Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Range Bag

SteveZ

With all this talk about range bags....I've got a Dillon range bag (blue) that I've used for a few years....and the zipper that goes around the "accessory side" (i.e. the opposite of where the gun goes) is starting to develop problems....the zipper doesn't zip the teeth together. Anyone else have this problem? I don't believe Dillon has a no-BS warranty on range bags. I've been thinking about replacing the bag with another Dillon..but if this is chronic problem (thats why I'm asking you guys)....then maybe I should consider something else?

I have a Dillon bag that I have given to my son. I have had that bag since 1996 and it is still fine, albiet dirty. It has really held up well. It was just a little small for all the "junk" I haul around. So, I bought one of Chuck's bags. I think the Dillon is still a good buy for the money if its suits size-wise. Perhaps I should switch to a smaller bag so I don't kill myself hauling all of that stuff around. :huh:

One other thing about the Dillon bag - it has plastic loops for the straps to hook to. I am amazed those loops have lasted as long as they have considering the weight that the bag has carried. I thought about that yesterday as my son was lugging it around the stages at our match.

Edited by Jack Suber

You can usually fix zippers with a pair of pliers. If it has a metal zipper ad teeth. You have to slightly squeeze all sides together. (top to bottom, side to side on both bottom and top) Be careful though squeeze too had and you will break the zipper. It is a little trick I learned at NOLS for dealing with tent zippers in the backcountry. Hope this helps make you bag last longer.

I purchased the conceal carry "computer case" bag. This has the

"hidden" compartment for whatever.

One of the zippers has sucked since day one. I got a second

bag as a gift and it has the same problem.

I need to call Dillon to see what they may do for me.

Bob

If you were to go with one of Chuck's bags, I doubt if you'd ever have a problem.

The last thing I want to be thinking about is my bag, so I go with the good stuff. Of course I would have thought a Dillon bag would qualify as "good stuff".

Steve,

for years, Dillon bags were made in China contracted out through a US company in Pennsylvania who had the Chinese connections. A few years back, Dillon switched the manufacturer to another US based company for mainly business reasons.

So, to your question, as to whether it is a chronic problem, it reallys depends on when yours was made. There were some minor issues with the Chinese produced threading. The newer bags are better quality according to my Dillon contacts, although slightly smaller.

Edited by Cactustactical

Steve,

for years, Dillon bags were made in China contracted out through another US company in Pennsylvania who had the Chinese connections. ...

So, to your question, as to whether it is a chronic problem, it reallys depends on when yours was made. There were some minor issues with the Chinese produced threading. The US made bags are better quality, although slightly smaller.

I'm guessing I must have one of the Chinese bags...I've had threading problems with the zippers to the main compartment that I've had to re-sew and problems with other threading in the bag.

You have to be careful what you read and believe. The first supplier for the dillon bag did make them in china but they were the higher quality bag. The new one is made in Indonesia By Royal Case. There is allot more to this story but you have to beware of individuals taking shots at companies due to a personal vendetta. And I am not talking about anybody taking a shot at me. At least this time :lol:

I had the stitching rip out of a very old Dillon bag many years ago.. I called and they said they could re-stitch it, but I'd have to send it back and pay shipping. I had a local luggage/shoe-repair place do it for less than the shipping cost.

I'm on my second Dillon bag. The first one was replaced 2 or three years ago free of charge because a lot of the stitching came loose and it was falling apart. This bag has zipper problems on both side pockets. I zip them one way and the teeth release and I have a heck of a problem getting the pull back to where I can try again. Also a hole wore through the bottom from setting it on the ground at matches.

I called Dillon and a rep guided me to a place in the front that said electronic and fabric products were only guranteed for on year.

I guess they have adjusted their policy for no BS lifetime warranty.

JFS

They must have changed their warranty then!!

When I lived in AZ, I replaced my Dillon bags a couple of times with no questions asked, I guess good things must come to an end.

I called Dillon and a rep guided me to a place in the front that said electronic and fabric products were only guranteed for on year.

I guess they have adjusted their policy for no BS lifetime warranty.

JFS

I have one from the early 90s. Its held up great. A few months ago, the plastic clip on the strap broke. I called Dillon asking about the no-BS warranty and whether or not it applied to the bags. The guy told me it didn't and that the bag and strap style had changed in the last decade. Then he told me he would look around and find me another strap and send it to me free. Sure enough a couple of days later, I had a new strap. Can't complain about that. Other than being more black than blue from use, it's still going strong. I would like to get a bigger bag one of these days though.