Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Trojan For Singlestack?

tpcdvc

I'm planning on buying a gun to play in SS some this year. So far I'm leaning toward the STI Trojan in 40. However, I have heard some have had problems running reliably. If anyone has experience with this gun or has any suggestions on a SS 40 by another manufacturer I would greatly appreciate any information. Magazine suggestions too please.

Thanks

Edited by tpcdvc

I'm planning on buying a gun to play in SS some this year. So far I'm leaning toward the STI Trojan in 40. However, I have heard some have had problems running reliably. If anyone has experience with this gun or has any suggestions on a SS 40 by another manufacturer I would greatly appreciate any information. Magazine suggestions too please.

Thanks

I tried the Trojan in .40, but after attempting to get it to feed reliably with a myriad of mags, I gave up. Yes, I could have sent it to a "well known" smith for modifications at a cost, but why should someone have to do that after paying $900+ for a supposed "top of the line" pistol.

Bought a Kimber .40 Custom II. Fed 100% out of the box and runs like a top. Only modifications were changing the sights to Heinie's and adding an S&A magwell. With those mods, it was still less than $900.

If you can afford a "high end" 1911, look to Wilson or Nighthawk Custom. They will build pistols in .40S&W.

Thanks

I tried the Trojan in .40, but after attempting to get it to feed reliably with a myriad of mags, I gave up. Yes, I could have sent it to a "well known" smith for modifications at a cost, but why should someone have to do that after paying $900+ for a supposed "top of the line" pistol.

Bought a Kimber .40 Custom II. Fed 100% out of the box and runs like a top. Only modifications were changing the sights to Heinie's and adding an S&A magwell. With those mods, it was still less than $900.

If you can afford a "high end" 1911, look to Wilson or Nighthawk Custom. They will build pistols in .40S&W.

I would agree!!!!! Why should anyone have to send a BRAND NEW gun to a gunsmith to make it work after paying $900. A person I know exactly went through the same experience with the Trojan. Are all STI like that???? I have heard about their Edge doing the same???

I have had a couple (and have yet another right now) and have sent each and every one to a smith for finishing touches. The reason you ask.... When you do get them tweaked "just right" you have a gun that is close to totally hand built quality for 1/2 the price. I have had Virgil Tripp do a Trojan .40 and Benny Hill do a couple. Flawless! :) I see a lot of problems with the .40s caused by the wrong mags and incorrectly tuned mags. IF you do the right mags correctly and have the gun tweaked they are wonderful. I have now and have had pistols made by ******* and ****** ( gotta keep the "Fan Boys" off my ass) and they are just not there as far as comparable quality.

The above is my opinion. YMMV and etc....Blah Blah Blah.

I have had a couple (and have yet another right now) and have sent each and every one to a smith for finishing touches. The reason you ask.... When you do get them tweaked "just right" you have a gun that is close to totally hand built quality for 1/2 the price. I have had Virgil Tripp do a Trojan .40 and Benny Hill do a couple. Flawless! :) I see a lot of problems with the .40s caused by the wrong mags and incorrectly tuned mags. IF you do the right mags correctly and have the gun tweaked they are wonderful. I have now and have had pistols made by ******* and ****** ( gotta keep the "Fan Boys" off my ass) and they are just not there as far as comparable quality.

The above is my opinion. YMMV and etc....Blah Blah Blah.

What did Benny and Tripp actually do to your factory guns to make them run better. Ramp angle? Slide fitting? I'm sure I will want a trigger job so I'll have to send it to my gunsmith anyway. But I guess what I'm asking is how much work did Tripp and Benny have to do to make them right?

I have corrected the feed issue on several Trojans. The ramp is not cut correctly - too steep. Same thing with the Springfield 9mm 1911. Kimber OTOH got it right the first time. My .40 Kimber would feed anything I threw at it. It was also the most accurate 1911 I have ever owned. It would shoot sub-one inch groups at 25 yds. with several different loads and bullets.

My T9 runs flawlessly with Metalform Springrfield magazines.

My T40 and my T38 went to Virgil Tripp to have the ramps reworked. I am running Cobra Mags in my T40 and CMC/Wilsons in my T38. Both are sweet....now.

I sent an e-mail to STI regarding the ramps issues...and out pops the Sentinel. I don't know if it will run in .40. I am watching the 1911 Forum for discussion.

At this time, I will not recommend a .40 Trojan.

According to STI, the best SS 40 mags are by Metalform. Tripp would probably be the second choice, followed by Mec Gar. I have a 40 Trojan with a pile o' Mec Gars and they all run flawlessly. I'll probably pick up a handfull of Tripps when I send the pistol off to be chromed.

