Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire In Odd Places

Irate

I recently returned to college, my first semester back since my deployment. I was happy to move out of the house again and get on with my college carreer. However, something changed, I now shoot competition and had a nice little training schedule at home. So since I obviously can't keep my Glock in my dorm, I had to improvise.

A while back, my friend showed me his blue gun he bought off the internet. I thought this would be perfect for the dorms. So now, while my Glock is stored at the campus police station, I can practice away with my Glock 34 blue gun and my competition holster. As the pictures show, I also made some little targets out of paper and taped them to the wall. Luckily the roommate is not a flaming liberal like most of the students down here in Milwaukee; he doesn't mind at all. So I don't know how many college students we have on this forum, but I thought I'd share my little solution.

BTW, that's not my bed in the background.

dryfire.jpg

dryfire2.jpg

Oh and I also didn't mention that I did a little to the sights, not as much as Pharaoh Bender (who painted them black, then put dots on them). All I did was square off the rear sight and put the 3 lines around the outside(the rear sight on my real Glock 34 is stock). On the front sight, I put a dot in the center and rounded it off since I use a Tru-Glo fiber optic. It's not perfect, but it works for me......for now. I like someone's idea of putting a sight cut in the rear and mount REAL sights on the blue gun, good thinking.

Irate

Oh man where is Pharaoh Bender he's gotta see this

My ears are burning :D

Glad to hear that you are finding other ways to practice where you are. The blue G34 isn't perfect...but for shooting on the move and box transitions, it does it's job well.

You're from WI? I hope you're going to A5. Lacrosse is one crazy town :)

BTW-I see your "targets" on the wall...may I suggest ordering the DRYFIRE KIT from CWPSA. He's one of the forum dealers, and the kit is a must have if you are serious about practicing in confined spaces.

Oh man where is Pharaoh Bender he's gotta see this

My ears are burning :D

Glad to hear that you are finding other ways to practice where you are. The blue G34 isn't perfect...but for shooting on the move and box transitions, it does it's job well.

You're from WI? I hope you're going to A5. Lacrosse is one crazy town :)

BTW-I see your "targets" on the wall...may I suggest ordering the DRYFIRE KIT from CWPSA. He's one of the forum dealers, and the kit is a must have if you are serious about practicing in confined spaces.

You speak of A5, do you mean the Area 5 championship....? If so, when is it and what club is it held at.

And as far as the dryfire kit, I will look into it, but I kind of wanted to do this without spending any money. $35 was enough just for the blue gun. But I do appreciate the post and I will look into it. Thanks a lot and good luck with your continued progress, I will keep an eye on your diary. Always good reading.

Irate

My Blue Gun arrived today.

I spend a lot of time on conference calls at work. Now with my blue gun I can close my door and blinds and spend some of that time practicing.

I have a dry erase board with several black dots on it for practicing snapping my eyes from target to target.

I can now add small targets around the room. I have made smaller targets, 4.25 inches by 5.5 inches. I don't know what distance that translates to but it work well or me.

Or make your own cardboard targets from the paper ones Airic posted above. Cut out the paper target and tape to a piece of cardboard. Take a pin or needle and punch holes along the perf'd edges. Here is how mine turned out.

I did ROTC at Marquette Univ there in Milwaukee.

post-7808-1169523443.jpg

You speak of A5, do you mean the Area 5 championship....? If so, when is it and what club is it held at.

And as far as the dryfire kit, I will look into it, but I kind of wanted to do this without spending any money. $35 was enough just for the blue gun. But I do appreciate the post and I will look into it. Thanks a lot and good luck with your continued progress, I will keep an eye on your diary. Always good reading.

Irate

Indeed Area 5. From the USPSA website...

8/16/07 2007 Area 5 Championship

A Pointseries Area Championship match pending approval

Level III Pending Holmen Rod & Gun Club, Holmen Wisconsin

Thanks for the encouragement Irate, I appreciate it. Definately check out the free printouts on the link that Airic posted...I used those for a long time before hearing about the dryfire kit.

One more question for ya...do you have Steve Anderson's "dryfire" book? If not, count your pennies and pick it up! It is the definitave bible for all that is dryfire.

http://www.andersonshooting.com/

Thanks for all the printouts guys, they will get heavy use. I don't know though, I may not even print them out, printer ink is pretty expensive ;)

I agree with Lynn.

That was the 1st thing I thought when I read the post title.

Guns & 'Schools' don't mix well. :unsure:

I completely agree, and I am very careful. I was actually quite surprised when the police dept on campus agreed to store my pistol. I guess they don't have too many student in pistol competition; and I suppose the military stuff helps too. But I want everyone to know I am very careful, I make sure I take off my holster before going down to get some food. If I went out into the halls with my holster and blue gun on, boy would my face be red.

Irate

Edited by Irate

I agree about practicing low key. When you turn your weapon over to the campus police do they give you a receipt for it? Sorry man, but that's like the turning over your guns to Doyle for safe keeping - makes the hair on the back of my head stand up - creepy. I know that you are trying to do things the right way, but I would get some kind of paper that says that they have my property.

Note: Doyle is our lovely anti-gun govenor for those not familiar with the wonderful world of Wis. One of two states that has no concealed carry permit since our gov vetoed the passed legislation - TWICE!

Rick

At MSU all sorts of guy stored their hunting rifles or handguns at the station house.

Airsoft is a bad idea, we actually had a kid kicked out of the university because he had one. Of course he was shooting it at people outside... but that's another story.

If you really want to freak out the Libs. get an airsoft and practice in the hall.

Bonus points for using photos of the people on your floor.

I forget the name of the game that we played in college, but we would get a group of guys together from a dorm floor and make a list and exchange names. When you drew someones name you had to kill them with a squirt gun. Class rooms were off limits, but everywhere else was fair game. I remember waiting for this guy to get out of class. Our eyes met outside of the class room and the firefight was on. Back then they thought we were nuts. These days they might lock your ass up. I worked in the caffateria and carried my pistol to work. More than one firefight in the lunch room. I hate to say it, but it was truly an adrenaline rush. You were paranoid of getting hit all of the time. I finished one of those rounds in second place. Ah, the good ole' days.

Rick

If you really want to freak out the Libs. get an airsoft and practice in the hall.

I forget the name of the game that we played in college, but we would get a group of guys together from a dorm floor and make a list and exchange names. When you drew someones name you had to kill them with a squirt gun. Class rooms were off limits, but everywhere else was fair game. I remember waiting for this guy to get out of class. Our eyes met outside of the class room and the firefight was on. Back then they thought we were nuts. These days they might lock your ass up. I worked in the caffateria and carried my pistol to work. More than one firefight in the lunch room. I hate to say it, but it was truly an adrenaline rush. You were paranoid of getting hit all of the time. I finished one of those rounds in second place. Ah, the good ole' days.

Rick

Was that game maybe called "Assassin"?

You have to remember I am an OLD GUY and I forget things, but I think that was the name. They still play that or would that end up like Matt's reference and you would get kicked out of school these days?

Rick

We played Assassin in the 80's and early 90's with rubber dart guns, but pressure from the campus cops and PTBs morphed it into 'koosh tag', which actually is pretty entertaining too, since you get to bean people and it's got more range and power than the usual dart gun.

Rick

Was that game maybe called "Assassin"?

Serious thread drift... :D

I believe the version I played was called (un-pc) "killer", designed by Steve Jackson Games. I had the actual manual. Man, thinking outloud, playing that or even having the manual in school these days would not be fun/easy to explain.

Edited by maineshootah