Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

So, basically someone built a prop to intentionally abuse the shooter... especially the Open shooter :wacko:

Foam plugs should give you a little more protection, but I don't think you'd have had a whole lot of difference in the effect - that's still going to be damn concussive. You've got a setup similar to my ear protection, then - the lighter weight ProEars plus 16db Westone musician's plugs (which I only wear while shooting). Going to foam plugs, and "magnum" style muffs would make it quieter, but would also be a lot bulkier...

Hopefully you won't ever see that prop again... <_<

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, basically someone built a prop to intentionally abuse the shooter... especially the Open shooter :wacko:

I would like to think they didn't do it on purpose. Dave and I have found (OK more Dave than me) that designing safe, challenging, creative courses of fire is a difficult task. I know I learned quite a bit from this particular prop and I'm sure that the designers did too. ;)

XRE, I would pay good money to see you shoot 16 rounds through it using your hybrid barrel shortie! :lol::lol::lol: To see your face look like :wacko: might be fun.

Ok so maybe they did do it on purpose??? :P

designing safe, challenging, creative courses of fire is a difficult task.

Yeah, its not easy to be consistently creative - and every relatively new course designer thinks up some stuff like this every once in a while, and ends up with something that's just not fun for various reasons, but... :D Hopefully they won't do that to you again... :D

XRE, I would pay good money to see you shoot 16 rounds through it using your hybrid barrel shortie! :lol::lol::lol: To see your face look like :wacko: might be fun.

Let me at it!! I told you before, I live for concussion :D heh heh... I'm weird, though...

Ok so maybe they did do it on purpose??? :P

I know that at the '97 Open Nationals, there was one stage (the one the super squad ended on) that the ROs intentionally nailed a 2x6 up above the port in the last position, so that we could all "share the love".... At least, they told me they'd done it on purpose... no other reason for it to be there... :D I got a laugh out of it, cause even then, I was pretty immune to comp blast and such, but.... Sometimes the ROs or course designers can get these twisted little ideas, too.... ;)

For the record the guy that designed that prop does not own a open gun. And I think he told me it was like a prop used at the single stack a few years ago. He liked it then and wanted to build one for our club. I could see it getting used again as part of a stage sometime in the future. If you let me know when your coming back maybe we can work it in just for you :P

Edited by nipplehead

I thought the Porter County guys did a nice job of trying to implement an innovative prop. As has been pointed out, creating these types of things in a "trouble free" fashion is not easy. I have made two attempts at a turret type device and although they were both received favorably, I was never satisfied with the result. With persistence and tweaking, these types of things are what end up at Area and National matches getting "oohs" and "aahhs". I wonder how many attempts it took to get swingers, drop turners, Texas stars, etc., to work in a satisfactory manner.

I started down a mental cow path in my mind today and had to stop myself and re-focus!! I was thinking about others shooting abilities instead of my own. It started innocently as I was looking over scores posted on USPSA and then I got thinking of wanting to shoot a certain % of so and so and how I didn't want so and so to beat me. STOP!!!! I put the mental breaks on because I can't win thinking about others. I can only get a peak performance when I'm totally focused on MY SHOOTING!!

SO I've been sitting here trying to come up with a focused training plan specifically targeted at the Indiana State match. I'm going to target the next 5 weeks of training for the State match. I'm training to get a peak performance. The cool thing about peak performance is that it's the best you can do. That's all you can do really. There is always going to be someone better than you on any given day. The key is to be able to turn out your best and see what happens.

I've just looked through Saul's Book "Thinking Pactical Shooting". I was looking at the section where you rank the shooting elements you need to work on. I've identified in previous post what I want to work on in May but now I'm looking at the more specific areas to focus on.

I'm going to divide my live shooting into 2 sections: fundamentals and movement. I'm also going to increase my round count on practice sessions. I'm going up to 500 a week. Fundamentals gets 250 and movement gets 250. I may have to do some dry fire work with the movement to get the full benefit. I don't think I can keep up with loading if I shoot more. I will continue dry fire and depend on that time to keep my draw, and standing reloads fresh.

