Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Everyone Have The 1911/2011 Bug Like I Do?

GmanCdp

this is a good question......stole it from the mag topic...the reason is...i just got the new DAWSON catalog in the mail and acted like a kid,it's all marked up with circles of things i'd like to see under the tree...the Eagle 5.0 looks like a good weapon to cross over from one game to the other..it's on page 36 of the catalog..anybody shoot this gun ??? :)

I gave the Eagle some thought while working on the .45 ESP Minor project with Joe D., but got sidetracked into SSP with a Sig-Sauer.

If you want to shoot IDPA and IPSC with the same gun in CDP (.45) or ESP (.40) and in Limited or L-10, it sure looks like the way to fly.

NO!

But the pictures are nice.

I think it said a lot that a real Limited gun won the Limited Nationals this year.

Sort of reminds us all all that it's the shooter not the tricked out race thingy that wins - in any game.

I drool over the S_I stuff, but it really doesn't appeal to me enough to make a purchase. I'm too hung up on only buying pistols that I can work on myself, as opposed to waiting months for a smith to do it.

That being said, I'd camp out in front of a Wal-Mart for days like those PS3 geeks if they were handing them out for free :D

I have an Eagle 5.0 (maybe 5.1) it is an older gun, but shot very little before I bought it used. I also own and Edge, but shoot the Eagle better. Both have been completely reliable.

My Eagle has a bull barrel and so is not IDPA leagal. If it had a bushing barrel, I'd give it a try in IDPA.

I've had one in .40 with a bushing barrel since last Feb. My Edge has not gotten much use since then. It's a great gun to use in both games. If you stick to the IDPA legal mags you can shoot L-10 and not change how you break down a stage or get some long mags and shoot limited with it. You can;t go wrong with one.

Hello: I guess I'm famous for my sayings ;-). I do have the bug bad. I built my 2011 to do both Idpa and Uspsa events. I figured I'm not that good of a shooter so the bushing barrel won't hurt me for Uspsa. I also wanted to try it in IDPA as well. I have a single stack 45 so I wanted to try the 40 S&W. I am sold on the 40 for IDPA loaded to minor power factor with 155 grain bullets. It is a sweet load. For Idpsa the 40 loaded with 185 grain bullets is nice as well. It is so nice I want to make a single stack 40. I also want to make a 6" bull barrel gun now and another 45 single stack. You have to have spares right? Thanks Eric

I have always wanted a S_I and finally bought one. So far I like it alot. Yes a Glock won the Limited Nats this year, but I think you would have to say that was the exception to the rule. Glocks compete very well, but I don't think you can discount the accolades of the 1911/2011 design. With the proper amount of training and focus someone could win with any pistol capable of a high round capacity. What ever you choose, just remember- never let your gear hold you back. ;)