Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening The Compensator?

DrawandDuck

Has anyone removed the last 2 side chambers (ports) of this compensator??? I just got one and it looks Looong as compared to my previous and was thinking of trying to shorten. My last comp was just 3 chambers with side 2 holes on each side, one on the first and last chambers. Just curious, more of a visual thing than anything else. How would this affect the effectiveness of the comp? Since my last one worked great without them?

Thanks

Randal

post-6763-1169809910.jpg

Edited by DrawandDuck

Looks like it would be OK to cut either of the two side ones. the first three thaat face up my have an angle on the baffle. So cutting one of them off would leave you with an angle on the front of the gun. You may or may not like that look. It looks like an EGW comp. The first 3 are angled. You should be able to cut them off strait. Hack saw then end mill to square it.

Saw it off and clean it up w/ an end mill, then dress up (i.e.- "melt treatment") the edges. Just make sure the chambers are not cut at too much of and angle or you may have to make an angled end to the comp.

+1

hacksaw time

I had a long 5 chamber comp and kept cutting chamber off until I was happy with it.

-and you ended up with a limited gun? :lol:

Saw it off and clean it up w/ an end mill, then dress up (i.e.- "melt treatment") the edges. Just make sure the chambers are not cut at too much of and angle or you may have to make an angled end to the comp.

+1

hacksaw time

I had a long 5 chamber comp and kept cutting chamber off until I was happy with it.

-and you ended up with a limited gun? :lol:

no, but it was one butt ugly comp gun ;)

Nothing to it just grab a hacksaw and rip. Just don't do it in the middle of a match like I had too.

post-1097-1170045400.jpg

post-1097-1170045429.jpg

Just kidding about the hacksaw. It will look much better if you have someone mill it for you. If you are worried about the weight Dan Bedell has one like it in Titanium.

Edited by JRBean

Nothing to it just grab a hacksaw and rip. Just don't do it in the middle of a match like I had too.

post-1097-1170045400.jpg

post-1097-1170045429.jpg

Just kidding about the hacksaw. It will look much better if you have someone mill it for you. If you are worried about the weight Dan Bedell has one like it in Titanium.

The amazing thing, to me, is that there are two guys, a hacksaw, and a gun...and there's NO blood anywhere!

Ok, I really want to know why you were using a hacksaw in the middle of the match. There's got to be a story there somewhere.

Wow, OK... :blink:

I'm guessing that the comp was cracked badly enough to pose a safety issue and had to go under the knife, er um, blade.

The comp was like the one Randal is planning on using. Except the side ports on the end didn't have the baffle between them creating one large horizontal port at the end of the comp. I was probably 3 or 4 stages into the 2003 Louisiana Section match when after shooting a stage I noticed a lot of the hits were low and keyholing. I checked my gun after the stage and found the top of the comp above the side port had busted upward. So I didn't have much choice but to cut it off. It left me with a 2 port comp and 3 small hybrid ports in the barrel. It actually shot really well despite loosing that much of the comp.

I had a trubor S-2 and had the 2 end side ports cut and then milled side ports into the last chamber. It worked very well after that and would be similar to what you are wanting to do.

When are you coming back from the sandbox? I'm ready for you to show me how to shoot open.

Eddie G.

Almost all comp designs will allow you to shorten them in some fashion, just by lopping chambers off. Off the top of my head, about the only ones that won't are the Arredondo and the Limcat Turbocomp (I think that's its name??). Both of those comps vent gas from the back of the comp to the front, and have some sort of "vent" or duct through the comp to the front that you would cut off, and essentially negate your compensator in the process....

I think I've got about the only comp design left going on my gun that won't allow you to shorten it... :lol:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=30303&hl=

What's up Eddie? I'll be glad to give you a lesson or two. :) Good to see you finally joined the forum. I think I'll be done the end of 07. I'll try and get to SW in May when I come home. Heard you were trying open "again" this year.

Not much. I had Tommy build a new open gun for me and I like it a lot more than the old one. I'm trying to do some practicing but the rain/snow won't let me! Planning on shooting SW tomorrow. Hurry back and be safe.

Eddie G.