Fundamentals

Group shooting

Swingers

4- Steel

Speed shoot (bill drill, elprez, fast target arrays)

SH/WH

Reload on move

Movement

Enter/Exit Boxes

Shooting on move (lateral, hallways)

Ports

Moving and finding first target

I think focusing on these elements will help me be more competitive. Plan to practice tomorrow. Brass is going to be flying all over the range :o Maybe the 12 year old will be interested in picking it up for a few $ :)

Hey Jane,

Can I suggest a goal of 95% give or take of the match points available?

example:

Your next club match has 6 stages.

1........25 shots for 125 points

2........12 shots for 60 points

3........19 shots for 95 points

4........31 shots for 155 points

5.........8 shots for 40 points

6.........17 shots for 85 points

Total points in the match........560

Shooting 530 would be 94.6%

But you need to do it while under control and with accuracy and dillgence.

I'll give you my first Area win numbers for an example too.

total availabe points in the match.

Points I shot.

so by the numbers................

1631 devided by 1755 equals 92.93%

What that does is keeps you away from that cow trail you mentioned earlier, and keeps you focused on the job at hand...........shooting points.

It has always worked for me, and when I stray down that trail I step in the $hjt. ;)

Oh and it doesn't matter what division you are shooting in either. :)

Hope it helps, if it doesn't you have complete permission to knock the Whale out of me next time our paths cross on the points HI way!!!!

Hopalong

Just did a little point analysis on some of the local matches I've shot thus far. My best match so far was at Fort Wayne where I shot 95% of the points. I zeroed a stage at Walbash Valley last month..throwing that stage out (because it's not like me to zero a stage :) )...I shot 86% of the points.

Thanks for showing me how to do this Hop. It's something to keep my eye on. :D

3 - the fast swinger is tough to trap, as Matt says. Practice leading them at different speeds and distances. One drill that comes to mind is to activate the swinger with a popper, and then shoot a bill drill on it, focusing on all As. Do that at different distances and speeds. Then you'll be able to also adapt to targets you'd intended to trap, but the timing got off (you got there earlier than expected, or something happened in between and cost you some time) - this way you can save some time, rather than waiting for another oscillation

Just got back from the range...did the fundamental workout. I intended to try the bill drill on the swinger. My goal was to just shoot 4 rounds onto it. :lol::lol::lol: I don't think so XRE. I think this is up there with loading 600 rounds in an hour. I'm having a hard time believing this is possible. I work my swingers at around 13 yards with a pretty brisk swing. Four rounds at the pause wasn't happening for me! <_<

Would you suggest that I move closer like 10 yards and slow it down to learn how to do this drill??? When you practice varying distances and speeds what's a good way to proceed? Do you master one speed and then tackle another? Do you master one distance and then move on to another? I'm incorporating this swinger everytime I shoot because it's a weakness and because I do believe it is a fundamental in IPSC shooting. Help....someone....

3 - the fast swinger is tough to trap, as Matt says. Practice leading them at different speeds and distances.

Just got back from the range...did the fundamental workout. I intended to try the bill drill on the swinger. My goal was to just shoot 4 rounds onto it. :lol::lol::lol: I don't think so XRE. I think this is up there with loading 600 rounds in an hour. I'm having a hard time believing this is possible. I work my swingers at around 13 yards with a pretty brisk swing. Four rounds at the pause wasn't happening for me! <_<

Reading Dave's quote, the part I bolded jumped out at me. I think he was suggesting that you shoot a bill drill on the moving swinger, so that you can learn how to shoot the swinger in less than ideal fashion, when the plan to trap it doesn't work.....

If you've got access to a Bianchi match ---- I found a few of them invaluable as practice. The mover and plate racks especially, since I don't normally have access to those....

