Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have an STI SS frame and a 5" Caspian 9mm breechface slide.... Got a wild hair about building a 9X23 carry gun. From the stats I read the 9X23 looks like it would dismember and cripple by muzzle blast alone. Is the 9X23 a viable choice for carry? :huh: Comments?

a little overkill and tough to manage sans comp perhaprs, but viable. 'Bout like a full charge .357. You'd have more of them, like 3x more, and I guess there's probably a factory jhp load out there so you're not hand loading carry ammo.

Edited by dirtypool40

Win. has a 125 gr load at about 17600fps or something crazy, rates way up there for one shot stoping power.----Larry

125 gr Silvertips are right at 1500 fps in a 5" GM. Envision a 10rd, flat .357 magnum with a great trgger :D

This is a great cartridge..I have 3 guns set up for 9x23 and have a few tips and tricks to assure reliability. First, you really cannot reliably stuff 10rds in a .38 super magazine. The cartridge is .008" bigger at the base which translates to .08 less room in the magazine, this makes first round feeding difficult

I use Wilson .38 super mags with an ISMI spring. They hold 9rds and work 100%.

I use a ramped barrel and they feed 100%.

I do not use an AFTEC and do not feel it is necessary.

I DO like the flat bottom firing pin stop from EGW.

I run an 17# ISMI spring in the 5" gun and a 20# in the Commander.

Different recoil sensation than .45 hardball. Less flip, similar recoil. Easier to shoot fast IMO.

Corbon has 2 carry loads-DPX and Powerball. The DPX is probably the ultimate bullet for this cartridge as it will retain 100% of its weight.

<_< What am I missing = the 9 x23 s get mixed into my 38 supper comp and I can not tell the dif unless I check every base. When it does get past and is sized in the 38 die the bullet ends up not crimping good.

Why not just go to a 38 supper comp? and have plenty of brass options? :mellow:

Oh I understood that Hand-loads for self defence is a slippery slope?

Edited by AlamoShooter

Why hell...If this works out I might have to get with Joe D and start trading my Glocks to him for his 1911s... :D:D

The G20 in 9x23 has been done before too. Giddyup. B)

That reminded me, I have a Bar-Sto barrel for a glock in 9x23, never installed...did some digging and Viola' Found it!

9x23...

great round in the 1911..feeds really slick..good power..11 rounds..not too bad..

Have heard the 9x23 in the G20 is pretty slick, have seen j-frame 940s opened up to take 9x23 ( pretty cool ) and John Ricco had some AR carbine topends using sten mags for the 9x23..

You do not need a fully supported bbl with that cartridge either...get a good Barsto and get with it..

In my opinion, if there is a chance of a .38 super reload ever making down your barrel, I would go ramped. It doesn't impair feeding one iota in my experience.

My guns are set up so I can use .38 super for practice. Its a help as 9x23 isn't exactly available on a consistent basis. I also use the Atlanta Arms .38 Supercomp load. It is a great practice load for $12 a box.

You do not need a fully supported bbl with that cartridge either...get a good Barsto and get with it..

Correct - which was the point of the 9x23 over the .38 sup since the 1911 barrel is completely unsupported in its original, non-ramped configuration. Additional benefit to 9x23 is tapered case for better extraction, rimless, and no confusion over the variable bore diameters found on .38 sup over the past half century.

Great inovation I believe.

Correct - which was the point of the 9x23 over the .38 sup since the 1911 barrel is completely unsupported in its original, non-ramped configuration. Additional benefit to 9x23 is tapered case for better extraction, rimless, and no confusion over the variable bore diameters found on .38 sup over the past half century.

Great inovation I believe.

You need to read Dane Burns comments...he thinks it is better than anything chambered in any 1911..

If the part of Texas you live in is anti-gun, or even neutral, you might want to go with something more mundane. Don't want to take a chance on a jury thinking you were just waiting for the chance to go Rambo on some poor underprivileged guy who had to do some self-help redistribution of wealth to balance out social injustice.

If the part of Texas you live in is anti-gun, or even neutral, you might want to go with something more mundane. Don't want to take a chance on a jury thinking you were just waiting for the chance to go Rambo on some poor underprivileged guy who had to do some self-help redistribution of wealth to balance out social injustice.

The state of Texas gives the average citizen lots of room when it comes to the legal use of deadly force...and if I ever have to shoot anyone again as a civilian, my firm belief is that you cannot kill then TOO dead...Like Baretta said, "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime"