Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I had a few people tell me that they didn't know what to do with the knife. There are a few things I will do different next year, but for the most part, this stage worked just like I wanted it to. Everyone that looked at those targets took just a minute to THINK!!! Most of the stages at our match are a lot of shooting. I wanted at least one where you had to slow down a little bit and use your brain!

Would you guys mind telling me what you didn't like about the match?....other than not having the scores that is. By the way, the ladies are still working on them. I am sure as soon as they are done, Tennille will send out an e mail to everyone. Thanks, and I am looking forward to hearing everyones answers. We all want the match to keep getting better every year!

TG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Travis, good to hear from you. This was a great match! My first one, and I've never seen anything like it. I hate to say anything critical at all, considering all the effort put into it by everyone. You guys did a bang up job, and should be proud of a job well done.

I will offer a few comments, though. Nothing is critical of you or anyone. But there is always room for improvement in anything, particularly something as complicated as this.

Safety is first and foremost in any match. Many of these stages had potential safety problems which are not present with other matches. But without these risks, the Ironman would not be the great match that it is. Great ROs (as well as good course design) are required to keep on top of things, and you had them in spades, as well as mature, experienced and responsible competitors. One problem which I observed which needs to be addressed was the low berm between stages 1 and 2 which created a line of fire situation. A shooter on my squad was shooting the shotgun portion of stage 2 while an RO from stage one was in his direct line of fire resetting the rifle star on stage 1. The distance was sufficient that there was probably little hazard from bird shot, but the stage called for shooting slugs, pistol and rifle from the same position. The berm either needs to be significantly higher, or better communication between ROs on the two stages so that no one is shooting on stage 2 while people on 1 are down range, or have no long range targets on 1 which need resetting. I mentioned this to Mike, so he is aware of it.

Although I was very apprehensive of the zip line at first, it turned out to be a real blast, and what a great addition to the match! I still was concerned, though, about the possibility of someone shooting their own foot. I'm not sure what to do about it, but it's at least something to keep in mind. The fact that no one did is a tribute to the quality of ROs, shooters and equipment design.

I would consider some modification to the rigging on the zip line which would reduce the twisting experienced by the shooters. This put an uncontrollable variable into the stage which limited the ability of some shooters, like me, to engage some of the targets (hey, I need some kind of excuse for my score!).

Another change to the zip line stage would be to increase the penalty for not "flying the zip", so that potential scores for running or flying would be approximately equal. I wouldn't want to force anyone up that tower who has a real problem with it, but as it was people who chose to fly were actually taking a scoring penalty (but they had a lot more fun).

I don't know, that's about all that I can think of. I suppose some of the ROs could tone down the coaching just a little, but that's such an individual thing. And I wouldn't want to discourage any of your ROs, as they are absolutely essential for running the match. For the most part they did a very good job under trying conditions.

Oh, and it would have been nice to know that the stick was a weapon, dang nabbit!

In any event, it was a wonderful match. I learned a lot about me and my equipment, and I'll be making improvements for next year. You guys are right, it's the most fun you can have with your guns on!

PS: I'd really like to win a gun next year!

Catch 22 on coaching and encouragement. IMO it has to be all or nothing. The vast majority of shooters would time out every stage without the help. So would you rather time out or be yelled at a little? Also you need to remember that everything about match is unique, so you can't excpect it to be run like everything else.

AG

Hey Travis, good to hear from you. This was a great match! My first one, and I've never seen anything like it. I hate to say anything critical at all, considering all the effort put into it by everyone. You guys did a bang up job, and should be proud of a job well done.

I will offer a few comments, though. Nothing is critical of you or anyone. But there is always room for improvement in anything, particularly something as complicated as this.

