Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Polishing Media-what Kind And Where Do You Buy?

The best and longest lasting IMHO is Lyman Tuff-Nut. However I refuse to pay what they want for it.

If I happen to think of it at a gun show, I'll get Georgia Arms corn cob media. Since I usually forget, I buy ground walnut from Pet Smart. Not that the corn cob is better, it just saves me a trip.

I've used all kinds of polish, but nothing special made for the task seems to do a better job than Brasso or any liquid car polish.

Note that I prep the media with Brasso and use it a few days later, just to make sure any ammonia has evaporated.

Now that I've used everything that could remotely be considered a liquid polish in my garage, it's time to see what kind of cheapo polish I can find at Auto Zone.

Petco ground walnut hull for me too. I use mineral spirits in the media to clean the grunge off cases, but don't bother with any actual polish.

I pour the media back and forth between a couple large cardboard boxes to get the dust to blow off before I use it. Do this outside and make sure there isn't a lot of wind ;-/

I prefer to use a good quality corn cob and buy a big bag.

Never use Brasso, it contains a fair amount of amonia and will damage the brass. It has been covered a lot of times on this forum. The amonia will harden the brass cases and cause embrittlement. Not good. Many car polishes also contain small amounts of amonia and in some cases petroleum distilates, again not good.

Use any case polish (Polish not Cleaner) supplied by a reputable manufacturer, Lyman, Dillon, Midway or Hornady etc etc. All of these are amonia and petroleum product free. Many have citrus oils to assist with cleaning.

Saving a few dollars on crap products is not sensible. Use the right stuff and get the results you need.

I get ground walnut hull in 50#s bags for $9.99 at the feed store. Add a couple of cap fulls of Nu-Finish car polish. Be sure to run brass cleaner for 30 minutes or so to get the polish spread out before you throw brass in. Brass comes out great!

I run a mixture of walnut and corncob from Petco. About a 1-3 ratio. I also add a couple of cap fulls of Nu-Finish from Walmart. Works great, and seems to be a quality low cost solution compared to the brands made specifically for "reloading".

Edited by Rocket35

I was using Petco walnut , then found the same thing at the local feed store for even less.

Walnut bird litter is the product ( who knew birds used litter ? ) I see no difference between this stuff and the brass polishing walnut.

Add a cup of Lymans Tuff nut if I have really nasty brass , otherwise just a squirt of whatever I have on hand , Dillon , Midway , etc.

Someday I gotta try rice .

Travis F.

rice as media, 50% nu-finish & 50% mineral spirits.

lynn

+1

The green turtle wax liquid gets absorbed by the rice and lasts a long time.

Rice is a lot neater than the finer media's also.

Rice from Sam's Wholesale. 25# bag. Extra large grain. ( I think)

Wax from the dollar store or auto parts store, etc.

Edited by 9x23

rice as media, 50% nu-finish & 50% mineral spirits.

lynn

+1

The green turtle wax liquid gets absorbed by the rice and lasts a long time.

Rice is a lot neater than the finer media's also.

Rice from Sam's Wholesale. 25# bag. Extra large grain. ( I think)

Wax from the dollar store or auto parts store, etc.

I use corn cob, from the pet store, 25lb for 9$. I also use Dillon polish, the cases come out gleaming.

Question: How often do you change media? It gets extremely dirty quickly, but it seems to polish despite the dirt.

H.

Ammonia evaporates and is a non-issue if the media is prepared in advance.

I don't believe the minor amount used could possibly hurt the brass even if I used it immediately. It certainly has never shortened the life of my .38 Super, .40, or .45 auto brass.

Nothing but an old wive's tale IMHO, but just in case I DO let the ammonia evaporate.