Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 Vent Rib Rear Sight

mpeltier

post-6767-1170256398.jpgpost-6767-1170256446.jpgAfter using my Benelli M2 for a few months now with a rear sighting modification I made to the rear of the rib (for slug shooting of course) I thought I would share it with you all. It is very simple, I simply ground a groove in the rear of the rib where it slopes down towards the receiver and then filled the groove with white paint. The resultant sight picture with the fiber optic front sight is similar to the old Berretta 92 sights with two dots, one slightly above the other. My first trip to the range was with a piece of masking tape attached to the back of the rib with a pencil line dead center to make sure the point of aim centered to the barrel was matching the point of impact. In my case with my choke choice it was dead on. I simply used the pencil line as my starting point and started grinding. I started carefully with a dremel abrasive cut off wheel and finished it up with a round gunsmith file. A little at a time and a little trial and error I had the shape to give a perfect dot when sighting down the barrel. When not shooting slugs I do not even notice it is there. Having a spot to index the front sight on has been a tremendous help to making more accurate slug shots.

• 1 year later...
post-6767-1170256398.jpgpost-6767-1170256446.jpgAfter using my Benelli M2 for a few months now with a rear sighting modification I made to the rear of the rib (for slug shooting of course) I thought I would share it with you all. It is very simple, I simply ground a groove in the rear of the rib where it slopes down towards the receiver and then filled the groove with white paint. The resultant sight picture with the fiber optic front sight is similar to the old Berretta 92 sights with two dots, one slightly above the other. My first trip to the range was with a piece of masking tape attached to the back of the rib with a pencil line dead center to make sure the point of aim centered to the barrel was matching the point of impact. In my case with my choke choice it was dead on. I simply used the pencil line as my starting point and started grinding. I started carefully with a dremel abrasive cut off wheel and finished it up with a round gunsmith file. A little at a time and a little trial and error I had the shape to give a perfect dot when sighting down the barrel. When not shooting slugs I do not even notice it is there. Having a spot to index the front sight on has been a tremendous help to making more accurate slug shots.

I've been shooting shotgun for some time, but have never been taught the correct sight picture. Is the correct, or conventional sight picture, to have the bead flush with the vent rib rib, as in your first picture?

I'm not I understand flush ?? In that picture the sight is set-up to shoot a slug on paper,

the rib is flat to view, the impact is going to be at the very top edge of the front bead, and the

rear white paint notch is to line up with the bead right to left for windage. For birshot you just

look down the rib, flattening it out and put the bead right on the plate or popper.

All this ofcoarse you have to verify for your shotgun as to where yours hits at different distances.

You then can adjust the height of the bead to what you want by trying different ones. The only difference

from person to person is your cheek weld, or lack of a good one. Your eye is the rear sight when using

just the rib and bead.

I'm not I understand flush ?? In that picture the sight is set-up to shoot a slug on paper,

the rib is flat to view, the impact is going to be at the very top edge of the front bead, and the

rear white paint notch is to line up with the bead right to left for windage. For birshot you just

look down the rib, flattening it out and put the bead right on the plate or popper.

All this ofcoarse you have to verify for your shotgun as to where yours hits at different distances.

You then can adjust the height of the bead to what you want by trying different ones. The only difference

from person to person is your cheek weld, or lack of a good one. Your eye is the rear sight when using

just the rib and bead.

Thanks for the info. By "flush" I meant as you described "rib is flat to view".

Edited by jnfphd

• 3 months later...

Excellent tip...I will be trying that as well on my H&K M1 Super 90

• 2 months later...

It is never too late for the good words.

Great solution and really nice of you to share it. Thanks a lot.

• 9 months later...