Safety is first and foremost in any match. Many of these stages had potential safety problems which are not present with other matches. But without these risks, the Ironman would not be the great match that it is. Great ROs (as well as good course design) are required to keep on top of things, and you had them in spades, as well as mature, experienced and responsible competitors. One problem which I observed which needs to be addressed was the low berm between stages 1 and 2 which created a line of fire situation. A shooter on my squad was shooting the shotgun portion of stage 2 while an RO from stage one was in his direct line of fire resetting the rifle star on stage 1. The distance was sufficient that there was probably little hazard from bird shot, but the stage called for shooting slugs, pistol and rifle from the same position. The berm either needs to be significantly higher, or better communication between ROs on the two stages so that no one is shooting on stage 2 while people on 1 are down range, or have no long range targets on 1 which need resetting. I mentioned this to Mike, so he is aware of it.

Although I was very apprehensive of the zip line at first, it turned out to be a real blast, and what a great addition to the match! I still was concerned, though, about the possibility of someone shooting their own foot. I'm not sure what to do about it, but it's at least something to keep in mind. The fact that no one did is a tribute to the quality of ROs, shooters and equipment design.

I would consider some modification to the rigging on the zip line which would reduce the twisting experienced by the shooters. This put an uncontrollable variable into the stage which limited the ability of some shooters, like me, to engage some of the targets (hey, I need some kind of excuse for my score!).

Another change to the zip line stage would be to increase the penalty for not "flying the zip", so that potential scores for running or flying would be approximately equal. I wouldn't want to force anyone up that tower who has a real problem with it, but as it was people who chose to fly were actually taking a scoring penalty (but they had a lot more fun).

I don't know, that's about all that I can think of. I suppose some of the ROs could tone down the coaching just a little, but that's such an individual thing. And I wouldn't want to discourage any of your ROs, as they are absolutely essential for running the match. For the most part they did a very good job under trying conditions.

Oh, and it would have been nice to know that the stick was a weapon, dang nabbit!

In any event, it was a wonderful match. I learned a lot about me and my equipment, and I'll be making improvements for next year. You guys are right, it's the most fun you can have with your guns on!

Catch 22 on coaching and encouragement. IMO it has to be all or nothing. The vast majority of shooters would time out every stage without the help. So would you rather time out or be yelled at a little? Also you need to remember that everything about match is unique, so you can't excpect it to be run like everything else.

AG

I agree 100%! This will never be a USPSA match, nor should it be. Like you say, it's unique. This was my first Ironman, so it was something of an eye opener. Some coaching is needed, and appreciated. Occassionally it went a little too far, in my opinion, but my too far is someone else's just right. Everyone has their way of doing things, and I wouldn't want any changes forced on the ROs. Great bunch of people who volunteer to work their butts off so that a bunch of yahoos like me can have fun. They are a treasure! They did a great job of maintaining safety and running things smoothly. I shouldn't have mentioned coaching, because in a match like this a certain level of coaching is needed. Actually, I think it added to the fun.

But beyond the ROs, much thanks go to the Gibsons and Chidesters for their efforts. It's obviously a labor of love!

This was the most fun I've ever had with a gun, so I owe a lot to everyone involved in putting this thing on. I just hope that I'm recovered enough by next year to do it again!

Hey Joe,

Thank you for your thoughts. Sorry I didn't get back with you before now, but I have been working the last two days trying to get the scores finished! They are almost done though! Anyway I have replyed to your comments below.

I think the fact no one shot themselvs has to do more with the caliber of shooters than it does the RO's! We had serious discussions about this before we placed the targets, but we tried to look at it like any other. Granted, on this one there is more potential to shoot yourself, but in the end we thought it is still the shooters responsability to be safe and not shoot themselvs.

We are working on that too.

You are right there! We spent a ton of time and late nights (9:30 for about 3 nights and Memorial day too!) building that stupid thing, and next year people are going to ride it weather they like it or not!!!! In all seriousness, next year the penalty will be huge for not going down the line.

I understand what you mean here Joe. I really like to stick with my own gameplan when I shoot too. I have found that if you just let the RO's know that you have a plan and would not like any help, they will respect your wishes.

