Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ohio Section Championship - a shooters perspective

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to say congratulations to all the shooters there.

I'd also like to say that you all are making me homesick.  I've been stuck in south Texas for 3 months and haven't fired a round outa my pistol since I shot with Bill Schwab back in June, in MARYLAND!!!

I'm not bitter...

WOW! Glad I spoke with Kyle tonight. I was looking for some match feedback, and he sent me to the right place!!

From my perspective (CRO on Stage 2 & 3), I was a little concerned about safety (sorry, that's my job), but overall, I thought this match came off very well!!! The Rayner's were absolutely great, and I will go back in a heartbeat.

Bill Seevers: Thanks for kicking me in the ass and helping me get out there. I owe you one buddy!!

NEXT YEAR: In addition to the Ohio Sectional in the Fall, would any of you support a big Spring match at Rayner's? Something like ten stages, 200-250 rounds, mid-May timeframe (keep in mind that this is exploratory at this point, but under consideration). If so, I would love to hear about it and help to make it happen.

DVC,

Brian

Bill 'Speedy' Seevers:

Yep, great club (although a club is really just a collection of people, so I'd say 'great people').

The 'Ohio Spring Break Invitational'??? Hmmmm, how about the 'Buckeye Invitational'? Any other suggestions?

Can I count on you to help? I want a big match back in Ohio, and I can not think of a better place to do it. Although, if we are going to try for 2003, we need to get going.

One other thing, have you ever been out there at Midnight? The night sky is as good as I've seen in Northern MN, or Canada! Next time, I am taking a tent (and of course that has nothing to do with the 'drive' back to the hotel after the 'little staff party' we held in the picnic area :-)

Brian

Okay guys, like I said, this is 'under discussion' right now. I spoke with Kyle this evening, and we kicked this around. He is going to talk to Tom Rayner.

I am all about making this happen, but help me out a little bit..... if we put together what I would consider to be a major match (same size as an Area match), how many shooters can we pull? Or in other words, can you help us promote this? Could we get 200 to this?? Big names, etc? What do YOU think the major obstacles would be?

Brian

ps. I'm still taking my tent to enjoy the stars!!

I think you could easily get 200 shooters if you are smart about promoting it. IMHO, the main thing to watch out for if you want to get big name shooters is to not schedule it the same weekend as an area match, or something of that size that is an annual event.

TheItlianStalion:

Hmmmmm, 'easily get 200 shooters'..... how many can you get from your club/area (sorry, new to this forum, and don't know you yet)?

As far as the big names go, my intention would be NOT to schedule on top of other big matches (unlike RGN on top of A3 last year, or vice versa).

Actually, many thanks to Flex for reminding me that we need to consider IDPA schedules as well as ours.......

DVC,

BDH

Let's do it. My company will sponsor a stage/stages, no problem.

How can I help?

SA

BTW, the rest of my circleville crew stayed away for fear of not being competitive on a regional basis...I'll get 'em there for the next one. (one is waiting to turn super -senior )

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 8:19 pm on Oct. 2, 2002)

Hey guys...this idea has legs.  

I talked with Tom Rayner tonight (please don't call him...if you didn't know...his mother was in the hostipal all of last week, should be coming home today)...lets let him have a little time to catch his breath.

But...we will need to get rolling before long to put it on in spring.

How about...Buckeye Blast?

Promotion is the key.

Big names only come for money, prizes or recognition.  I think forget them, unless you pay money. Adding prizes next year is fine if you want but that changes the match. This year the AL section gave 3 foot tall trophies to AL state winners and I think a lot of people would go for that. Again planning and promotion. Take a picture of the trophys and post on web site.  

I think a regional draw of 200 would be easy. There are almost that many that shoot in OH clubs. I was really dissapointed in the OH turnout. There was 50+ people that should have been there. It was not promoted early enough though. Add another 100 from IN, MI, KY, and PA and you are way over 200.

Make it a well run shooters match, Promote it and get the buzz going and you would turn people away. A few of us helped create a buzz to add more people signing up this year. You have to deliver a good match though. The Ashland Inv and The Mountaineer were good examples of these types of matches. Some of the big dogs will show up anyways.

Kyle,

Once again you are faster than me!!! Anyway, it is GREAT that Tom will support this. Let's pick a weekend that has minimum conflict, set it in stone, and then.... deliver!!

Outstanding! And we can announce it here!

ps. but I am still bringing my tent!

'Speedy'

I hear you and have been having some other discussions about what 'really' brings shooters to a match. That said.... my take is that we really need to understand why people come to shoot. No one is getting rich at this, so why show up?

I agree 110%  that we need to promote this, and if we are going to do it, we need to pin down the dates, and start the on the promotion!

I am willing to help make this happen.... what can I do?

BDH