Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Vs. G17 For Prod., Or Softie .40 In G35?

Matt Griffin

I've been shooting my G35 and I've reached a point where I'm going to make a fairly serious run at competition in the coming year. As such, the G35 suits perfectly in Lim/Lim10, but I also want something for production, and also the GSSF AmCiv division.

The 34 would be the logical choice in 9mm as far as similarity goes, but I don't really have access to enough Glocks to make a personal comparison.

1. Would it be a waste to get a G34 rather than just load up some low-power .40 for my G35?

2. How noticeable is the slide speed differential between the 34 and the 17? I'm a pretty strong shooter, and I believe I can hold a G17 pretty dang stable; will I be waiting on the slide with a G34, or am I kidding myself?

3. I lean towards the 17 if for no other reason than I can use it in the GSSF stock divisions, whereas the 34/35 is restricted.

I'm a cheap bastard, so the last thing I want to do is "throw money at it." I'd much rather have something that is adaptable, provided it doesn't come with an inherent, significant drawback.

H.

There's nothing wrong with minor .40 at all unless you just want an excuse for a new gun.

I haven't noticed "waiting on the slide" with my G35 unless I get below 130 PF. Note that that's with 180 grain bullets. I haven't chronoed my latest 165 grain load, but it feels really good.

Nothing wrong with shooting your G35, to see if you really like Production. You can make the gun cycle a little better by shooting 155s rather than 180s with their 2.x gr of powder.

If you like it I'd shoot a G34 - longer sight radius. With a G17 you might miss the occasional longrange steel that you'd hit with a G34 or G35. Draws & reloads are just as fast.

The G34 slide is almost as light as the G17 slide - it's been dished out on the inside to make it that way. It won't feel sluggish compared to G17; a G35 probably will feel & look slower.

G34 might APPEAR to have more muzzle flip than G17. Rob Leatham has a good post on his "Ask Rob" webpage that explains that pretty well - he's talking about 6" 1911 vs a 5" 1911. It's not more flip, it's the front sight not coming back as far.

Sounds like there is a similar recoil speed between the 17 an 34, which was my main concern. I want a quick, crisp recoil impulse out of a 9mm, since the recoil isn't going to shake the platform very much. The sight radius doesn't concern me overly, I've always been much more susceptible to going too fast than not lining up the sights. Methinks the 17 is the choice; if all else fails, I can build an Open gun off the platform!

H.

There is no such thing as waiting on the slide. You cannot pull the trigger faster than the gun will cycle. Each of the guns mentioned does have a different "recoil cycle".

I did a pretty extensive test a few weeks ago comparing the G17, G34 and G35. I used the same lower to keep the trigger the same. Bottom line was I shoot them all about the same.

The G35 has a couple of advantages over the 9mm. It makes larger holes that will pick up a point or two in a match. I don't buy into the theory that a larger bullet diameter might get you a hit on a non-threat. There are a lot more threat targets than non-threats in a match. Secondly the larger holes are easier to see.

Forgot about the holster rules for some sports: 1/4" from ejection port to holster toe. For those rules a G17 or G22 would allow a faster draw, easier practice sessions.

Also if you like "soft" then you WANT the heavier slides and heavier bullets. If you really like "soft" then your G35 with 165s and Titegroup would be pretty sweet. As they say, your trigger finger will not outrun any gun used in IPSC.

If you like "snappy" then probably a G17 with 125s would be good.

I wouldn't shoot 115s just because they are so much louder [supersonic vs subsonic] & why put up with all that blast if you don't have to.

Having said all that, I think the CZ SP01 is the hottest setup in Prod. Shooting identical PF loads side-by-side with 2 Glocks, it was easier to shoot. Less flip, more stable, better trigger, better magwell.

[stirring the pot... sorry]

Edited by eric nielsen

Forgot about the holster rules for some sports: 1/4" from ejection port to holster toe. For those rules a G17 or G22 would allow a faster draw, easier practice sessions.

Also if you like "soft" then you WANT the heavier slides and heavier bullets. If you really like "soft" then your G35 with 165s and Titegroup would be pretty sweet. As they say, your trigger finger will not outrun any gun used in IPSC.

If you like "snappy" then probably a G17 with 125s would be good.

I wouldn't shoot 115s just because they are so much louder [supersonic vs subsonic] & why put up with all that blast if you don't have to.

Having said all that, I think the CZ SP01 is the hottest setup in Prod. Shooting identical PF loads side-by-side with 2 Glocks, it was easier to shoot. Less flip, more stable, better trigger, better magwell.

[stirring the pot... sorry]

Honestly, I'm no fan of Glocks in a lot of aspects, but I can't give up that grip angle. Hell, I shoot left-handed, and the Glock sucks worse than a 1911 for that. Mmmm, but that angle! It just works for me.

H.

Have shot quite a bit of both 9mm and minor .40 and see/feel no difference. 9mm load was 147gr. JHP from Atlanta Arms. .40 load is a 180gr. JHP with 3.2gr. of Clays @ 1.128oal. The above was with a G17 and a G22. I tried both a 34 and a 35 and did not care for the way the gun felt/reacted while shooting. I settled on a G22 in .40 so I could run major / minor in the same gun. The 180gr. bullet also is better on steel.

Nick-

I Have used both the 34 and 35 in production. Think about changing the recoil spring weight to 13 for the 34 and 14 for the 35. You will not see any problem with waiting for the slide and the muzzle will not dip as much from the slide going back into battery as hard.

If you have the opportunity...shoot both and pick the one that you shoot the best. The G34 is nice, since you can add an extended tungsten guiderod for additional "forward" weight, and comes stock with the extended magazine release, which EVERY Production Glock shooter should have!

I see a lot of shooters shooting what they have become familiar with and the conclusin that I come to is that with ample practice and dry fire any of the aformentioned platforms will take any shooter to what ever level their skill and dedication drives them to.

that being said I do feel that the 9 mm is the prefered caliber to consistantly shoot 130 powerfactor loads thru with reliability and consistant lockup and the required acuracy to make a go in production.

17 vs 34 there realy is no diference in the 2 other than sight radius. the slides weigh 11.7 ozs striped acording to my digital scale that I keep by the mill.the 34 will be a litle light in the front but this is a percived thing and will deminish after an evening of dryfire.

22vs 35 similar in all regards as the above .

the real diferences come in when tring to make minor in the 40 . I believe after working with several shooters that have went this route that it can be done but that a few things need to be kept in mind. With the heavier slides needed to contain major 40 ammo the recoil spring will have to be lightened to the lightest spring that will keep the gun in battery

and that alows the gun to cycle with regularity.

To many times i have seen 40 minor guns falter in odd situations like strong hand ,week hand or any situation that makes for a week platform.like shooting around a baricade or a high port where the gun is at an unfamilaiar angle.

this can be exspained by the shear phisics involved and that can be a lenghty post so you will have to trust me on that one. the bottom line is that there is not enough power available to cycle the gun once the shooting platform breaks down.

one way to combat this problem is with quick powders that snap the action. in minor at 130 preasures wont be a problem so the quicker the beter.

this snap will alow for a heavier spring which will aid in lockup and help acuracy.

minor 40 is doable but my personal preferance would be 9mm and a 34.

imho johnnie