Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing When Going Into Battery

Adam B

This scared the sh!t out of me the other day, I loaded up my mag, put it in the gun, released the slide stop and bang, the gun fired. This has never happened before and it has only happened with this ammo ( several times ). This just started so I am going to try some different ammo since I am only having this problem with precision delta ammo. Any ideas on what would cause this???

This scared the sh!t out of me the other day, I loaded up my mag, put it in the gun, released the slide stop and bang, the gun fired. This has never happened before and it has only happened with this ammo ( several times ). This just started so I am going to try some different ammo since I am only having this problem with precision delta ammo. Any ideas on what would cause this???

What kind of gun is it?

The gun is a custom built STI, from what I could tell the hammer wasn't drop firing. The gun only has about 500 rounds through it so I am dismissing the firing pin spring being bad. I am seriously baffled but I am going to swap out the firing pin with a standard length one and see what happens.

The gun is a custom built STI, from what I could tell the hammer wasn't drop firing. The gun only has about 500 rounds through it so I am dismissing the firing pin spring being bad. I am seriously baffled but I am going to swap out the firing pin with a standard length one and see what happens.

Im with britin, spring might be weak even if it is new, or the pin was protruding.

My guess is a cracked/broken firing pin spring causing the firing pin to stay protruded (after all that dry firing) once the gun is loaded and it slam fires the pin is recessed and will not slam fire again until you dry fire it. When you pull the firing pin and spring look for a broken coil or section.

Update!!! Today I decided to fire some factory rounds through the gun and other than having issues with failure to feed (too damn short) they all went off without a hitch. I did notice when I cycled the slide that I got hammer follow a couple of times, but it only happened when I cycled the slide as far back as it could go and it never happened when I shot or chambered the gun. Can the sear and hammer be rescued or do I need to invest in a new set?

Try adding some tension to the left "finger" of the leaf spring first.

also try using a lighter recoil spring. I think your slide is comming forward to hard and causing the sear to be jared off the hammer. I think your situation is caused by too light of a trigger job and too much recoil spring.

Lot of good explanations, bottom line hammer follow shouldn't be happening, Like said I would add some tension to the sear spring. (only take guns appart and work on them if you are comfortable doing so make sure the firing pin doesn't stick out of the gun as it's going into battery if it still happens.

There is no good reason for this to happen.

Lot of good explanations, bottom line hammer follow shouldn't be happening, Like said I would add some tension to the sear spring. (only take guns appart and work on them if you are comfortable doing so make sure the firing pin doesn't stick out of the gun as it's going into battery if it still happens.

There is no good reason for this to happen. or I should say allow to continue happening.

Dude, Steves right on the money, Sear spring is probably set to light, action on the slide going to battery drops hammer. Other factors may include sear to hammer fit, and we could go into disconnectors ect. Light "feeling" is not always accomplished by reducing spring pressure. Theyre are other ways, and be dependable.