Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Bench

ogiebb

just bought a Nicely priced 1050 again to start reloading just wondering what do you guys use for a bench...i have no tools or any plans to build my own bench ..so im wondering if there are any benches that you can recomend that is easy assembled and stable enough to reload on...thanks

I used 2X4's, 3/4 plywood and Simpson brackets.

Used the ply wood for the bench top and a shelf the size of the top with 3/4 plywood too.

It's strong enough to store thousand of bullets and that keeps the whole thing stable.

Built two of them 2' wide, 8' long in a couple of hours.

There are tons of ideas in the Gallery. :D

FM

Edited by Front Man

Yeh, just link yourself to the "Mother of all..." that Merlin mentioned. It's been going on for some time and features reloaders in tiny closets to realoading SUITES in large rooms--not to mention a few plans 'n explanations on how to build a decent little (or big) bench. Go for it.

I went to one of the unfinished furniture stores and bought a table with a butcher block top and anchored it to the wall and the floor. I used a nice piece of 1x4 hardwood across the back of the top anchored to the wall studs. For the leg anchors I used the L shaped heavy shelf brackets screwed into the legs and floor with lag bolts.

I have two 650's and one 550 mounted on it with plenty of room. One loader is on each end and the other one is centered.

Hope this helps.

just bought a Nicely priced 1050 again to start reloading just wondering what do you guys use for a bench...i have no tools or any plans to build my own bench ..so im wondering if there are any benches that you can recomend that is easy assembled and stable enough to reload on...thanks

Do you have a Sam's Club near you? I saw a very solid table there. It had a 2" thick butcher block type top on it. Solid wood. The legs were square tube maybe 2.5" and had nice steel adjustable feet on it for leveling. I don't remember the price for sure but I do remember thinking that I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had not already built my own bench. I know it was less than $200. I think it is made by the same company that makes Gorilla Racks. It was level on a concret floor and I could not make the table wiggle at all and I put my weight into it. This would be a good choice IMO since you said you don't want to build your own.

Do you have a Sam's Club near you? I saw a very solid table there. It had a 2" thick butcher block type top on it. Solid wood. The legs were square tube maybe 2.5" and had nice steel adjustable feet on it for leveling. I don't remember the price for sure but I do remember thinking that I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had not already built my own bench. I know it was less than $200. I think it is made by the same company that makes Gorilla Racks. It was level on a concret floor and I could not make the table wiggle at all and I put my weight into it. This would be a good choice IMO since you said you don't want to build your own.

sounds like a good idea thanks...

Hello: I just bought one of the Sams club benches today. I have to assemble it still but think it will work just fine. It should also be good to hold all my reloading stuff and gun smithing stuff. They cost $198 and are very strong. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I used my small 2x4 creation for a long time, but had been looking for a better one and recently found a 6' Gladiator bench on sale and grabbed it. It's super nice for a reloading bench (I don't even want to drill a bunch of mounting holes in it ;)). The hard part for me was finding a bench that was tall enough since I like to load standing.

Since the 1050 does everything on the downstroke, you can actually get away with a somewhat shakier bench than a 650 or something that needs to be solid on the upstroke as well. Don't go rickety, but anything solid should be ok.

I recently bought a workbench from Lowe's for $88. I've got my 450/550 and my Rockchucker mounted on it. I had to reinforce the composition board surfaces with 3/4" plywood, but the rest of it is formed steel and fairly easy to put together. Ammo and bullets go on the bottom and add stability. I just loaded 1k 9x19 on it with no problems. The only downside is that the drawers aren't accessible due to the bottoms of the presses hanging over the edge.

I made my bench out of 2x4's and a 4' countertop from Lowes for less than $75. This thing isn't pretty, but it is more solid than anything you can buy. Lag bolts hold it securely to the wall, and 5,000 bullets on the bottom shelf help make it rock-solid.

The back-splash keeps brass & bullets from rolling off the back, and the front edge is rounded off. I like working on a laminate surface, rather than something wood or metal.

I went to Lowe's also and put a nice table together. I used 2x8's for the table top and 2x4's for the frame. I used 4x4 for the legs. It came out very heavey, but perfect for reloading.

414611.JPG

Rafsob, man, that IS a sweet bench! Looks to be built like a tank. Nice job.

Bronson7