Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911 Mag?

Loves2Shoot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only point I'm trying to make is that if your trying to "game it" a 7 might be better than an 8 because many (not all) targets are in multiples of 2 and starting out with an even number in the gun will make the math work out. While good course designers will make it so there is no advantage either way, many of the local club matches I've been to prove the point.

I'm really not convinced it makes that much difference. At the Idaho state match in 2005, I actually shot 7s instead of 8s. I was just having problems finding 8s that would work. I shot two stages where I thought I had an advantage with the 7s, two where I would have been better off with the 8s, and on everything else it didn't matter. Basically, it was a wash.

Some clubs are additionally stressing that reloads are to be done off-the-clock.

The current Rule Book actually states that, if the course of fire specifies a tactical reload (which these days can refer to either a tac-load or a RWR), then it must be done off the clock. The idea is that a "speed tac-load" during a gunfight is a serious oxymoron. That doesn't mean there aren't stages on which your best choice is an RWR.

I don't see "must" (be done off the clock)

The rules say things like

HQ urges course designers to draft scenario courses that

do not require tac-loads or reloads with retention to be performed

“on the clock”.

Tactical reloads and reloads with retention

are intended for use during lulls in the action and should not be

required on the clock.

But you still have to do a timed Tac Load in the Classifier, so there is no point getting too dogmatic about it.

Duane, guess you guys got a little wind up there. My sister lives on the Sound in Seattle. She missed getting killed by 3 feet when a 100 ft. tree came through her roof. Did about $100,000 in damages to her house.

I did fuss at her a little about sleeping upstairs during high winds.