Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sendero Barrel

bigbrowndog

does anyone have experience with the factory remington sendero barrel(stainless). is it a barrel worth using for MOR/Sniper. does it give the accuracy needed? what is its lifetime? is it worth hanging on to, or should i scrap it and screw on a new barrel? is it too light?

thanks trapr

You need to tell the audience what cartridge the barrel is chambered for for them to tell you what the expected life would be.

IMO the OEM Sendero barrels are fine. You should be able to get at least .75-1 MOA out of it with handloads. Waaaayy more than enough for USPSA MOR. Adequate for Sniper and precision rifle events.

Trapr,

Is the barrel on a rifle now, or is it something that's taken off? Some Remington barrels shoot like crazy, others about average. What caliber is it? If .308, Remingtons are known for real long throats in .308. So, there is lots of bullet jump. My 700 Police, (not PSS) will barely hold onto a Sierra 168 if it's seated out close to the lands. Still shoots well, but loong throat. Barrel life varies a lot with different rifle calibers. A .308 will last a long time,.243 much less, perhaps 1/3 the life of a .308.

I guess the best answer is to shoot it, and see how it groups at distances likely to be shot in matches. If nothing else, shoot it in practice, burn it up, then put a new barrel of the configuration of your choosing.

Hope this helps, even a little.

Trapr,

The accuracy of the barrel should be fine. However remmy barrels (and most factory barrels) tend to foul pretty easily and collect copper especially in the mag calibers. I have a PSS in .308 that shoots great from an accuracy standpoint but was a pain in the ass to clean. I ran Tubbs Final Finish thru it and it helped a great deal. Not as easy as a top notch Schneider, Broughton, Krieger etc but definitely a noticeable improvement.

As far as barrel life, you should get 800-1200 rds depending on your load and powder.

A great resource is www.snipershide.com

Trapr:

I've got a Sendero in 300 Win Mag and it shoots OK - say 1 to 1 1/4 MOA, although sometime better. I shoot the 200 grain accubonds so that I can hunt with it too. I've dabled with the Berger 190s and had decent success there as well, but I need to work on them a bit more. They're OAL sensitive, but I got better results with them. Alan has one as well and he is doing a bit better with his. I believe he is staying in the 3/4 range fairly consistently. Both of us are planning on shooting these barrels up and then replaceing them with something better.

Say high to the mut for me.

Michael

DOH!!!!!!

300 win mag..............sorry!

trapr

its a take off barrel, if that matters

The only reason it matters if it's a take off, is you can't shoot it to see if it's good or bad. No other reason. If you have a barrel vise, wrench and headspace gages, you can screw it on your action and see. Other wise you have to pay someone to do it, the headspace might be off on your reciever, needing adjustment, timing so markings kind of line up, etc. I could cost almost as much as fitting a new barrel, only without the price of a new blank.

Kind of a tough call at that point.

thanks guys, i spoke with benny hill today and he agrees that its probably worth trying. i'll shoot it up, and play, then if i like the game i'll put money on a hart or krieger. mike field, as i type this, the dog is bumping into the table wanting some attention. he thinks the squirrel from this afternoon is still outside in the tree, waiting for him to come out.

benny said he'd be willing to screw the barrel and rcvr. together and headspace it for me, and he usually just charges me food on the easy stuff, if it gets difficult then movie might be in order.....................................wait a minute this sounds like a date??????????????? :lol::lol:

see ya'll later, and thanks

trapr

benny said he'd be willing to screw the barrel and rcvr. together and headspace it for me, and he usually just charges me food on the easy stuff, if it gets difficult then movie might be in order.....................................wait a minute this sounds like a date??????????????? :lol::lol:

trapr

Trapr,

For that kind of deal, it's worth a try. I'm not sure about the date though. :lol:

Trapr-

I shoot A191 (MIL 190 grn Sierra BTHP) in my Sendero that I have tricked out. The bullets are seated long in this ammo, which gives me about .0005-7 clearance. Did a Tubb final finish to the barrel and haven't looked back. It shoots 1-1.5" groups at 300 Yards (Benelli 2 is my witness-he couldn't believe it) from a bench. I put a McBros stock on it, good trigger and my comp. The longer rounds DO fit the magazine. I say go with what you got. BTW-the Federal GM match ammo is about the same, just not loaded as long.

If it helps, I just picked up a 700 VS in trade. It has the factory barrel on it (CM). I took it out yesterday and shot it at 100, it was pretty windy, it printed right 1/2 inch with some throw together 168's and full length resized brass, winch primers, and RL15. I kinda didn't beleive it, so I took it out today with the same load and shot it at 200, groups ran from 3/4 to 1 today (less wind).

Just try your barrel, it might be good.

Huck,, just take your barrel off and send it to me................... :lol:

just kiddin'

thanks, i've actually got several options available, one of them is a CM barrel, that mr. hill had laying around, from a 700 varmint, the other is the sendero barrel i spoke of, and still another is just buy a kreiger/lilja, and be done with it.

Trapr

I just looked in the brownells catalog, you can get a shilen, contoured, threaded and Short chambered for 188 (dealer) in cm. True the action, install that barrel,chamber it and you ought to have a one holer. I have had VERY good luck with shilen tubes.

Trapper,

I think the Remington barrels on the Sendero's and PSS's are very underated. I'm about 10 rounds shy of 1000 on my PSS and it will still do 3/4 easy. Right before the 3GN this year, I was getting a little MOR practice in with it and I was hammering a 6" plate at 400 with ease and I still had plenty of white paint around the group on the steel. I would work up a load and give the factory barrel a try.

Think of it like a high-maintenance woman. Yeah, there are a lot of work, but sometimes they are worth it. :D

Excuse me while I duck for cover. :ph34r:

Erik