Something that we will try to make well known to everyone next year is that THIS IS NOT A USPSA MATCH! We really want people to think outside of that box when they come here. We really want people to be able to come here and see something they have never done before! I am sure as long as Mike is running the show, that won't be a problem! Take care, and hopefully we'll see you soon.

TG

My suggestions look like they have already been discussed but here is my take on it. I think that the penalty or bonus should be a lot more than 60 seconds for using the Zipline and the Tower. Any big thing you guys build should either be mandatory or a huge penalty like maybe 120 seconds or even the 300 second penalty for slug/rifle on pistol steel. I also wouldn't mind some style points for my Superman cape :rolleyes: on the zipline.

This was my first Ironman and it was awesome. Thanks for the match and I look forward to being there next year.

Happy Shooting,

Dave

Yeah thats me. And Bryan was there going for the Tinkerbell look. There is a chance that you see a freak in blue spandex with a red S next year running a stage. And I hear Tinkerbell is thinking about being Peter Pan green tights and all.

-Dave

Yeah thats me. And Bryan was there going for the Tinkerbell look. There is a chance that you see a freak in blue spandex with a red S next year running a stage. And I hear Tinkerbell is thinking about being Peter Pan green tights and all.

-Dave

Dave..

Please pass to Bryan that I am looking forward to hearing reports about his new SJC open glock.

:cheers:

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I know it isn’t afternoon anymore, but it is still Friday…at least for 4 more hours… These will be posted on the web ASAP.

I would first and foremost like to thank all of you for your patience in this trying time! I am awed and oh so grateful for the Ironman shooters. I am continually impressed by the high caliber of individuals who wait patiently (or almost) nearly a week for the results. We have been working assiduously to get these out and since the words “Delayed Gratification” are not in my personal vocabulary, I can WELL understand how all of you feel.

You will receive another email re: housekeeping items on Monday regarding lost and found and a few other things…

If any of you know Shelly Beale, Tammy Sullivan, or Tony Troutman you owe them your thanks. All of them have been working diligently all week (even taking time off work) to get these done as quickly as possible.

I have inserted the results below and have attached the complete results as well.

DPMS/Heavy Rifle winner – TATE MOOTS – Tate will also receive a killer rifle donated by DPMS

Trooper Winner – Brandon Angell – Brandon will receive an M1-A donated by Springfield Armory

DLBF Trooper – Ronald Harris – He will be receiving a Rifle donated by Cavalry Arms

Scoped Tactical Winner – Dave Neth

Limited Winner – Scott Kurtz

Open Winner – Matt Burkett

High Lady Goes to Roxanna Durham

High Law/Mil goes to Dave Neth

High Sr. goes to TJ Reeder

Ironuguy (that’s Iron Nu Guy, in case you don’t know) goes to Dennis Larsen. Dennis will also receive an AWESOME holster donated by EJ Redding of M & B Strategies.

DLBF – This is the Dead Last But Finished (don’t laugh, we’ve all been there!) This goes to John Stamp who will also be receiving a holster donated by EJ Redding of M & B Strategies. This way you’ll look good no matter how the shoot goes!

Below are the places that will receive trophies. Please make sure your name is spelled correctly as they will be personalized and mailed out.

