Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

Next time at Terre Haute I can shoot with you. Maybe I can give a little constructive critic.

The match had a lot of speed up slow down stages, thats hard enough, then factor in you're learning a new gun/division.

Plan......then execute.

Edited by Caspian_45

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time someone asks you your dot size, tell them "The right size to kick your butt!!!" :D

Right on brother! I like your answer and that is EXACTLY what I'm going to tell this individual the next time he asks.

Thanks for the positive words...I needed it :)

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

One step at a time.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT MY HUSBAND SAID!!!! Thanks for posting. I was feeling lonely :)

Next time at Terre Haute I can shoot with you. Maybe I can give a little constructive critic.

The match had a lot of speed up slow down stages, thats hard enough, then factor in you're learning a new gun/division.

Plan......then execute.

I have no doubt you could give me a few pointers. Anyone who can kick Open butt with a single stack 45 might know a thing or two. ;) I would like to shoot with you. Perhaps you can shed some light on where I'm at on this mountain that I'm climbing. Thanks for offering to help Tony :)

Jane,

You are doing great!!! Your first stage was awsome with great time. I think you were pushing the classifier, but that happens, it was one that makes you think you can do it faster than you can, the stage were you lost your dot, well, you did great, pulling back and working on the fundamentals of it instead of just trying to shoot it through, that is learning at it's best. You smoked the active stage and the long course, hang in there and remember that monthly matches are for practice for the big one, that is what I do.

....and some things only come with time and lots of stages. I used to be nerve wracked in the starting position ---- but it went away after three or four years. In other words: "Patience, Grasshopper!" :D:D

As to the "If it was easy, everybody would be doing it," I can't read that without thinking of Tom Hanks' rant in "A League of Their Own...."

....and some things only come with time and lots of stages. I used to be nerve wracked in the starting position ---- but it went away after three or four years. In other words: "Patience, Grasshopper!" :D:D

As to the "If it was easy, everybody would be doing it," I can't read that without thinking of Tom Hanks' rant in "A League of Their Own...."

I have always had a problem with that lump that is 3ft above my....

Well you get the idea!

:D:D:P:P

Jane,

You are doing great!!! Your first stage was awsome with great time. I think you were pushing the classifier, but that happens, it was one that makes you think you can do it faster than you can, the stage were you lost your dot, well, you did great, pulling back and working on the fundamentals of it instead of just trying to shoot it through, that is learning at it's best. You smoked the active stage and the long course, hang in there and remember that monthly matches are for practice for the big one, that is what I do.

Yep, you are right about the classsifier. I didn't respect that hard cover target. SOOOO yesterday I painted ALL of my practice targets with hard cover. My practice targets are now a 6 inch brown stripe down the middle with black on both sides. THAT"LL TEACH ME! :) I really appreciate your encouragement. Thanks.

Sorry my friend...I can't help you with that one :lol:

Mrs. Ball,

You have studied this sport and you have had some good training. You have a very good idea about what you want to do, and even how it should be done. I wonder if you need to remain more focused on the overall system you are trying to develop rather than jump around to different parts of it.

I went to a wrestling clinic once put on by Michigan State Univerities coach. He described how wrestling coaches analyze what their team's do wrong in competition and then work on the weaknesses. (makes sense to do that) Then find the next weakness and work on that and the cycle continues throughout the whole season without an over arching plan or system in place to bring out all of the things they wanted to happen. It is reactive rather proactive. He stressed develop a system and focus the system on what you want you team to be able to do. Focus on developing strengths not correcting weaknesses. They both hope to end up in the same place but one approach is proactive and the other reactive.

Shooting is a lot like wrestling in that there are so many aspects to deal with all at once, and a large part of this game is also mental. I suggest that you need to stay the course and focus on the big picture. You know and I know that you can hit that far target from last weeks classifier. Working on mental focus and trigger control might be more important than the hard cover configuration that you are shooting at. Because those things were the reason for the miss not the black paint, and working on those things will help more in the overall area.

Just some thoughts. Don't know if it makes sense or not. Stay mentally tough and things will come along. I think the others here are saying that as well.

Plan......then execute.

I was driving to work today and I realized that I've been mentally lazy. I haven't been as detailed oriented in my mental programs as I should. My mental programs have been concerned with target order and movement, but I have not been programing in what I do with my arms. I'm wondering if I program that in (now that I know what I need to do) if that would make a great difference. I think it might. ;)

Mrs. Ball,

You have studied this sport and you have had some good training. You have a very good idea about what you want to do, and even how it should be done. I wonder if you need to remain more focused on the overall system you are trying to develop rather than jump around to different parts of it.

Yep, I think there is some truth to that. Here's the bottom line, my number one priority is to fix the problem of losing the dot during transitions.

Thanks Coach...you know my shooting as well as anybody. ;)

Edited by Calamity Jane

Actually I think you are suffering from over analysis. If you're natural index is at one point and you're scope is at another....change the gun....that is a far easier fix than re-learning muscle memory. Some guru somewhere decided that it takes 3000 repetitions to make something a subconscious act....and about 9000 to change it. And then if you go back to your limited gun, you'll wonder why the heck you're off if you change your index. Get the gun ergonomically right for your body type and the way you naturally point.

