Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith 617 10 Shot......

DougCarden

OK, I go into the local guns shop after visiting the local big chain gun/outdoors shops to put up flyers for the Winter League I am helping with. On my way out, what do I see, an almost new 617 10 shot with a faint line around the cylinder. This gun doesnt have 100 rounds through it.......out the door for $399.....yeah.... I bought it. I never get deals like this and if I would have went back tomorrow it would have been gone. Been there done that..... :(

I know that I wont have a super light action, but what are the do's and dont's with this gun. I know not to dry fire it with a C&S firing pin, but it is pretty good right now....other than getting some speedloaders for it I should be good to go, right?

Thanks for your sage wisdom and advice..... :rolleyes::lol:

DougC

OK, I go into the local guns shop after visiting the local big chain gun/outdoors shops to put up flyers for the Winter League I am helping with. On my way out, what do I see, an almost new 617 10 shot with a faint line around the cylinder. This gun doesnt have 100 rounds through it.......out the door for $399.....yeah.... I bought it. I never get deals like this and if I would have went back tomorrow it would have been gone. Been there done that..... :(

I know that I wont have a super light action, but what are the do's and dont's with this gun. I know not to dry fire it with a C&S firing pin, but it is pretty good right now....other than getting some speedloaders for it I should be good to go, right?

Thanks for your sage wisdom and advice..... :rolleyes::lol:

DougC

(DO NOT) bob the hammer, I did on mine and it would only fire about 5 out of 10 rounds.

I guess the rimfire ammo needs the extra weight on the hammer to run.

Other than that the normal action work, You just can't back off the main spring much.

John

Forget speedloaders.

Lube the action with whatever you like.

Shoot it double action a lot and consider it practice - but have fun. It's the best revolver out there. It will help you centerfire game beyond your wildest expectations.

Doug, you WILL enjoy this gun!!! I spent about a half a brick--new measure of time--of CCI "Mini-Mags" out in the backyard with my four-inch 617 this afternoon...mid-to-high 50's, temperature-wise...got in a lil' "Steel" practice...

Mvc-008s.jpg

...the pic was taken during the Summer, but it was STILL FUN today!!!....mikey357

don't dry-fire it too much. you'll peen the edges of the cylinder down.

This should not happen with the factory firing pin. I have owned several S&W rimfire revolvers over the years, dry-fired them all, and none has ever shown evidence of the firing pin touching the chamber edge--except for the one after I installed the extended-length C&S firing pin.

617 10 shot.....

The most fun revolver there is ;)

Couple suggestions: polish the internals, leave the factory main spring as is with a 14# Wolff rebound and factory firing pin. Mine likes the Federal 525rd bulk ammo the best, accuracy & reliability. Also, I made a brass fitting that I can "plug" into the muzzle cup for my CR holster so I can use it for practice with out having to readjust the holster, which especially helpful before a steel match - saves on 627 ammo.

Have fun

JV

Doug,

Glad you like it, Jerry V. has the right idea.

I have a blue 10 shot 17.........good shooter but an aluminum cylinder won't take much abuse so I picked up a 6 shot 617 to shoot on the cheap compared to those .45s for the 25/625s. The only problem is the smaller frame gun sits lower in my CR speed holser and the draw is different because of it(for me)

I am looking at a 10 shot but the guy who has it is a bit high on his price so it may not make it to the Hilljack household very soon if at all.

Neat handguns! :)

Hopalong

Doung,

Congrats on the new revo!

Here's a picture of what I did to mine on the exteral.

On the stock one I added an SDM front site and Millet rear.

On the open gun I modified and contured the barrel to lighten abit.

In the internals, I polished every thing and cut a bit off the rebound springs(I'd have to look to see how much as it was a while back).

On the older stock revo I added an extended firing pin (+1 on what Carmony said about dry firing) and on the open revo it has the factory pin.

Both actions are very smooth - so far they've worked with several types of ammo.

617lm3.th.jpg

Paul--That's some pretty NEAT "Recontouring" to the barrel on the "Open" gun!!! Any idea how much weight you "Lost" with the recontour job??? The C-more...is that a "Railway" or a "Slide Ride"??? If it's the "Slide Ride", whose mount is that???...TIA....mikey357

Edited by mikey357

Awesome, Paul, you have all the cool toys! :D I put around 300 through it yesterday, the little sucker is a tack driver. Only problem I am noticing is that I think the rubber hogue grip is binding the mainspring at the last stage of the trigger before it lets off.

I tried it without the grip and it doesnt "hitch" like it does with the grip on. I can see some rubber down there along the frame area, and dont have a tool to scrape it out. I am gonna try and find another set of grips off of another gun and go to the range again today. I think I have the tension set on the mainspring, we will see today with the Federal 550 pack from Wallyworld..... ;)

DougC

Paul--That's some pretty NEAT "Recontouring" to the barrel on the "Open" gun!!! Any idea how much weight you "Lost" with the recontour job??? The C-more...is that a "Railway" or a "Slide Ride"??? If it's the "Slide Ride", whose mount is that???...TIA....mikey357

Mikey357,

Not sure exactly how much weight was removed - but I like the feel/weight better now (although it may just be in my mind...).

The C-more is a slide ride mounted directly to modified scope mount - it was either a Weigand or an EGW mount that I milled flat and tapped.

Edited by pmd

Ran about 300 rounds through the gun today, had some clicks with the Fed 550 box, only in slow fire at the rack at 35 and 50 yds. Ran some Minimags through it, went bang 100%. I came home, gave the mainspring a little more tension, and loctited the screw. Done deal on that!

Cool thing is that I picked up my other Revos and after shooting the 617 the light actions on those guns seem lighter now..... ;)

I dont think I will ever be without one of these.........

DougC

I picked up a 6" model 617 at a gun show this fall. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally found one.

I was thinking of bobbing the hammer as part of an attempt to lighten the action. Then I saw Bagakis's post about it not going bang every time.

Doesn't this go against the theory of hammer speed being more important to hitting the firing pin harder. It doesnt make sense to me that there would be any difference in application of the theory between a centerfire and the rimfire.

Has anyone else tried bobbing their hammer, did you find the same results?

Also where can I get some of those ten shot speedloaders shown in your picture PMD? Do they work well?

Thanks.

Edited by Northern Xtreme

I picked up a 6" 10 shot 617 with a S/S cylinder a few years ago and I shoot it all the time. In fact, my 8 and 11 year old boys now take possesion of every time we go out shooting.

Neal in AZ

Northern Xtreme,

They are called DS-10-Speed speedloaders, I got some for x-mas from my brother- wicked pi$$ah- the only ones made for the 10-shot that I know of. They come in different colors now too- I got the yaller ones, so if I use them with others I know which are MINE MINE all MINE!!!

contact is Dave Skrezela @810-639-5360 (6-9pm EST) or

ds-10-speed@hotmail.com

I got the ones with handles, but the handles, which appear to detach easily, do not. They are attached through the bottom with an Allen-key bolt.

I was thinking of bobbing the hammer as part of an attempt to lighten the action. Then I saw Bagakis's post about it not going bang every time.

Has anyone else tried bobbing their hammer, did you find the same results?

Thanks.

I bobbed the hammer on mine and I didn't find it hurt reliability.