, try a few hundred) and try as many different loads that will function reliably, make the required power factor and then shoot the best.

Very feew short cuts to get to the answer.

Edited by gm iprod

For me I run their CMJ's in my Open Super. Just like the round nose for feeding and no media in the HP after tumbling. Hasn't happened to me but ask those who it has. I run the 115's.

The flat out most accurate bullet I've used though was their 121gr. IFP bullet though. It's a 115gr. JHP with the HP filled in. Weird but a tackdriver.

Rich

I run the 115 CMJ in a 9mm steel/open gun. Accuracy is fine, but the main reason I use them is that the comp stays lead free.

After filling in the comp with lead using Win FMJ with an exposed base, this is an important consideration for me... :D

Ditto. After a while, the only way I've found to get the lead out (no pun intended) is a chisel/screwdriver and a hammer. It hurts my feelings sometimes to do that to my blasters, but that crud's gotta get out somehow.

When I get back, I'm going to be working with MGB and hopefully we can get a better picture on their pricing as well as hopefully get them back in the game as a major bullet supplier for USPSA/IPSC.

Rich

I have been running the MG 124 JHP for 1 1/2 yrs. It is the ONLY bullet I have ever used or plan on using. I live in Birmingham, AL and I order on Monday and they are here on Thursday. If I place the order the night before they have shipped the Next Day EVERY TIME!! ALSO they have ONLY raised their prices 8.8% since 2005. I was paying $197 per case in 2005 and I just paid $216 per case last week.....

The flat out most accurate bullet I've used though was their 121gr. IFP bullet though. It's a 115gr. JHP with the HP filled in. Weird but a tackdriver.

I just got in a sample of these 121 IFPs from Montana Gold because I am interested in testing some... not sure if the seating stem in my Dillon seating die will work (RL550B setup). The MG 121 IFP and 124 JHP have a more agressive taper than my current staple (Zero 125gr JHP) and when I pull the seating stem out of the die and put the tip of the MG bullets in to check for fit / compatibility, there is not a good fit on either the "round" stem tip or the "flat" stem tip. Do you guys know if Dillon makes another seating stem specifically for these types of JHPs (narrow tip profile)? Example: my zero jhp will only work with the "round" end of the seating stem. If I load that bullet with the "flat" end of the stem, the bullets are seated crooked and I don't want to have that problem with the MG.

Thanks,

Okie

I just got in a sample of these 121 IFPs from Montana Gold because I am interested in testing some... not sure if the seating stem in my Dillon seating die will work (RL550B setup). The MG 121 IFP and 124 JHP have a more agressive taper than my current staple (Zero 125gr JHP) and when I pull the seating stem out of the die and put the tip of the MG bullets in to check for fit / compatibility, there is not a good fit on either the "round" stem tip or the "flat" stem tip. Do you guys know if Dillon makes another seating stem specifically for these types of JHPs (narrow tip profile)? Example: my zero jhp will only work with the "round" end of the seating stem. If I load that bullet with the "flat" end of the stem, the bullets are seated crooked and I don't want to have that problem with the MG.

Thanks,

Okie

I only use the Redding micrometer-Adjustable Competition Seating die. I have found it to work on my .38 JHP to .40 CMJ. I would recommend this seating die to anyone!!

Randal

The round one will be fine. You probably will have to adjust the seating depth though due to different bullet geometry (probably not, but it's a good check to do).

Keep in mind that we're not going for sub-minute of squirrel accuracy with these pistols.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Okie

I'm having the same problem. I'll try to take a look at the Redding die... any other suggestions. What is everyone else using?

Okie, how old are your Dillon dies? Mine are at least 12 years old. Maybe the newer ones have a different profile on the seating insert.

Got the Redding Competition seating die the other day (props to Midway BTW, good price, good/prompt service) and it really does work well. Easy to make adjustments and it takes care of the concentricity problems. I can't wait to go test the rounds I just loaded.... :D

Edited by Turtle

i shoot the JHPs now, but would like to give the CMJs a try. so i guess the concensus is that the JHP are more accurate than the CMJs. could anyone tell me how much of a difference we are talking about? does anyone have a comparrison of the group size they have got with these two....?

Typically, the JHP's will be more accurate than the CMJ's. Because there is material removed from the front of a JHP, the bullet has to be longer for the same weight. This gives the bullet more bearing surface in the lands and grooves of the barrel, causing better alignment of the bullet in it's travel down the barrel.

But, like previously stated, you will only really know if you test them both. I pretty much shoot JHP's exclusively.

Edited by SA Friday

Okie, how old are your Dillon dies? Mine are at least 12 years old. Maybe the newer ones have a different profile on the seating insert.

Sorry for the long delay (I've been deployed for a while)... My dies are only 3 months old. I have just ordered the Redding Comp die like everybody on the forum and other local folks have recommended. It will be waiting for me when I get back. Looking forward to loading up some 121gr IFPs and see how they perform compared to the Zero 125s. Will post my range / chrono results in a few weeks. Thanks to all who replied!

Okie