Here is something in complete antithesis to the last bit of advice. Manage around your weaknesses. I'm not saying don't practice them at all - oh no... This sport is all about being well-rounded. However, think of it this way. If you devote a ton of time to fixing a weakness, where do you go...?? From dismal to almost awful? And where could that time have been better spent? If it is a skill that is a "once in while" challenge at a match, get to where it's good enough and move on. Don't get trapped in a "I'm not good at that" mentality when you see that issue presented on a stage. Nope, chin up and realize that it's probably only a small part of the overall match, that there are points to be had some place else, and that all you need to do is just be good enough, not the best.

An example, I am mediocre on reloads. If I hit 1.3 to 1.4 consistently, I'm having a good day. Now I could practice the snot out of them and get down to maybe 1.2 or 1.1 seconds. But at the same time, I may be giving up getting really, really good at something else that is a strength (accuracy, weak hand, target acquisition, etc). And seeing as how standing reloads are a very small part of the big picture (90-95% of the time don't we reload on the move?), should I give up time I could devote to becoming outstanding on movement or draw or transitions or accuracy? The meat and potatoes of the sport?

I'm starting to think the answer is no. You practice the weakness enough to where you know it isn't a liability but not to the point where you burn yourself out, getting beyond frustrated, only to gain a little ground. Nope, if I have a smoking draw and improve it to "kick a$$" then I will just eat the two tenths of a second it costs me in trade for the occasional standing reload.

Or maybe this "strength finder" course I just went thru has affected my judgement.... :lol:

I'd like to counterpoint Carina's post, because I agree with her in certain situations, but not overall.

In working to improve my shooting, and become a better shooter, I analyze my skill set, identify my weaknesses, and begin to address those with an emphasis on them in my practice sessions. I feel that believing that you can only make a minor difference in your weaknesses (and therefore, why work on them (much)) is a defeatist attitude in the scope of my personal mind game - it doesn't really work for me. I have found, time and time again, that if I focus on my weaknesses, and work them hard in practice, they become strengths. At the same time, I rank my skills against their relative priority in the game, and use that combined with my relative strength in those skills to decide what to work first. I also take my personal goals into account when I rank the importance of the skills. This process is laid out in Saul's "Thinking Practical Shooting" book, and I've found it very helpful.

For instance, Carina's right that standing reloads aren't relatively critical to the game - you can pick up points/speed in many other places more easily and with more effect on your score (assuming you don't fumble every reload). But - for me, with my personal goal of making GM, standing reloads as shot in classifiers are really pretty important. So, for me, in my goals, that bumps the priority up on reloads...

However - when I'm shooting a match, I also need to be aware of my weaknesses (and strengths, of course), and pick course strategies that emphasize my strengths and protect my weaknesses. So, I pick strategies that allow me to capitalize on my strengths, avoid my weaknesses, and also be aware of situations that might be traps for me given my skill set, and I can take appropriate action (additional focus on a particular part of a stage, etc).

I don't mean to hijack Jane's thread with this strength/weakness topic. But I would like to clarify that at no point did I say not to work on your weaknesses much. After all how would you know if it truly is a weakness unless you investigated your skill level by practicing it? What I meant is that if you allow yourself to get beyond frustrated, practicing something endlessly, it will affect your self image, especially if you just can't correct it or aren't getting it. And that can undermine your confidence when you're presented with the challenge in a stage. I think you could practice what ever the problem issue is enough to where it is acceptable/good enough and then move on. Come back to it later with fresh view after polishing something else that is a strength. For me, I have a very finite amount of time that I can actually practice. I don't want to burn up all that time focusing on only one thing because then my other skills will be out of balance and overall I won't have made much ground getting to the final destination.

Sorry my friend...I can't help you with that one :lol:

I know, I just enjoy reading your stuff!

I'm glad you enjoy reading it...because I enjoy writing down what I'm thinking and feeling. :)

I wanted to thank EVERYONE for their most recent posts. I feel like I got that breeze under my wings I was looking for. I began my day yesterday with a cup of coffe and a bowl of Cheerios watching the 2003 Nationals Open Super Squad DVD. I was specifically watching how they moved (arms). Watching confirmed that I'm on the right track. :) I'm anxious to see the result of better mental programs combined with correct arm movement. I feel like I've found a key. We shall see.

Nurture: to supply with noursihment; to further the development of.

Can one grow and develop without nurturing? I'm opening up the nature vs nurture argument because I was thinking about this all day yesterday as I once again decided NOT to train. I had every intention of training as I made my way to the Y to swim only to find out they were closed due to remodeling. That's when things went off track...or perhaps on track. I found myself at Walmart buying plants for my yard. I have been looking at the weeds in my yard for some time and have longed to fix the problem. I want a lovely yard that I can sit in and enjoy with friends and family. So yesterday I worked in the yard all day. My reward was a glass of wine on the patio listening to the gurgle of the fountain I made and looking at my overflowing flower boxes.

