Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matt Mclearn M21 Magwell

JD40

I am looking for the ultimate magwell for my 6 inch limited blaster and I am wanting to know if anyone has tried the Mclearn M21 magwell? If not the McLearn which magwell do I buy. My gun is super light and the guys that I shoot with have Dawson and Brazos units on the bottom of their 6 inch blasters. I would love to hear any advice on magwells for limited or open guns. Thanks,

Joe

i have bought one since it came out last summer. Its design was soo cool that it makes my gun looks like a formul one or something? its ok. i bought it more because of the looks. since im serious about my shooting, i found that the magwell doesnt get your hand high on the grip as well as the dawson ice.i like the dawson ice because it forces your hand up on the gun and you can manage recoil better. i had put the m2i on my steel gun since it looks cool and not much reloading is involved on the steel change but i use ice magwell when i shoot ipsc open. hope this helps.

i have bought one since it came out last summer. Its design was soo cool that it makes my gun looks like a formul one or something? its ok. i bought it more because of the looks. since im serious about my shooting, i found that the magwell doesnt get your hand high on the grip as well as the dawson ice.i like the dawson ice because it forces your hand up on the gun and you can manage recoil better. i had put the m2i on my steel gun since it looks cool and not much reloading is involved on the steel change but i use ice magwell when i shoot ipsc open. hope this helps.

That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Thanks for your help.

Joe

If your hands are larger than average the M2I is a godsend, I'll try to explain.

When I had my first gun built I automatically went with the ICE because it seemed like the magwell to have. It is a great magwell however it is not for everybody. The biggest factor for me was hand width. Specifically the distance from the web of your hand to the outer edge as it corresponds with the width from the bottom of the grip safety to the top of the magwell.

With the ICE this dimension is shortened somewhat and works best with small to medium hands. I spent a lot of time figuring out that my draw was slower with the ICE due to the extra time I was taking to "fit" my hand into this space (my hand measures about 4.5" from the web to the outer edge). Once I figured it out I changed to and SVI magwell which helped my draw however the SVI isn't exactly huge with respect to swallowing up mags. This worked fine and then at A1 this last year I spotted the M2I and saw that by its design it allowed much more room on the grip than any other magwell out there. So now I have a big magwell and plenty of room for my hands. It will be the only magwell I use from now on.

Good luck, Craig

+1 smokshwn, if your hand is the least bit larger than normal the Ice is not comfortable. The Sti is better and the Svi is even better again as your hand gets larger. I can work with the STI OR SVI ok but not the ICE. I've not tried the M2i but looking at it your hand must be very large.

I have large meaty hands and after shooting my edge for a while I realized that I was having to constantly regrip the gun because the mag well was not giving me enough space fora proper grip. I tried a buddys STI with an ICE and it was no better or even worse. The big problem was because I was always milking my grip I was unable to have an neutral grip on the gun and that was causeing me to drop shots and I wasn't able to shoot close fast open shots like I used to.

I had looked at the M2i magwell but didn't want to spend $ without trying it out in person.

At the Area 2 in the vendor tent I was able to try one on a frame and bought it immediatly. I liked it so much I put it on the gun that night in the hotel and shot it for the second day of the match. It gives so much room for my hand I have a total neutral grip now, it is exactly what I was looking for. I use dawson mag pads and I have noticed no difference in my reloads at all.

Neal in AZ

I'm partial to the EGW-style or the Brazos magwells, but am always interested in something else. The "ultimate" especially for the 'back in the day' shooters was the Smoke Hole Pistol Design Blackhole magwell. I swear that thing was huge and looked awesome!!!

Rich