Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack 40 Mags

Pat Miles

I've had real good luck with MecGar mags. I have 6 and only one is not 100%. I also have 6 Metalforms and only trust 2 of them. I've also had good luck with .45 mags. I like to use one for single stack as I can load 9 round to start without using a seperate mag.

Edited by mscott

Try a Chip McCormick .45 mag as it comes from the wrapper. It will hold 9 rounds and feed em all. :o;)

Added....

To further elaborate on my statement...

Benny, Larry and myself spent all morning trying different combinations of mags, mag springs and slide stops while trying to develop a bulletproof combination for my .40 Trojan. (which Larry is shooting at the Pharr SS Invitational) We tried a number of .45 mags as I foolishly sold my Tripp .40s to a friend last week. It seems that just about any of the .45 mags with FACTORY lip dimensions worked without modification - with the exception of Wilsons. (Mine may be to worn out to work right) I believe the McCormicks worked best with no modification with Novacks working well also. I had spotty luck with the Provost mags (ACT Mags) with the problems due to weaker springs..I think. The Provost mags worked very well after tuning and ISMI springs installed. Were I to bet my money on an unmodified/out of the wrapper mag being dependable it would be the McCormicks. We also tried some mags I had tuned for our .45 SS guns and found that with the lips tuned for optimum operation with a .45 the mags would speed unload .40s with a touch. NO good at all. :-}

Edited by Merlin Orr

I think it all depends on the pistol.

Try a couple before buying a lot of them.

For me:

McCormick 45's - forget it

McCormick 40's - forget it

Metalform 10mm's - 9 round plastic follower - forget it

Metalform 10mm's - 8 round metal follower - works great

In my experience with .40 single stacks (2), there is no guarantee that mags which work for another single stack will work with yours. I recently ordered the highly rated Tripp mags for my new Kimber .40. Out of 4, none would work. Chip McCormick 10mm mags worked flawlessly in both feeding all rounds as well as locking the slide back on an empty mag. Metalforms feed great but the plastic follower hung up on the slide stop. They would also not drop free. I too tried using .45 mags. With Wilsons, the metal thickness on the feed lips was to thin and the smaller .40 round got stuck being squeezed upwards between the expanding lips. I tried Chip McCormick .45 Power Mags that I have for a .45, and they worked great.

Experiment with a few and you will find a brand that works.

Good luck!

Speaking as one of the TRUE hardcore single stack shooters. There is only one mag to own. McCormick 10mm mags! 18,000 round and no problems! I have used them in 3 different guns!

Listen to the MASTER of SINGLE STACK area 4 champ in SS Mark s. HAHAHA

A lot depends on your feed ramp. The STI Trojan ramp is not correct. The Kimber is pretty darn close. My Kimber .40 fed flawlessly from Wilson 8 rd .45 mags., CMC .45 mags and Metalform 10 mm mags.

I loaded my rounds to 1.200". It fed fine with a shorter length, but I had a really good load for the longer length.