Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Replacement

aerosigns

I recently had my SDM Fiber Optic rod fall out.

I now have plenty of replacement rod, but I am not sure how to secure the new rod in.

The SDM sight has a front and rear post. The front has a small dimple for the rod to rest, and the rear has a pass through hole for the rod to extend.

Do I use blue Loctite, superglue, finger nail polish?

Thanks for the help.

The 25-2 I just got has an SDM sight on it and I was wondering the same thing. All of my other fibre optics the rod goes completely through the sight and you mushroom both ends with a lighter. The SDM sight the rod doesn't go through all the way in the front. What's up with that?

Tom

This is why I think my FO fell out.

I am thinking about heating it in the middle, and then using a small pair of pliers, squeeze in the middle so it won't come through the hole.

or I am going to loctite the little sucker in there.

I think SDM just puts a little red loctite on the solid front piece, and that is all that holds the FO in place. Everything else is very clean, no residue of any adhesive.

If you want to try some other colors PM me with your address Tom. I got 3 ft. of each color, and need 1 inch.

The violet you can't even see.

The light blue is visible, but not subtle. I am installing that one for tomorrows match.

The orange is bright and clear, but I might get back into trouble like I did before.

The green is so bright it burns a hole in your retina. I know I would be in trouble with that one.

Thanks guys.

Bill, I will try the superglue idea right now, before I go with CS' idea about drilling through.

I did 'flame kiss' the end of the rod, which cleared and brightened it up dramatically.

It's a good thing I have lots of this stuff, 'cuz it sucks trying to snap it, cut it, or anything else cleanly. The best I have found is to snap it with your fingers, then give it a little flame to clear it up.

Thanks.

I prefer the end of the rod facing me to be slightly recessed. I cut the rod with sidecuts to slightly too long then rub the end on sandpaper to shorten to length. Smooth the end on emory paper for the final shine. I don't like a starburst on my sight. Just bright enough to see the sight better in poor light. I use the top of the sight for precision shots.

I was wondering where you find these 3ft. peace's of FO rod. I am starting to run low on red and other colors which i have not tried cause i only have out 3 inches of yellow and green. I was trying to find some places that sale this stuff.

Thanks for the info on where to buy fiber optic.

Use a lighter to mushroom the ends :P .........

that helps to keep you in line with the front sight. If you are not lined up properly, the sight is not completely visable.

Mushrooming the front of the optic rod does not help secure the rod becausee it is the rear of the rod that gets the most "hammer" from the recoil.

It is best to use some superglue to secure the rod to the sight. That way you don't have to mushroom the rear or sight end of the rod. You don't want a big blob staring at you, just a dot.

Thanks for the info on where to buy fiber optic.

Use a lighter to mushroom the ends :P .........

that helps to keep you in line with the front sight. If you are not lined up properly, the sight is not completely visable.

Mushrooming the front of the optic rod does not help secure the rod becausee it is the rear of the rod that gets the most "hammer" from the recoil.

It is best to use some superglue to secure the rod to the sight. That way you don't have to mushroom the rear or sight end of the rod. You don't want a big blob staring at you, just a dot.

When super gluing a rod in does it leave a mess when you replace it? do you have to find a small enough drill bit just to clean out the hole for the new rod that you are going to put into it?? Also i was wondering when i super glue some stuff around the house some of it tends to turn white will this happen with the F/O rod also?? Thanks for the Websites for the F/O rod thats a deal compared to the local gun shop that wants 9 dollars for a 5 or 6 inch peace.

• 2 weeks later...

I lost the fiber optic out of a nearly new front sight while taking a class with Bruce Gray. I shot the rest of the day using the sight as is. After shooting had ended for the day, I trucked back to Bruce's house and he installed a new little piece of fiber optic "tube". He secured it with plain old Devcon two part epoxy. I was skeptical at first, but it works great. That's my new attachment method for all my FO front sights.

Edited by señorballistico

Super glue!! I did get a drill bit the same size as the rod, but since it was SGed into place I haven't had to replace it. I like the SG option as I don't have to "mushroom" the ends and can run a much smaller, more precise, fiber rod! KURTM

• 8 months later...

diggin up old threads. I think I am going to get some superglue tomorrow as the mushroomed ends are no where near as bright as the plain old cut ends. so when using the superglue method do you guys put a little in the hole at the front of the sight, then push the rod through, or put the rod in the hole, almost lined up, then some glue on the rod and push it in the rest of the way, from the muzzle?

I recently had my SDM Fiber Optic rod fall out.

I now have plenty of replacement rod, but I am not sure how to secure the new rod in.

The SDM sight has a front and rear post. The front has a small dimple for the rod to rest, and the rear has a pass through hole for the rod to extend.

Do I use blue Loctite, superglue, finger nail polish?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/Inst...sertInstall.jpg

This may help.