Fixing my yard nurtured me. However, all day I had to wrestle with the inner voice that told me I would regret taking the day off. I made a choice to stick to what I knew would be best for me. I chose to believe taking the day off would not hurt me but it would help me.

I got a call from work this morning. I was "called off" work today because of low census. This means I've got the entire day to train of do what I want. So I'm headed for the range this afternoon. :)

It took faith for me to make that choice yesterday. It worked out for me. I wonder how many other blessings I would receive if I would just stick to what I know is right and wait.

**Hey Hoppy...Am I still winning? :)

Sometimes, you just have to tune the voice of "The Committee" out... :lol: As you've already commented on a bunch in this diary, balance is key - and sometimes making choices to maintain balance means you end up in that internal dialog... I'm finding, though, that as I gain experience in maintaining balance - and that it not only doesn't hurt my performance, but actually helps it - I can shut that internal voice up without a problem. And, lately, my belief that I'll get exactly what I need (as opposed to what I want - or think I want), is being reinforced by that experience.

Sounds like you got exactly what you needed ;):lol:

Sometimes, you just have to tune the voice of "The Committee" out... :lol: As you've already commented on a bunch in this diary, balance is key - and sometimes making choices to maintain balance means you end up in that internal dialog... I'm finding, though, that as I gain experience in maintaining balance - and that it not only doesn't hurt my performance, but actually helps it - I can shut that internal voice up without a problem. And, lately, my belief that I'll get exactly what I need (as opposed to what I want - or think I want), is being reinforced by that experience.

Sounds like you got exactly what you needed ;):lol:

+1

Range Day 5/31/07

Total rounds approx 300

Group Shoot 25, 30, 50 yds (70 rds) SH/WH at (25yds)

I always start my practice with this and the more I do it the more I like it. I'm very pleased with my groups. Next practice I'm going to back up to the 60,70 yd range. I'm curious to see if I can still be in the A. The group shoot gives me a good focus on trigger pull, hold, and stance. Not many ranges can accommodate 50 yd shooting but I think Limited Nats in Oklahoma can. I'm preparing myself. If some smart alec wants to play poppers at 50 yards...I'll be ready ;)

Transitions with arms (70 rds)

I spread two targets about 15 yards apart and approximately 10 yards from the the box. I then did transitions using the arm movement I've wanted to work on. I did this at Thai Chi (don't know how to spell it) speed....meaning in slow motion. It's not fun to slow down, but that is what is required. Here is what I learned....The dot is the LAST thing to arrive. My eyes are first, my body is second, and then I need VISUAL PATIENCE to wait for the dot to arrive. Benos said something very profound in a thread once, "Saturate yourself with visual patience" That's where it's at baby!! Even though you're going fast you still have to wait and be patient. It's almost an oxymoron but I'm finding it true for me.

2 reload 2 (80 rds)

Same target structure as I did with transitions except I did a reload. Again I was focusing on my arms during the reload and then pushing back out onto target.

Reload on move (80 rds)

I did side to side movement with reloads again using the wide target structure and then I did one step reloads moving forward.

ElPrez (24 rounds)

Bill drill (12)

Dave and I were watching video of our matches thus far. I'm amazed all that I've learned in one month!!! I'm still as green as grass...but I'm also as fast growing as grass! I'm having fun.

It's June. Two more glorious months with my open gun before I switch back. I've talked to Matt Mclearn about working on my Limited gun. I'm going to send it to him after Open Nats so he can redo my trigger and spruce up my gun. I'm in love with my long flat trigger on my open gun and I'm looking forward to Matt working his magic on my Limited gun. :)

Ok Mrs. Ball,

You shot today and nothing here yet. I want to hear a report before the scores are out and we can then judge how well you are evaluating what you are doing? Any Mike's today?

Ok Mrs. Ball,

You shot today and nothing here yet. I want to hear a report before the scores are out and we can then judge how well you are evaluating what you are doing? Any Mike's today?

OK...I got beat. I deserved to get beat but somehow I don't feel bad about it. What was important about today's match was I moved my arms and body correctly and didn't lose the dot! So the body mechanics of my stages were good. I had some trouble on my first stage. I accidently hit the mag release button after a reload causing me to do an extra reload and having to rack the slide. That really was a shame because I had a really good run going. It's unlike me to do that so I'm not worried about it. I also had 3 mikes today which is really unlike me. I know why I miked and it was more of a mental error than a skill error. So...I'm very pleased with the body mechanics and I think I'll probably still have good points despite my mikes. I didn't win anything...but I won mentally because I've made progress on some of my weaknesses.

I talked to Shooter Girl on the phone tonight and she's coming to town in 2 weeks to kick my butt....so I'm planning on some serious dry fire for the next 2 weeks. She's going to use me as a warm up for Open Nationals! :o You go Shooter Girl!!! :bow:

Edited by Calamity Jane