BASED ON OVERALL PERCENTAGES WITHIN EACH SPECIFIC CLASS

Grand Master 95-100%

Master 85-94.9%

A 75-84.9%

B 60-74.9%

C 40-59.9%

D 2-40%

OPEN

Overall – Matt Burkett 100%

2nd Overall Open Robert Johnson 66.86%

3rd Overall Open Todd Crow 63.76%

1st B Class Ernest Durham 62.94%

1st C Class Travis Gibson 56.43%

2nd C Class Lyle Beale 52.08

1st D Class Larry Correia 34.98%

Limited

Overall Scott Kurtz 100%

2nd Overall Randy Stevens 94.75%

3rd Overall John Bagakis 94.53%

Scoped Tactical

Overall Dave Neth 100%

2nd Overall Bennie Cooley 92.01%

3rd Overall Bryan Cook 72.32%

1st B Class Sterling White 70.50%

2nd B Class Russell Batt 70.26%

3rd B Class Aaron Goodfellow 68.21%

1st C Class Dan Ward 59.50%

2nd C Class Dennis Larsen 58.18%

3rd C Class Gary Mowery 58.03%

4th C Class Andy Horner 57.74%

5th C Class Joe Durnbaugh 56.58%

1st D Class Eric Rogers 39.08%

2nd D Class Mario Chan 38.44%

3rd D Class Bryce Woodberry 37.79%

DPMS/Leupold Heavy Rifle

Overall Tate Moots 100%

2nd Overall Phillip Brodahl 87.66%

3rd Overall Jerod Johnson 78.56%

1st A Class David Letsch 75.62%

1st B Class Bruce Reid 68.07%

1st C Class Mark Gale 57.53%

1st D Class Ira Smith 39.97%

Trooper Class

Overall Brandon Angell 100%

2nd Overall Kevin Elpers 91.74%

3rd Overall Russell Phagan 78.64%

1st B Class Marcus Carter 74.47%

1st C Class Eryk Chidester 59.71%

1st D Class Ronald Harris 36.85%

Again, thanks to all of you for your patience. I can’t tell you how much it has been appreciated. Have a great weekend!

-Dave

Trooper class?

No we were trying to be tactical class. I figure if I can turn into Superman then I can see through walls and am bulletproof so like regular tactics are thrown out the window. Too bad Superman had never been taught how to load a gun fast before and hit the first two targets with something more then just his laser vision. Next year he should do better since he has been shown how it works.

This was by far the best, most challenging, physically demanding and most fun 3 gun match I have ever been to. I've never met a better group of ROs. Great ROs really make a big difference in a shooter's perception of the match, and these guys were awesome. I RO for big matches back home and know how much work they do, they have my respect!

The Parma range is a tip top facility to begin with. Then the MGM guys put forth a hurculean effort by setting 11 hard core stages! Nothing can prepare you for the large scale of this match and the stages.

The course designs were great. They had a huge variety and kept things interesting. My favorite stages were Firefight, where you had to carry a pack the entire time (trooper), rescue a dummy, shoot under a car, breach a door, and shoot an attack target, all the while not leaving any gear behind! The props for that stage were perfect. I also really liked the blind stage! I love blind stages. The only way I think you could significantly improve the Ironman is for all the stages to be surprise/blind stages.

Trooper class was really cool. Thanks to the crew from Cav Arms for making that happen. Its a great concept, making these matches more physically demanding, as well as demanding more reliability from our guns and gear. If you think you and your gear are ready for anything, you won't find a better way to put it to the test.

Many thanks to everyone involved and to the sponsors.

For those of you who were at previous Ironman comps, one of our favorite people, STEWART LEWIS, has passed away this past Saturday of a heart attack. I will miss him terribly...I knew his friends at MGM and all the Ironman competitors would like to say some prayers for his family...

Cheryl :)

For those of you who were at previous Ironman comps, one of our favorite people, STEWART LEWIS, has passed away this past Saturday of a heart attack. I will miss him terribly...I knew his friends at MGM and all the Ironman competitors would like to say some prayers for his family...

Cheryl :)

All of the MGM crew is praying for comfort and peace for Stewarts family. Just like everyone else that has posted on this forum, Stewart was one of my favorite people to see at the range.

One of my favorite stories about him, other than his shotgun getting locked up by the TSA, was about how he finished at the Ironman each year. Last year about half way through the match, he says to me, "Things are looking good Trav!". So I asked him what he was talking about. He told me he was going to win "High Bro" for the third year in a row!

You will be missed Stewart, and the only regret I have is that I wasn't able to spend more time in your great company!

Via con Dios

TG

• 3 weeks later...