Wow, girl, that's a manly attempt!!! :D Nik is right on - the idea is to just follow (well, really, lead) the thing and put 6 on the A-zone, as far as you can get them there... ;)

Wow, girl, that's a manly attempt!!! :D Nik is right on - the idea is to just follow (well, really, lead) the thing and put 6 on the A-zone, as far as you can get them there... ;)

Dave I'd be happy to get 2 in the A zone! This whole concept of 6 in the A zone seems a little....what's the word....over ambitious. I'm planning another practice session on Monday. I know you wouldn't lead me wrong so I'm going to try it again..but at 10 yards..and I'm going to put more pause at the bottom of the arch. Is this a master's level drill? <_<

Is this a master's level drill? <_<

No... :D You'll notice I didn't give you a par time or anything... ;) Start in at 7 yards, and set the swinger up to swing as slow as you can make it. Follow the swinger, and shoot along the whole arc (not blindly, of course - follow the target with the gun, with enough lead to keep the holes in the A-zone). If you can't get it to slow down enough for starters, activate it, and let it take a couple of swings, and then go... Also, the target should be just a swinger - no no-shoots, or hardcover, or anything. Just activate it, and shoot it.

The point here is not to trap the swinger (that's another drill, right?), or to shoot a blazing fast Bill Drill, but to learn to time and follow the swinging motion, what lead you'll need to hit the A-zone (ie, where to aim on the target), and gaining confidence in hitting the thing while its moving, regardless of where it is in the arc. You really don't have to stop at 6 shots, either - you could do whole magazines... the swinger slows down a lot over that time, though, so the learning part of the drill really stops after several swings.

Another way of putting it - perhaps look at this drill as simply a "get used to shooting moving swingers in places other than at the stationary parts of the arc" drill, and not a "see how many rounds we can bust on the target as quick as possible" drill ???

As your confidence improves, there are several ways to raise the challenge, if you like - speed the swinger up, move further back, or start imposing a par time. Or all three, or combos thereof. Ideally, you'd work this at several common distances (say, 7, 15, 25) and determine what pace and lead you need to hit the A-zone at each.

ETA... remember that the point of practice is to learn and improve - the first few times you run the drill, you might not hit all As (heck, if I set it up right now, I might not hit all As, either...). Its a goal to move towards, and the ideal result. If you drop some points, especially at first, that's ok... ;)

Edited by XRe

Is this a master's level drill? <_<

The point here is not to trap the swinger (that's another drill, right?), or to shoot a blazing fast Bill Drill, but to learn to time and follow the swinging motion, what lead you'll need to hit the A-zone (ie, where to aim on the target), and gaining confidence in hitting the thing while its moving, regardless of where it is in the arc. You really don't have to stop at 6 shots, either - you could do whole magazines... the swinger slows down a lot over that time, though, so the learning part of the drill really stops after several swings.

I thought the drill was to do a bill drill at the pause!!! Duh :blink: I get it now. I'm teaching myself a NEW SKILL...the ability to lead a swinger during it's arch and still get hits. It makes sense now. I can see the value of this new skill. Just like you said, if you can do this you will be able to shoot a swinger even if you miss the pause. Duh! Sometimes I'm slow. Thanks all you guys who have been trying to tell me...I think I got it now. :)

Jane,

An example of what david is talking about would be a swinger that is activated from behind a barricade and the other end of the swing is behind a barrel, No shoot or other something.

The skill set he is talking about is how to shoot that thing while it is in it's swing arc instead of the dead spot at the ends (because you can't see the dead spot).

The way I practice it is put a static target at each end of the swing arc and consider them hard cover. I activate the swinger with a steel then work two shots on the swinger, depending on the speed one shot each direction of the swing or if it is slow enough two shots in one swing of the arc. start at a close range and work out with the gain of confidence. ;) With time, a 50 yard swinger will be a walk in the park :D (well maybe not but you won't have to worry about them)

Hop

I didn't make it to the range today. I had a sick kid, no ammo, and ran out of time. Such are the realities of life. However, I did get some ammo loaded, the kid is feeling a little better, and perhaps I'll make it on Wednesday.

Shot a match yesterday. Total stage points available 460 I shot 422 for a percent of 91.7% I won a stage but did not win open division. Once again this match confirmed the things I need to work on. I'm going to post video of 2 stages.

