Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Class On A Budget

41mag

Hi folks,

I am going to have to postpone my purchase of an S&W 625 for awhile. In the mean time I would still like to shoot some action with a revolver, one that I already own.

I reload, so down loading the magnums won't be an issue.

The guns I think would be at the top of the list for this duty that I have are.....Dan Wesson model 15 357mag 6" (really leaning torward this one), a Colt Python 6" (really sweet, but backwards cylinder release....I know the Wesson's a little wierd too but I think it would work better for speed loads), Ruger Redhawk 44mag 5 1/2" (I do love this one and shoot it very well, but its a little big). I don't think my other ones are too practical as they are N frames and up (X frames!). The one is a 41mag (smallest) PC gun, almost to nice of a shooter to put to such duty (I have shot groups under 5" at 180 yards).

So I would like to hear your opinons on which one of these you would choose and the list of equipment you would need to complete the system. What type and brand of speed loaders? What type of holster? What type of bullet? Which brass? 357 or 38?

Please offer any Ideas or suggestions.

I was thinking about trying the Maxfire speedloaders, are they any good?

Where I shoot and the number of targets I miss I would need at least six loads of six, even the high cap bottom feeders are doing a couple of mag changes! I would prefer about 8 reloads but depending on which speedloaders you recomend it might be cheaper to buy the 625 :D .

A long post just to ask which speed loaders for the Dan Wesson model 15 357 mag?

Thanks every body.

41 mag

If you are truly just trying to keep the cost low I have 6 or 7 Safariland speed loaders and the speed loader loading block that I would sell for cheap. I got them in a big lot of goodies last year. I have a Dan Wesson model 15 (complete pistol pac) that I love for its accuracy and finish but I bought a 625 for competion. These speed loaders are the basic "twist" type, not the compettion spring push type. If you are interested let me know and I will dig them up in the basement and give you a price.

Hi Pat,

Welcome to the forum. If it were me, I'd figure out which one of the existing guns I own that I could do without, sell it and buy a 625 (Im assumng you're talking about competing in IPSC). If you've made the decision to compete I think you'll be happier in the long run and any funds you spend for accessories would be for the end game instead of trying to make something "Do".

Or buy some Safariland Comp 2 speedloaders and go to town. Either way get it together and have fun shooting.

Hi 41mag, welcome to Revolver Division!

You're correct that you'll need plenty of speedloaders to run 'n' gun in USPSA/IPSC matches. I carry 8 reloads up front plus one around back for emergencies. I tried the Maxfire rubber speedloaders when shooting steel with my 8-shot revos and did not find them to be viable, they were very slow and annoying to use even casually between steel runs.

I have to agree with haras that you will probably be much happier in the long run if you can find a way to acquire a 625 or 25-2. In most areas, with a little diligence you can locate a nice used one for less than $500.

Otherwise, I think I'd choose the Redhawk .41 with 173 p.f. loads. It would be a few ounces heavier than a 625 but very comfortable shooting, and although your reloads will be slower with HKS speedloaders at least you would not be penalized with minor scoring. This assumes you can find some sort of round-nose bullets--now that I think about it, this may be a problem.

Anyway, have fun!

41mag. The Dan could be doable, as could the Python. Jet loaders Range from 12 to 17 dollars each. A chamfer job on either and you ar good to go. The only problem would be that the Python might take the L frame Speed loaders and I'm not really sure on the Dan whether it is the K or L frame loaders. The Max fires are decent but not for competition. With some practice you could really impress some fellows with smooth reloads from the speed loaders. Where do you hale from, or in Okienese "Where the hale you from?" rdd

+1 on trying to acquire a 625 or 25-2. You'd be shooting the "Numero Uno" USPSA Revo Division gun. The gun may set you back some dolare$ but the accesories (clip holders and moonclips) are very inexpensive. You also save shooting a moon clip gun because you never loose your brass.

My $0.02 and WELCOME!

Being somewhat in the same position, I'd choose between the DW and the Python, the main criterion being which one you can speedload faster. There are alot more suitable .38 bullets out there than .41 - this coming from a guy who really likes his nickel 4" M57, and who has shot it in IDPA.

I use 8 Comp II speedloaders for USPSA. Comp IIIs and Jet Loaders can be faster, but I carry a revolver too, and like to use the same stuff in competition as much as possible. As has already been pointed out, the DW takes S&W K frame speedloaders, while the Python takes....Python size ones.

If you can keep your hits in the A zone, minor pf isn't a problem. I can usually do that - then again, as slowly as I shoot, I better be able to shoot As. <_< (I shoot a S&W M14 for USPSA.)

If you are truly just trying to keep the cost low I have 6 or 7 Safariland speed loaders and the speed loader loading block that I would sell for cheap. I got them in a big lot of goodies last year. I have a Dan Wesson model 15 (complete pistol pac) that I love for its accuracy and finish but I bought a 625 for competion. These speed loaders are the basic "twist" type, not the compettion spring push type. If you are interested let me know and I will dig them up in the basement and give you a price.

Thanks fuzzysights,

yea, if they're for the Dan model 15 that would be great! I know I won't win any races but thats ok, I just want to shoot a revolver without loading one or two shells at a time! I will still shoot my auto loader also for now. When I get the 625 that could change, a moon clipped 45 has got to rock.

email me at ohiorainmaker@hotmail.com

thanks 41 mag

41mag. The Dan could be doable, as could the Python. Jet loaders Range from 12 to 17 dollars each. A chamfer job on either and you ar good to go. The only problem would be that the Python might take the L frame Speed loaders and I'm not really sure on the Dan whether it is the K or L frame loaders. The Max fires are decent but not for competition. With some practice you could really impress some fellows with smooth reloads from the speed loaders. Where do you hale from, or in Okienese "Where the hale you from?" rdd

Hey Bubber,

I hale from south east Ohio, Morgan county.