According to STI, the best SS 40 mags are by Metalform. Tripp would probably be the second choice

In regards to mags, I ordered 4 from Tripp. Not one would feed the 1st round in the Kimber. When I contacted Tripp to see if they would work on my feed ramp, they said no, send the mags back. I then tried Metalforms. Fed OK most of the time but would not drop free or lock the slide back on the last round.

I then purchased 6 McCormick 9 round 10mm mags. They have ran flawlessly (feeding, locking slide back, and dropping free).

Keep in mind that different single stack manufacturers have varied tolerances and dimensions. What works in one single stack may not run in another...........

Keep in mind that different single stack manufacturers have varied tolerances and dimensions. What works in one single stack may not run in another...........

Here it is in a nutshell. (insert arrow pointing up) If your gun won't run with one kind/type/brand of mags... keep on trying. A gun refusing to work with one mag does not (necessarily) mean the gun is a POS. It might be correctable with something so simple as a brand change for your mags or a different magazine release.....

Hello;What I have found with the 40's is the feedramp on the barrels is too steep. I have looked at 6 different barrels and they were all different. The Schuemann that I used I had to change the ramp angle for my STI 2011. Once I did that all the problems went away. I can give you the angle if you want it. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

According to STI, the best SS 40 mags are by Metalform. Tripp would probably be the second choice

In regards to mags, I ordered 4 from Tripp. Not one would feed the 1st round in the Kimber.

I responded in the context of what STI feels works best in *their* pistols. I got this straight from STI's singlestack guru.

... or get a 45.

B)

True. But the SS 40 really solves a problem for me. I really want to run just *one* caliber for all my game pistols so all I have to do is adjust the Redding seater and crank the handle on the 1050. I really don't enjoy dinking around with setting up / changing over calibers and loads anymore.

In a year or two, the "secret" to making a SS 40 run like a top will be old hat to everyone. I remember back in the early days of the forum. Feed problems with the S_I were major topics of discussion. Don't hear much about them these days. Gunsmiths and component makers have finally figured out what works and we're all reaping the benefits. And so it will be with the 40...

Edited by EricW

In regards to mags, I ordered 4 from Tripp. Not one would feed the 1st round in the Kimber.

I responded in the context of what STI feels works best in *their* pistols. I got this straight from STI's singlestack guru.

... or get a 45.

B)

True. But the SS 40 really solves a problem for me. I really want to run just *one* caliber for all my game pistols so all I have to do is adjust the Redding seater and crank the handle on the 1050. I really don't enjoy dinking around with setting up / changing over calibers and loads anymore.

In a year or two, the "secret" to making a SS 40 run like a top will be old hat to everyone. I remember back in the early days of the forum. Feed problems with the S_I were major topics of discussion. Don't hear much about them these days. Gunsmiths and component makers have finally figured out what works and we're all reaping the benefits. And so it will be with the 40...

This is the same thinking for me. I really want to use the same round for SS that I do in limited. I don't want to mess with my 650, I just want to pick up few hundred rounds and head to a match. I love the 45 but the truth is I will shoot a 40 single stack way more just because of the ammo issue. Or I could buy another 650????? But a 650 and the price of the gun would probably put me in the dog house. It's been a little too cold for that.

If STI can get their Edges and and Eagles to run flawlessly, or with a little tuning from a smith. Then logic would dictate they can do the same with a SS .40.

My Trojan 40 runs. I had to tweak the Tripp mags, but it runs.

With the .40 the mags seem to be the big factor for malfunctions, once the feed ramp geometry is changed.

My friends Kimber stainless in .40 had similar mag issues.

I think these problems will be fixed in the near future.

I do agree, they can and will be fixed.

My take, and I want to repeat, MY TAKE, on SS is that when limited to only 8 rounds, why not have the largest possible hole to cut a line every now and again.

Changing my 650 from .40 to .45 is not a big deal. And I have found that the cheap Glock Brass I have been buying does NOT run well in my Lee Undersize die. I get about a 6% case crushing rate. I talked to Dillon the other day, and it is supposedly the narrow opening of the die. The Dillon resizing/de-capping die has a "bell" to it that allows for the case to move up into the die with less of a problem. This is important, as I am feeling the need to order a K.I.S.S. bullet feeder. As long as I am having crushed cases, it is not worth it in my opinion, as having to stop to remove 6 crushed cases per 100 would negate the point of the case feeder.

Edited to add: I have stopped buying Glocked brass!!!

Talking to Derek of Millennium Custom last night about it, this should NOT be a problem for the 1050 users. As you just have a Dillon resizing/de-capping die in Station 1 and a Lee undersized die in Station 2. Problem solved. You 1050 guys are good to go on Glocked Brass. It is once again us poor-folk who have to suffer :angry:

Edited by zhunter

Z,

I just use a regular lee die, i turned down the end to square it off. I had tried the undersized die, got tired of pulling crushed cases.

With the regular die, i end up with maybe one or two rounds that don't pass the case check per thousand.