Proposed Rules Change?

open17

Title: Fault line dimension

Date of Motion: 12/02/06 01:56 PM

Closed:

Submitted by: Area7

Seconded by: Area5

Result: Passed

Motion: "Area 7 moves that the dimension ""2 inches"" in rule 2.2.1 be changed to ""1.5 inches"" "

Votes: Rollcall not requested

UMMMMM----The only "2" I can find in 2.2.1 refers to 2 centimeters (0.79"). Not at all sure where this one came from or where it was supposed to go. I DO know that some of the local clubs have spent a bit of coin getting some welded steel boxes, made from 1x1 square

steel tubing. The 1.5" rule change would render them obsolete.

Be kind of interesting to hear the "problem that needed fixing" on this one :huh:

This is pure speculation on my part ---- but I'm guessing it's a fix for the true measurements of a 2x3 or 2x4. That said, fault lines at our club are generally red painted 1x3s --- which at .75 inches tall are clearly illegal......

I use red/orange 1x2's. They are the same as the target stands which means I only need 1 kind of stick. I could be wrong, but wouldn't using 2x3's or 2x4's increase the change of tripping? (Besides, 1x2's or 1x3 weigh less when your setting up a local match at 7:00 AM.)

The only "2" I can find in 2.2.1 refers to 2 centimeters (0.79"). Not at all sure where this one came from or where it was supposed to go. I DO know that some of the local clubs have spent a bit of coin getting some welded steel boxes, made from 1x1 square

I'm limiting my comments on rules issues to the official uspsa forums, www.uspsa.org/forums until the new rulebook is in it's final, ratified, form. Since the official forums are the only ones being monitored regularly by board members, comments in that venue will actually be read by those who will be casting the final vote.

If this question shows up in the official forums, I'll answer it.

Rob

Title: Fault line dimension

Date of Motion: 12/02/06 01:56 PM

Closed:

Submitted by: Area7

Seconded by: Area5

Result: Passed

Motion: "Area 7 moves that the dimension ""2 inches"" in rule 2.2.1 be changed to ""1.5 inches"" "

Votes: Rollcall not requested

UMMMMM----The only "2" I can find in 2.2.1 refers to 2 centimeters (0.79"). Not at all sure where this one came from or where it was supposed to go. I DO know that some of the local clubs have spent a bit of coin getting some welded steel boxes, made from 1x1 square

Be kind of interesting to hear the "problem that needed fixing" on this one :huh:

The referenced rule is:

2.2.1 Charge Lines and Fault Lines – Competitor movement should

preferably be restricted through the use of physical barriers, however,

the use of Charge and Fault Lines is permitted. Charge

Lines and Fault Lines should be constructed of wooden boards or

other suitable material and should rise at least 2 centimeters (0.79

inches) above ground level. This will provide both physical and

visible references to competitors to prevent inadvertent faulting.

Fault Lines and Charge Lines must be fixed firmly in place to

ensure they remain consistent throughout the match.

I think and I may be incorrect here. that in the previous edition, the rule MAY have called for 2 inches and this just possibly got corrupted in translation between Metric and English in teh last book. I believe that the rule was originally based on the use of a 2 x 4. Anyone that has ever built anything with construction lumber knows that a "2 x 4" is really only about 1-9/16 x 3-5/8 so this new rule sort of makes sense.

At the local level, I would not throw out the 1" steel boxes, or as we use for falut lines, the old Firehoses. For "Big Matches" this might not fly, but clubs??? As long as the (and I really hate to say it) spirit of the rule is enforced, I think it is OK. Example, We might use a firehose on a long run between walls, but where it is likely that a shooter would fade tight to a fault line, we use a 2 x 3 or 2 x 4.

Jim

The only "2" I can find in 2.2.1 refers to 2 centimeters (0.79"). Not at all sure where this one came from or where it was supposed to go. I DO know that some of the local clubs have spent a bit of coin getting some welded steel boxes, made from 1x1 square

I'm limiting my comments on rules issues to the official uspsa forums, www.uspsa.org/forums until the new rulebook is in it's final, ratified, form. Since the official forums are the only ones being monitored regularly by board members, comments in that venue will actually be read by those who will be casting the final vote.

If this question shows up in the official forums, I'll answer it.

Rob

Actually, what I found a bit curious is that the board voted "that the dimension ""2 inches"" in rule 2.2.1 be changed to ""1.5 inches"" "

When if fact the "dimension "2 inches"" doesn't even EXIST in rule 2.2.1. At least it

isn't there in my rule book. Is it a typo in the minutes, or did the entire BOD fail

to actually READ the rule they were voting to change? :unsure:

Folks, I kindly invite you to go over to the uspsa forum and raise a ruckus over there on this and other issues.

If we are being told that answers to questions will only be done on the "official" forum, lets fill it up with questions.

You might also try to contact your own AD and ask him directly your questions. I know I am very prompt about answering all of my questions either by e-mail or phone.

Talking to yourself, even in groups, will not lead to many answers, only speculation.

While I try to answer as many questions as possible on this forum, I think the question of did I read the the rule we were voting to change, I'll save for a one on one.

Gary