Barrel stage: This is the stage I won. I didn't shoot it the fastest but I got 87 out of the 90 points available. I liked my movement from each position. I don't know if that was the fastest way to do it but it sure did give me 3 comfortable shooting positions. My biggest disappointment is the time I waste after I get the gun on target. I'm wasting a good .5 sec after I get into postitions before I pull the trigger. Again I think this is me making that first shot perfect. The position of targets is around 14 yards. BTW I have knee pads on under my pants. ;)

Field Course: I liked that I shot this stage aggressive. I think I did a good job moving with my gun. I got beat by 2 seconds on this stage and I think it was simply because I didn't take targets on the move. I wanted to and I was in position to do it...but I chose not to because I haven't proven that I can do it with my open gun in practice. AGAIN this is something on my May training list!! I also need to figure out how to explode out of the shooters box. Again..work on it in May.

I got an IPOD for Mother's Day. My 14 year old loaded it up. I found the Wolfmother song "Woman" and asked my son what it was. He says in his best 14 year old voice, "It's Woman!" He said it like I should know. So I listened to it and thought if was a pretty good lick to use for the video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3218596136390854073

Mental management

Today was about having the discipline not to train. It was a battle of passion against patience. I've said before that to shoot I have to have balance. The balance that I seek is in what I call my plate rack (spiritual, family, exercise, work, shooting) Today my spiritual and family plates needed attention. So instead of going to the range as my passion was pushing me. I said NO! Instead: I cleaned out the refrigerator that looked like a mad scientist's experiment, made a pumpkin pie, went to the doc seeking drugs for my sinus infection, had a spiritual quite time, went to the grocery store and filled my clean refridge with good food for my family to eat.

Passion is a powerful force to be reckoned with. It's urgent and demanding. It's full of drive and energy. It can consume you. I'm learning as I get older that patience can be as powerful as passion.

I still believe the turtle wins the race. I made a choice to be a turtle today.

Well it was worth the wait. Today was a gorgeous day, clear skies, 70 degrees, cool breeze. The range was serene. I wish I could describe what I feel when I'm at the range by myself. An inner quiet comes over me that soaks through to my soul. I don't know what it means or why it happens...it just happens...and I let it...and I walk away more peaceful than I came.

Here's what I did

Group shooting at 25 yards

I wanted to test myself today. I have been shooting my SH at 15 yards and my WH at 10 yards on the group shoot. Today I wanted to see if I could shoot SH and WH at 25 yds. I found out that I could and I'm feeling a little cocky about it. B) SH at 25 yards 9 alpha and 1 charlie, WH at 25 yds 5 alpha and 5 charlie. What was really interesting was my SH and freestyle groups looked the same. When I'm able to get all alpha across the board...I'll really be hard to live with :lol: I was trying to think why I was able to do that so well today. Here's some things that I think helped: long flat trigger (I'm loving it), comp on the end of my gun (really lov'in that too), a stronger hold. I've become physcially stronger recently in my upper body and torso. I think all the work I've been doing is starting to pay off. I think I could do it simply because I was stong enough to hold the gun still. Upper body strength is something you boys take for granted. ;)

Shooting through port with SH only

I needed to see how to do this. The Indiana state match has a stage that this may be required. Stages are posted on the web site so this is NOT CHEATING! I have a story about Michael Voigt giving me a dirty look at Nationals which I really want to tell right now but I'm going to show some self control and not tell it. I might be coaxed though ;) Anyway, once again I found out I could do it.

Box to Box picking up gun off barrel

Last weekend there was a stage where there were 3 boxes. The middle box had a barrel with your loaded gun on it. 2 strings: First string start on right, move to middle box, retrieve gun and engage 3 targets at 7 yards. Second string, start on left, and then do the same thing. I set this stage up again because I had trouble finding my dot when I picked up the gun off the barrel. Here is what I've learned about picking up the open gun. I can not pick the gun up and then bring it to the target with straight arms. I can get away with this with my limited gun. I've found that I need to pick it up with some bend in my elbows so that I can have at least a 6 inch push out to the target. I don't know what it is, but if I bring those elbows back a little and push out to the target...like I normally do on the draw...I'm on target. Anyone else found this to be true?

Shooting on the move

I was disappointed that I chickened out last weekend and didn't take some targets on the move. So I set some targets up and shot them moving laterally and forward. I could have done that all day. I LOVE SHOOTING WHILE MOVING! Oh Yeah, I found out I can do that to.

