Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&p Shoots Low And The Right.......

sasquatch981

Ok so I broke down and got a new M&P. After a short range session today, I noticed that it shot low about 3-4" and to the right about 2" at seven yards. I know that I can drift the rear sight to adjust the side to side but what are my options for the height? I don't think anymore makes new rear sights yet, and all the front sights I have seen are still stock height. Any ideas? :blink:

Mods: If this is the wrong forum please feel free to move to the proper forum.

Edited by sasquatch981

Some ideas...

Let some of your shooting pals try shooting your M&P to see if it shoots low and right for them... and/or you can shoot a couple of other "known zeroed" guns to see if you duplicate the low & right point of impact. If your buddies don't hit low & right, or you shoot the other guns low & left, this might indicate that the your technique could be fine-tuned to correct the problem.

Assuming that your technique is sound, then you need a shorter front sight to raise your POI. Not sure if there are aftermarket sights of varying heights available yet for the M&P. You could get a gunsmith to shorten your sight, or if you are inclined you can do it yourself. A buddy of mine did a ghetto sight job using a diamond sharpening stone and some cold blue... it's not beautiful but works great.

I am left handed. You guys are amazing, it's like working with Karnak the Magnificient.

I should have mentioned that I shot the pistol from a seated postion off a bag. I was being very cognisant of the trigger control, grip, and sight alignment. After seeing that is shot low and the right, I fired the remaining practice rounds off hand standing at the bowling pin bay. I simply aimed higher than normal and slighty right and the pins fell over.

I will have some friends shoot it to see if its me or the pistol.

As for the shot analysis targets out there, since I am left handed, do I look at the symptoms for "low and right", or "low and left" since it would be reversed. :blink:

It's you. ;)

You are gripping it too hard with your strong hand...and as you work the trigger the whole hand milks the gun...causing it to go low and to toward you weak side.

You'll need to figure out how to grip the gun without relying on your strong hand to do the work of holding onto the gun.

If it is in fact the gun/sights and not shooter induced then you still don't need new sights.

To move the point of impact to the left, loosen the set screw on the rear sight and move it to the left. When done don't forget to retighten the set screw.

To move the point of impact up. File on the top of the front sight. Do this slowly as you can't put metal back. Touch up the sight with cold blue when done.

I've been following the replacement sight topics on the boards and the word is that replacement front sights are available now from Speed Shooter Specialties who is on this board in the Dealers area. Rear sights are in the works from several vendors but no one is shipping them yet. Maybe in a month or two if we are lucky. I know that Warren Tactical and Heinie have said they are going to make replacement sights. The Warren sights are in the prototype stage and several shooters are testing them which is a good sign.

get a set of dial calipers and measure your front sight to make sure it is centered in the slide. mine was off and I was shooting to the left about 6-8".

you can order a front sight from www.speedshooterspecialties.com, they specialize in S&W parts. The front sight can be custom ordered to whatever you like. mine was a .040 red rod, .125 wide, .145 tall and .600 long. and it only cost $40, had it a week after I ordered it. They sell a stock size fiber optic for the same price and the stock heigth is .185. the lower one will raise your impact.

one other thing you might do is site your gun in a 25, 15, and 7 yard standing offhand. You might be surprized at how your groups will shift around at different distances, this will be mainly to how you place your finger on a long trigger pull. keep your finger on the same contact point for both a long distance shot or a close shot. this comes is from years of shooting revolvers, and i'll tell other revo shooters when I see them pushing shots to the left on long distance targets

Edited by JohnRodriguez

Other than some loose/uncentered fornt sights, there have been no major issues.

Besides the milking of the grip, I'd also suggest you try some REAL SLOW dryfire. I found on my M&P that if I didn't have my trigger finger in the various "sweet spots" there was a noticable jerk to the right when the striker was released by the sear. I'm a righty, and given what I was doing I REALLY expected it to jerk left.. but right it was.

To answer your sight question, Julie Goloski is running Warren Tactical sights on her M&P, so that is apparently one option. Don't know how easy it is to install. I have a feeling that the custom shop gunsmiths might have done the installation.

Good luck,

Itchy

To answer your sight question, Julie Goloski is running Warren Tactical sights on her M&P, so that is apparently one option. Don't know how easy it is to install. I have a feeling that the custom shop gunsmiths might have done the installation.

Good luck,

Itchy

Production warren sights aren't out yet unless their status changed recently.

Lots of sight makers are syaing real soon now, but real soon keeps coming and going. Heine says sometime afte 01-01-07 now.

I REALLY want something plain, black, flat, and non-glare on my M&P in the rear.