Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I Use A 38 Super Mag In My 9mm Sti?

Cuz

I've been told that I can take a 38 super mag and just load it with 9mm ammo and it will work with no problems in a STI 9mm. Can someone verify this? The ammo is factory Winchester white box 9mm 115gr FMJ. Unfortunately I don't have any mags handy to test with, but am planning on borrowing a couple until mine come in.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Last year I made the switch from .38 super to 9mm for my steel guns. My STI magazines gave me fits. It didn't matter if I used the spacer or not. It seems the 9mm rounds were trying to pass each other in the middle of the magazine. I had two old SPS magazines which worked perfectly and I was in possession of three SVI mag tubes that I tried and they worked great also with and without the spacer. I don't know the problem with the STI's but I assume it is in the design of the ribs in the side of the mag. ( two ribs as opposed to one large one)

Dwight Stearns

If you're talking about Single Stack the answer is yes. I use the Chip McCormick 38 Super mags with my STI Trojan and they are much more reliable than the MetalForm 9mm Mags from STI. The only thing you may need to do is tweak the follower just a touch if the gun is locking back with one round left. Very easy fix and well worth it.

Angel

If you're talking about Single Stack the answer is yes. I use the Chip McCormick 38 Super mags with my STI Trojan and they are much more reliable than the MetalForm 9mm Mags from STI. The only thing you may need to do is tweak the follower just a touch if the gun is locking back with one round left. Very easy fix and well worth it.

Angel

Angel,

Actually, it's a 2011 frame, not a single stack. I won't be able to tweak anything on the mag as I'll just be borrowing them for one day. I have some 9mm mags on the way, but they won't be here in time for me to shoot tomorrow. I was just hoping I could borrow my friends 38 super mags and run them the way they are in my gun. I guess the only real answer is to try it and hope for the best.

-Cuz

Cuz, been there, done that... ;) . I have been using 11 STI super mags for steel guns in 9x19 for the past 3 years. I was using the STI 9x19 spacer and follower kit. Dont bother. The follower is so soft that it wears out prematurely and you will replace it halfway through the season. One year I went through 3 sets, including replacing one set for the Steel Challenge. Here is a suggestion to make your life easy. When you get your mags, buy the Grams follower kit and the metal spacer for the rear of the mag. Install them as per instructions, and then have no problems again. :wub:

I put the Grams kits in all my mags last year and they show no wear at all! If you have questions why they work well call Bevin, he is the mag man, and dont even bother with the 10 rd mags, they dont work reliably! It will also help to load your ammo out to 1.150 or longer if you can.

Good luck!

DougC

If you use STI mags then use the spacer. I don't really see why people don't like the spacers they work great if you use the SS spacers. I have a JL Hardy 9mm open and it came with 3 140s and a 170 (STIs) all with spacers and they run 100%. I have a friend that has 5 9mm open guns and two will run without spacers and the other three won't.

It is true many people have success with 9mm without using spacers, but I still use them. I load to a 1.155 OAL and unless you're loading really long, the spacer pushes that bullet nose a little closer to the feedramp to help keep the round from nose diving before it hits the feed ramp. I suppose a lot depends on how the gun is set up, what bullet, and OAL you're using, but I figure it's a bit of insurance that never hurts. Scroll down this page to see the ones I use and that J.L. supplies with his guns:

http://www.cpwsa.com/grams.htm

Actually, this isn't a long term solution. Just want to run the super mags for one match.

Also, how come no one seems to sell spacers for the 126mm mags? All I see are spacers for the 140 or 170mm lengths. I've got 4 126mm Dawson Tuned mags coming and I'm assuming they will have spacers in them. I didn't want the 140s because I normally only get to load 8 or 10 rounds at a time in our local shoots. I also got a couple of 140s just to have them. I don't have a need or desire for the 170s. I won't be shooting major.

-Cuz.

If you want something short term...give me your address and I'll send you some delrin spacers. They work as well as the stainless ones, just don't hold up long term. That's what we used before we got the stainless ones made. If the spacer is to be used with a 126mm mag, then you just cut a 140 spacer down.

If you want something short term...give me your address and I'll send you some delrin spacers. They work as well as the stainless ones, just don't hold up long term. That's what we used before we got the stainless ones made. If the spacer is to be used with a 126mm mag, then you just cut a 140 spacer down.

Chris,

Thanks a lot for the offer. I will remember your generosity when its time to order some upgrade parts for my Glock and/or STI. When I said short term, I meant only for tomorrow. I already have some mags "in the mail" that will be here next week. They will already have spacers in them. If they are not the metal ones, then I'll head over to your website and get some stainless ones.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Has nothing to do with biting the bullet. I have SV mags with Grams guts and some will work and some don't without spacers, so I run spacers in all of them. Understand however, when I say they don't work, they may only puke once in every 200 rounds or so, but sooner or later my SV mags w/o spacers will jam the gun. But again, I shoot a gun that was set up to run with spacers so that could be it. I'm just saying if you shoot a 9mm, and don't use spacers, and have an unexplained jam every 200 or 300 rounds, then put a spacer in the mag and see what happens. If your gun runs all the time every time and never jams....then if it ain't broke...... <_<

My best advice would be ask the gunsmith that built the gun whether he recommends spacers or not. No secret I shoot J.L.'s guns and he recommends them. Matter of fact, 3 years ago or so, I heard stories about people using SV mags without spacers with success. Grabbed some SV mags up and loaded them up 2 or 3 times apiece and ran them thru the gun as fast as I could pull the trigger with no problems. Mentioned this to J.L. who says I think you still need to run spacers with either SV or STI mags. I said, but they work, I tried them. He said OK, you keeping running the SVs without spacers and let me know what happens. A match or two later, sure enough, one of the SVs pukes on me. I turned around and there's J.L. with that Cheshire cat grin. Moral of your story......talk to your smith....do what he says.

My best advice would be ask the gunsmith that built the gun whether he recommends spacers or not. No secret I shoot J.L.'s guns and he recommends them. Matter of fact, 3 years ago or so, I heard stories about people using SV mags without spacers with success. Grabbed some SV mags up and loaded them up 2 or 3 times apiece and ran them thru the gun as fast as I could pull the trigger with no problems. Mentioned this to J.L. who says I think you still need to run spacers with either SV or STI mags. I said, but they work, I tried them. He said OK, you keeping running the SVs without spacers and let me know what happens. A match or two later, sure enough, one of the SVs pukes on me. I turned around and there's J.L. with that Cheshire cat grin. Moral of your story......talk to your smith....do what he says.

I have about 10K of Win WhiteBox through an EGW built 5" gun with tuned SVI Mags.

I have never had a failure to feed. Just my experience. WWB is not loaded long, either.

Thanks for all the inputs. I was able to shoot my 9mm with the 38 super mags today without incident. Well, at least the gun functioned, I on the other hand did not shoot it as well as I'd hoped, but once I put some rounds thru it and get intimate with it that will change. I will be shooting mags with spacers as soon as they arrive. If the plastic ones cause problems or wear out I'll go directly to stainless. I dont' want to load long as I will shoot the same load in my Glock 17.

Thanks again.

-Cuz.