Swinger Experiment

I was running out of time but I tried shooting the swinger...leading it...like you all have been trying to tell me. I haven't mastered it yet. I still want to instinctively shoot at the pause or at 10 and 2 when shooting at the top of the arch. I'll need to spend some more time with this. I did figure something out though. I had the swinger set at it's fastest swing. I had the weight all the way up. When you put the weight all the way down it has much more of a pause. Duh!! :blink:

All in all it was a positive day at the range. I came away feeling more confident in what I can do. Confidence is a HUGE piece in this game. Practice makes me feel confident. I can hardly wait for my next session. :)

A special thank you to my husband who changed all the sticks in our shooting stands! You didn't have to do it but I know you did it for me. Thank you!! :wub::wub:

The following story is dedicated to my Mom who passed away 10 years ago. Thanks Mom for teaching me how to climb mountains. You were the wind beneath my wings. I miss you.

Climb Every Mountain

When I was 8 years old my Dad took the family to a Boy Scout Camp in New Mexico called Philmont. We all had activites to do while we were there but the highlight for me was when my Mom, Dad and I climbed the mountain called "The Tooth of Time". I started out the climb with great energy and was wondering why all the adults were going so slow. It wasn't long until I started to fatigue. My pace slowed so much my Dad didn't want to wait on me anymore. So my Mom and I continued up the mountain by ourselves. We proceeded by taking 12 steps and then rested....followed by 12 steps and then rested. All the way up the mountain that is what we did. We reached the top exhausted. I didn't reach the summit because there was approximately 25-30 yards of boulders you had to climb. I stayed just below the summitt with a cantene of water, a box of crackers, and a can of squeeze cheese. My Mom summitted and was rewarded with a view in which you could see several states....so I'm told.

I was thinking how my journey on the mountain with my Mom was much like my shooting journey now. I'm trying to get to the top of a mountain 12 steps at a time. I train (12 steps) go to a match (stop and rest) find out by my match results that I'm not at the top yet. SOOO I train (12 steps) go to a match (stop and rest) find out by my match results that I'm not at the top and continue on..... It took all I had as an 8 year old to get to the top of that mountain. I'm feeling similar challenges with this journey. I'm wondering how many steps is it going to take? One thing is for certain. I will summit this time. So until then....12 more steps.

Match Summary for Walbash Valley 5/20/07

Got beat by the usual peeps. Some single stack guy had the nerve to take the HOA! Imagine that!! Nice match Tony. ;) I think you were just showing off for your wife. Leave her at home next time :lol: Just kidding..it was good to see Deb. Anyway, I shot 90% of the points available, did not win any stages, lost my dot on a field course. Does all of this sound familiar?

I had a guy ask me how big my dot was in my CMore. I told him it didn't matter what size the dot was if it wasn't in your lense!! I know I'm one step closer to figuring out my dot problem. I can index anything...in any position...as long as I have a slight elbow bend that allows me to push out. Straight arms are deadly for me...problem is that is what my muscle memory has programed. Which is why at a match I lose the dot. When I go to shoot in my subconscious I get in trouble with this. Which is why I need more time in dry fire and live fire practice so I can get it into my muscle memory. I'm shooting at the range today. 12 more steps...

I sure could use an encouraging word....I need a little wind under my wings. (insert face with tears)

Edited by Calamity Jane

Hang in there, Jane :) I warned you that changing over to the dot could be a challenge - this is exactly why. In dry fire, perhaps focus only on your gun presentation, right now. Slow everything way back down, and work presentation forwards and backwards (ie, from where the weak hand gets on the gun, to pulling the trigger). Slowly build the speed back up. When you have time and you're not doing dry fire (say, on a break at work or whatever), close your eyes, and visualize how you want the gun to move up to presentation, and how you want it to look and feel when its there (specifically include the elbow bend, since that seems to be key for you).

You're doing all the right stuff. And, the challenge you have here is both common, and curable - and you already have the right antidote. You just need time for it to take effect.

Next time someone asks you your dot size, tell them "The right size to kick your butt!!!" :D