I will have to have a look at those Jet loaders out of curiosty, but that sounds like a hundred and some bucks I should save for the 625 (or 25).

thanks for the info

41 mag

Hey guys - i''m a newbie to this stuff and never shot a speedloader gun in competition, but wouldn't it be about the same price to get the cylinder cut as to buy all those speedloaders?

Also, are there round nose jacketed bullets for the .44 or just lead? I was thinking i'd go with the major caliber if it were me. heavy gun good!

I have homemade moonclip holders myself, i've seen others too.

good luck!

Hi 41mag, welcome to Revolver Division!

You're correct that you'll need plenty of speedloaders to run 'n' gun in USPSA/IPSC matches. I carry 8 reloads up front plus one around back for emergencies. I tried the Maxfire rubber speedloaders when shooting steel with my 8-shot revos and did not find them to be viable, they were very slow and annoying to use even casually between steel runs.

I have to agree with haras that you will probably be much happier in the long run if you can find a way to acquire a 625 or 25-2. In most areas, with a little diligence you can locate a nice used one for less than $500.

Otherwise, I think I'd choose the Redhawk .41 with 173 p.f. loads. It would be a few ounces heavier than a 625 but very comfortable shooting, and although your reloads will be slower with HKS speedloaders at least you would not be penalized with minor scoring. This assumes you can find some sort of round-nose bullets--now that I think about it, this may be a problem.

Anyway, have fun!

Hi Carmoney,

I love that RH. The one I have is just a 44mag, I wish I had a 41mag just like it! I don't think Ruger's making them right now (I never know). Of course the dilemia I would be in if it were! Theres a gun smith (Clement I think) who could convert it to fire 45 win mag with or with out clips, 45acp with clips, 45 auto rim with out clips and 45 GAP with clips, now that would be tempting! I actually talked to him (via email) about that conversion on my 44mag, he said he could do it but he would need one of the smaller cal. cylinders (41 or 357) because the 44 cylinder would'nt clean up.

I loaded up some light loads and shot some practice stuff with it with out regard to speedy reloading and I loved it. I felt faster and more acurate than I do with the autos.

Almost forgot, reloading for a 45 acp already, sure could use a good way to pull bullets from the loads the bottom feeder don't like :D .

Thanks for all the tips everybody.

41 mag

Hi Pat,

Welcome to the forum. If it were me, I'd figure out which one of the existing guns I own that I could do without, sell it and buy a 625 (Im assumng you're talking about competing in IPSC). If you've made the decision to compete I think you'll be happier in the long run and any funds you spend for accessories would be for the end game instead of trying to make something "Do".

Or buy some Safariland Comp 2 speedloaders and go to town. Either way get it together and have fun shooting.

Hey haras,

I know your right about selling one of the children off in order to bring another into the family, I my self have done this very thing in the past....but I am weak and would always wonder with regret that I did the right thing. Much less painful to wait a while longer for one I don't have than to regret later that I sold one I used to have.

I do have a few long guns that I might sell, was thinking about putting them on gunbroker .com. Of course I better be careful about that too, might want to start the three gun thing or cowboy action or somthing....you just never know :D .

thanks

41 mag

I hale from south east Ohio, Morgan county.

41 mag, there are some really good wheelgunners in Ohio. I can think of several right off the bat who are active on this forum: Lefty45, Redmist10 and Bill Nesbitt. All three of them are strong shooters and great guys. Across the river in WV you'll find slflr (although he's quite a ways east), who's also quite skilled and knowledgeable.

I'm originally an Ohio boy myself. Ashland County. But I've been gone since '87, and now live in Iowa. :blink:

I recommend using .44 spl with moonclips in your Ruger Redhawk. You can buy moonclips from TK Custom (www.moonclips.com) along with instructions for machining your cylinder to accept moonclips. Moonclips may also be available from other suppliers as well. (A machinist here n Denver machined the cylinder on my GP-100 for $25.) You will still be able to load your rounds without moonclips after the cylinder is machined. You will avoid fiddling with speedloaders and can work on reloading with moonclips, a skill you'll need when you get a 625.

Use lead roundnose 220-240gr bullets over some fast powder and the recoil should be very mild. Installing different spings and lightly polishing the mating surfaces could improve your trigger. Don't go too far with any abrasives unless you know exactly what you are doing.

That should get you underway. And you will still be able to use your revolver for metallic sillouette shooting and bear hunting.

Good luck and welcome to the revolver clan. :D

Chris

.41Mag, I've got a 5.5" .41 RH myself. I like it better than my 7.5" .44 RH. I've thought about shooting it in a local IDPA or a USPSA match just for giggles. I've got a couple Safariland Comp 1 speedloaders for it and am looking for others. I could load it up with some soft 180 PF loads and give it a whirl. Too bad Ruger isn't making the RH in anything but .44 now. I'd like to find one in .45 Colt to go with my .45 Blackhawk.

You've got a lot of options - try the Dan Wesson in IDPA and moonclip the Redhawk for USPSA. The important thing is to find out which one turns your crank and not somebody else's. Don't worry about what everybody else is shooting - shoot what makes you happy.

Mike- didn't know you were from that neck of the woods! I went to school in Ashland for a couple of years...a long time ago...

Jerry