Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractors?

markwilliston

Any recommendations?

I'm shooting an STI trojan in .45 and broke the extractor today. Thought I had it beat, cause I bought a spare from STI. Went to my gun bag pulled it out, and the stupid thing would not fit. The firing pin stop wouldn't even come close to sliding on the extractor. So I packed up and came home. Did some sanding on the extractor and got it to fit, although not as good as I would like.

What are you guys using for Extractors, I want another one for my range bag and it is not going to be from STI.

On the bright side, I am glad it happened on a practice day, and not a match day :)

I think the best deal with spare parts such as this is to fit the new part BEFORE the original breaks ;) . What I do is fit the spare and leave it in the gun. The original part becomes the spare and I know for a fact it works and can be installed without issues in an emergency.

I think the best deal with spare parts such as this is to fit the new part BEFORE the original breaks ;) . What I do is fit the spare and leave it in the gun. The original part becomes the spare and I know for a fact it works and can be installed without issues in an emergency.

+1

I installed Aftec's, and use the factory's as backup.

same thing happened to me, i have been shooting a 45 for 14 years and never broke an extractor. just recently bought sti eagle in .40 and on my 3rd match broke the claw right off. i just insatlled an aftec because everyone seems to have had good luck with them. there instructions are okay but their pictures are terrible, the diagrams are ok, their website is terrible, no info on how to install at all. i had a problem that was not on their instructions. i did everything like they said but i had no tension at all. the instructions only give a way to reduce tension. i called them and they said they were having the same problem with sti guns and to just put the extractor in a vise and tap it with a hammer and move the hook in a couple of thousanths. i did that and now have a what seems to be enough tension to hold the round in place. I am shooting a match tonight and hope this has fixed my problem. These things are way too pricey to have to fiddle with them too make them work. has anyone else had installation problems ?