Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Deal On A 1050?

Hey folks,

I've been hoping to up my round count in, as Mr. Enos says in regards to the Dillon 1050, an attempt to "dethrone the great one". I'm currently loading on a square deal and it's a bit slower than I'd like for the amount of shooting that I'm doing. I've got a local shooter here selling a used older model 1050 and is asking around 1,000 for it. That seems like a good price, though its still a lot of money for me. Would it be better to go for a new 650? I even thought that for the price I could practically get a 650 and a bulletfeeder.

Any advice on this price and direction would be appreciated!

I wish i could get a 1050 only thing i see is that the caliber conversions are way more pricier if you plan to load more than one caliber and want to have complete tool heads and shell plates. I currently have a 650 and happy with it maybe for christmas i will get a casefeeder for it and it is about half the price of a 1050. I guess if i had the money i would have gotten a 1050.

Hard to beat the 650 for the money or versitility.

Expensive to load the second caliber for the 1050 but it is still a one time fee.

I have the 650 and if I had to buy again, it would be the 650.

Done deal folks, let the reloading begin! Thanks for the advice (anyone want a Dillon SDB in 9mm???)

I would hang onto it if I were you. At some point you'll probably want another press in a caliber that you load less volume of and it's easier to have a press set up and ready to go than to do a caliber conversion on the 1050.

I have my 650 set up to load .38 Supercomp and then two SDBs that are set up for 9mm and .40.

-Chet

The 1050 that I bought was set up for .40, so I'll need to switch over (I'll be loading 9mm). The seller had all the 9mm dies with the exception of a crimp die and the swaging die. I would have liked to save the SDB but the money needed to go to the 1050! Thanks all for confirming the decision.

• 4 weeks later...
The 1050 that I bought was set up for .40, so I'll need to switch over (I'll be loading 9mm). The seller had all the 9mm dies with the exception of a crimp die and the swaging die. I would have liked to save the SDB but the money needed to go to the 1050! Thanks all for confirming the decision.

from my experience with the RL 1050 is that if i want to change from 40sw to 9mm is i only change my dies,locator buttons and that block and end of the brass tube that feeds the brass to the shellplate...and im ready to roll