Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Johnson 3gun

OK, here we go, been planning this for a while!

We have secured the range, have a concept, have a website, and even a few stages!

The Range: Pueblo West Sportsman's Association, Pueblo Colorado, 23-24 June 2007. 4 pistol bays, 4 rifle bays (out to 400 yards), one shotgun range with flying clays.

The Concept: Choices!!! Tired of box to box, or engage these targets with rifle, these targets with pistol, etc?

The website: http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

Some details: 9 stages over 2 days. time plus scoring, 100 points per stage. Dedicated ROs (taking volunteers!). Trophys only, but who know? We already have 2-3 sponsors (and more are welcome!) Applications are not yet available but will be soon, watch the website and we will post it here. Don't miss this one! :D

email: johnson3gun@earthlink.net

jj & denise

Edited by RiggerJJ

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well! I think we've done it! We've posted our application on our website. :rolleyes:

http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

I'm also attaching it to this post!

JohnsonApp.doc

Please note, after reading and thinking, Heavy Metal shooters 55 or over will be allowed to use one optical sight on their rifle and be scored along with the young guys! We'll see how it goes! :P

Hope everyone has a great Holiday and we hope to see you in June!

JJ and Denise Johnson

Edited by Benelli Chick

This year sure has opened up alot of cans of worms.

I'm with Tim on this one, "across the board or not at all" I don't shoot HM, (i wanted to before the recent rule debacle)but that just doesn't make sense to me................IMO

Happy Holiday's

Trapr and Scout

Personally.......if HE-man is going to survive......we need to make the rules similar, across the board....not keep changing them for each match.

If you want an optics......add it as a break out like currently is done in tactical.

Edited by TRUBL

Mark,

The application is a Microsoft Word document, you need Word or Wordpad to open it. If you don't have either of those, PM me with your snail mail address and I'll send you as many as you want. If you do have Word or Wordpad, be patient when opening it, it takes a couple of minutes with my DSL line, much longer if you are using a dial-up connection. (must be our fancy logo...) :)

As for Major/Minor power factor, there is no such thing in IMG scoring. The only thing close to it is He-Man class (Heavy Metal, etc) where its required to use the larger calibers in each of the 3guns. And for everyone, your gun and ammo choice must meet a bit of a power factor requirement anyway to put down steel plates, poppers, and make long range rifle reactive steel targets indicate hits, which we will have out to 400 yards. It also takes out the problems of having everyone go thru a crono stage, quite a time waster which would reduce the number of actual stages by one.

Match plans are coming along well, just got a caterer!

jj

JJ, Denise,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have the signup now. We start picking vacations up at the fire station next shift, so I'll see if I can get time off & get up there. I'm working on my shooting calendar right now.

Looks like a lot of fun! See you then, hopefully! Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates:

Just wanted to let yall know, stages are developing well!

9 stages total.

3 stages, one each, rifle, pistol, shotgun.

3 stages, two guns each, rifle/pistol, pistol/shotgun, shotgun/rifle

3 stages, three guns each.

Rifle shots out to 400 yards, pistol shots could be out to 50 yards, shotgun will have flying clays and slugs out to 50 yards. Rough guess right now is about 150 rounds of each, including maybe 25 slugs. All stages will be field courses, run and gun, make lots of decisions on the run, no standards, no box-to-box! :D

Get your applications in soon. Because of the nature of the match, we will need to limit the number of shooters.

See yall in June!

jj

• 2 weeks later...

JJ, Denise, is there a need for slings on either long gun? I prefer to case them between stages but I've been reading about some matches requiring a sling, just thought I would ask.

I'm looking forward to this match, if all goes well I'll be there!

Mark Miller

Does anyone know if they are going to make a stink about: Whatkind of .45 is allowed (the 1911 or is a xd .45 is ok ). What about a pump vs. auto for shotgun? Will there be someone to check power factor?, as I reload 5 gr. of clays. probly not quite 185 p.f. Sounds like a good time. :D No sling or optics needed here.

• 3 weeks later...

JJ,

You recommend or suggest a sling to carry, what kind do you think is best to carry? Never having needed one, the choices are sort of overwhelming. Ching sling, Cheap mil-surp sling, nice leather hunting rifle sling? I'm confused. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Still going to be a while before I can commit & send in my entry, I'm afraid. I do have the time off from work, though. Just the money thing now.

Thanks, MLM

HM Only;

The specific rules about He Man are posted on our web site. But to answer your question, no problem with any kind of .45 pistol, just have to use .45 ACP or .45 GAP max of 10 rounds per mag in He Man.

Here's the website;

http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

MLM;

I use a ching sling sometimes, and sometimes use a 3 point tac sling that is quick adjustable. Most of the time I don't use a sling at all. It just depends on your preference. Yea, I know that the market has about a bizillion available... best to just pick one and try it, better yet is to borrow one and check it out! Like I said, carrying one in your bag is definitely a good idea.

EVERYONE!

Lets get those entry form in! I know its winter and all, but the match is only 4 months away! We need to get trophys ordered, and I can't do that without knowing how many are shooting each division! If you send in your entry and find that you can't make it, you will receive a FULL refund. Just let us know BEFORE the match as soon as possible so we can pull the next person from the waiting list.

jj

• 4 weeks later...

I know we're sounding desperate, but we really need to get some more applications in quick. So, I'm afraid the match price will go up $20 after April 15, 2007! :(

Here are the apps again to make them more convenient! :lol:

This is the word document:

JohnsonApp.doc

This is a pdf document:

JohnsonApp.pdf

Thanks to everyone who already sent in their apps and all the RO's that signed up! We think this is going to be a really fun match!

Visit our website:

Johnson 3-Gun Website

Hope to see ya' in June and see your applications soon!

JJ and Denise

As someone who has less buy in to the Johnson name, here's the story!

Rocky Mountain was taken, as was Colorado, Mile High, and Pueblo, we thought of Conundrum, and various other silly names, but got nothing. So, since the organizers are both Johnsons and we want to start some more 3-Gun matches, because 3-Gun is the BEST! We just went with Johnson 3-Gun. Until just recently, we left out the Big Johnson! :lol:

Now look what you've started?

We do hope you'll all come, because we promise it will be fun!

Denise