Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Division Holster, 561 Or ?

cabdmd

I have searched and read about holster posts until I thought I have to post to get an answer about the Safariland 561.

I got a Blade-Tech (injection mold) holster for my 1911 and hated it. I am used to a CR Speed, but that won't help me in this division.

So I'm reading a post from Brian who says TGO likes the Safariland 651. It seems to be adjustable for cant and distance from the belt. I thought that maybe there was a concensus for a holster at the Nationals. Front Sight has posted what types of equipment shooters use for matches, but I have never seen this detail.

I did not like the close fit and straight vertical position of some of the others. People seem to like the Blade-Tech DOH, but it is maybe not an option for Single Stack.

I know holsters have been beat to death, but I really don't want to get another one just to put it on Ebay.

Hello: I have very limited knowledge on holsters but have tried the Safariland 560 and 561. I also did not like the Blade Tech injection molded holster either. I do like the Blackhawk non serpa holster better. Back to the Safariland holsters. The paddle 560-53 I liked the best. It holds the pistol out from my body a little more than the 561 does. The 560 does not adjust for cant but it has a good angle to it. With either the 560 or 561 they can be converted from a paddle to a belt holster in minutes. The other holsters I want to try are the Comp Tac locking paddle, Safariland #5182. The Safariland holsters are leather lined so they may be a little slower but I'm not that fast either. I want to use the same holster for IDPA and single stack. Lastly don't be afraid of the paddle 560 it is very stable. Hope this helps some. Thanks Eric

With either the 560 or 561 they can be converted from a paddle to a belt holster in minutes.

I did not understand this comment.

I guess the holster portion is the same although someone said the pistol rides higher with the belt rather than the paddle. It would appear the same to me.

s.561.jpg

If you can get a quick release and the holster does not have to be really close to the belt I would expect this to be the answer.

How does the 561 compare to the 5186?

s.5183.jpg

Hello: Sorry that was unclear on how to change from the paddle to the belt attachment. You can buy the other type of attachment from Safariland. You remove the mounting screws from the paddle and then attach the belt mount with the same three screws. Look at Brians store and see the different mounts. The belt mount does make the holster sit higher than the paddle. My 560-53 I use for my STI 2011 with short dust cover and also my Kimber single stacks. You just adjust the tension screw to suit. Hope this helps explain it better. Thanks Eric

Just a quick note, the injection molded holster ($20) isn't the best Bladetech has to offer. The heat formed stuff ($60) is much nicer. I've heard (but never felt for myself) that the Safariland Kydex is really tight fitting. My Bladetech is silky smooth.

Just a quick note, the injection molded holster ($20) isn't the best Bladetech has to offer. The heat formed stuff ($60) is much nicer. I've heard (but never felt for myself) that the Safariland Kydex is really tight fitting. My Bladetech is silky smooth.

I'm sure that's true. I would not expect the $15 holster to compare with a $60 on.

Sounds like the Safariland kydex is tight like the Blade-Tech economy model. I could not get the pistol out of the Blade-Tech when on my belt.

Edited by cabdmd

The 5186 is pretty much not usable It is very tight, seems like they fit the kydex but didnt allow for the suede lining, I have added extra spacers to adjustment but no luck you can get it to loosen that way but if the gun tilts forward any during the draw it jams. A better similar holster is the Hellwegs. Also suede lined Kydex they fit alot better.

The 5186 is pretty much not usable It is very tight,

Thanks for the reply.

I have received some good recommendations, but they are often designed more for concealment with a close fit to the body.

If I understand correctly the Safariland 56x is the only one that I can adjust for cant and space from the belt.

Hello: The 561 is the one if you want alot of cant to it. The 560 and the 561 both can be spaced further out. The 560 doesn't need it though. I use mine for IDPA and USPSA so I can't space it out. The Blackhawk I have you could space it out with washers for single stack and you can adjust the cant as well. I will give you some advice someone gave to me a while back and that is pick one and make it work for you. Kydex can be heated to loosen a holster or to change the pistol it was made for. Keep that in mind as well. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

The Blackhawk holster looks good if they are still available without the SERPA lock.

I did learn that the SIDEARMOR model does come with a speed cut. So I think it is at the top of the list now. I will have a chance to see one that a friend has next week.

It is incredible how much one learns by just slowing down a bit to gather info.

Edited by cabdmd

I did not like the close fit and straight vertical position of some of the others. People seem to like the Blade-Tech DOH, but it is maybe not an option for Single Stack.

No maybe to it. The DOH isn't legal for single stack and, depending on the final outcome of some proposed rule changes, may not be in other divisions for much longer. Time will tell.

I recently ordered a KyTac Sooper Hooper. Ask me again in a couple of weeks how I like it.

Lee

I've used this CQC non-SERPA for a while with good results.

CQC1.jpg

Don't care for the SERPA retention system.

I use the SERPA retention system when I carry one of my 1911 guns, particularly when I'm on my ATV. It's both secure and quick enough for general, real world use. It's even quick enough for some competitive use . . . until you miss the button. You only have to do that in a match once before you start looking for something better.

I've not tried the non SERPA version of the Blackhawk CQC. Instead I ordered a KyTac Sooper Hooper, a holster I've been looking at since I started looking at holsters. It should arrive in a week or so.

Lee

I've got a 561 for my K and L frames and a 5183 (similar to the 5186) for my 1911s. The 561 works fine; the suede lining doesn't work for me in the 5183 - when it's loose enough for an easy draw, it's too loose to walk around with IMO, and when it's tight enough to be safe, it's almost a two-handed draw. It's the worst of both the kydex and leather worlds.

I was wrestling with which holster to get for SS nationals as well. I ended up with the non serpa Blackhawk holster. I like this holster A LOT for competition.

I also have the aformentioned Safariland 560 for my SS pistol as well. Earlier today, I did a little modification to the front end of the holster to cut it down just a weeeeeeeeeeeeee bit to speed up the draw. Mine is the paddle version and it is very secure and stable. I just didn't care for how high up the holster went above the ejection port. I use this holster for IDPA purposes. I was worried about cutting into the 560 holster as I didn't want to ruin it. But the operation was a success and the pistol comes out of the holster much quicker now, yet the holster still retains the pistol nicely.

check out Hellwegs at Brownell's suede lined kydex, well made angle is 360 adjustable, got about 3" of vertical adjustment. A couple diferent holsters are available differing in how much of the ejection port is covered and there are two belt plates, one made to provide clearance for a police type jacket and a closer fitting one that drops a little lower. May be your ticket due to the wide range of adjustment.

I am still trying to gather information on the Sidearmor model and have not ruled out the Blade-Tech stingray. It evidently is the same holster as the DOH but with a different hanger to be at belt level.

I hope to hook up with someone at a match to see one of these.