Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walk-thru Safety Straps

Flatland Shooter

Before anyone goes off with "if you needed a walk-thru strap you should get another holster", let it be known I really like my holster (012) but I also like to help out during the stage. I'll shag brass, tape targets, do anything I can to make the stage run smoother.

And this evening it happened. Bent over to pick up a magazine and out dropped the gun. (The RO retrieved the unloaded gun and no DQ.) I never want that to happen again. I'll spend the weekend determining why the holster failed and will fix it right.

But for the mental end, I may never be comfortable moving around the stage helping out if I worry about another dropped gun incident.

So, I want a "walk-thru strap". Never had one, don't remember ever seeing one. And I do not see anything like this at any of the online vendors. I may be looking in the wrong places or searching for the wrong key words. Can anyone advise who makes these things? Or is it a case where everyone makes their own out of spandex and velcro or something?

Dang, its almost 2 AM and I'm still upset over it. Not a good time to be making requests but if anyone can assist, thanks.

signed,

The Village Idiot

Dang that is frustrating. Remember though whatever you do, do not attatch the walk thru strap to the holster. if it is a part of the holster, it must be around the gun at the beginning of the COF just like a retention strap on a duty holster. good luck.

Flatland,

I have used a strap on my 002 for some time. I have never had a problem with my 012, but this will work just the same.

Cable wraps, etc. are all really made from the same exact material. It's a Velcro product called "One Wrap" you can buy it from 3-4" strips to 25' rolls. If you have a hardware store around that is one of those places that has real working hardware, and not a chain store they will have it.

http://www.velcro.com/industrial/one.html

I just doubled the end around and stitched it, so I would have a tab. Cost pennies, and has never failed in a years worth of use.

That was painful to watch, Bill. Anytime I see an Open gun hit the concrete, I shudder. Same thing happened to another shooter at that range and his C-More busted into a half dozen pieces. Good thing your scope is more sturdy! :D

People have already answered your question, but elastic w/velcro tourniquets are another option: http://www.allheart.com/tourniquets.html

edited to add: In fact, I think one of "the brothers" (John or Mike) have one of those for their holster... ?

Edited by Sharyn

*** IF YOU DROP YOUR GUN, DON'T PICK IT UP. IF YOU DO, YOU D.Q. ***

Despite all the warnings from others on this site, I was afraid that if I ever did drop my gun, the first reaction would be to immediately pick it up.

Turns out that was not a problem. I was so shocked when it dropped, all I could do was watch it bounce. If Mike was not there (the RO) to pick it up, I might of just walked off without it. :)

I was in Walmart's automotive department this morning. They have 12" x 5/8" "Magic Ties". Velcro straps that with very slight modification that appears to be the answer.

Bill

I shoot Revolver as well as Auto and on my Revolver I use a bunge tie with the ball at the end . The kind that you would use on a tarp. the big ball is on the out side and when you put your hand down you can feal it eazy. It just raps around and the loop goes over the ball. No bump to the gun like with velcro when you undo it.

JF

That was painful to watch, Bill. Anytime I see an Open gun hit the concrete, I shudder. Same thing happened to another shooter at that range and his C-More busted into a half dozen pieces. Good thing your scope is more sturdy! :D

People have already answered your question, but elastic w/velcro tourniquets are another option: http://www.allheart.com/tourniquets.html

edited to add: In fact, I think one of "the brothers" (John or Mike) have one of those for their holster... ?

Medical geek.

Rich

Yes Mike has one, I always wondered what that strap was for. Sorry that happened Bill, that sucks.

I'm going to miss shooting on Thursdays for at least a month. Got a lead test with my physical and it my level was very high. Probably won't ever be able to shoot at that indoor range regularly again unless they make some major changes to ventilate and clean it up. You might want to let some of the other people there know that, because I haven't been shooting there nearly as long as people like Mike and John. I've been very disappointed since I found that out last week, I really enjoyed shooting with y'all every week.