Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Streptococci

carinab

No North Texas Sectional for me! :( Inconveniently I seem to have caught the strep throat going around my daughter's class while on their school field trip. My throat is on fire and my the throbbing in my head feels the same as when RO'ing a 9x21 open gun on a prone stage. Ugh...time to go gargle with apple cider vinegar. :(

No North Texas Sectional for me! :( Inconveniently I seem to have caught the strep throat going around my daughter's class while on their school field trip. My throat is on fire and my the throbbing in my head feels the same as when RO'ing a 9x21 open gun on a prone stage. Ugh...time to go gargle with apple cider vinegar. :(

Sorry to hear that. Be careful with the strep. In 1997 I apparantly had a mild case when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. 3 months and 3 trips to the hospital later I had a hole in my chest and was on the most powerful antibiotic known to man when it attacked my sterno-clavicular joint. 6 week on twice daily IV's cured me of being complacent about strep. See your doctor get drugs and kill it D-E-A-D Dead.

Jay :)

See your doctor get drugs and kill it D-E-A-D Dead.

Jay :)

I agree. You need to get treatment. There are serious complications- Post streptococcal glomerulonephritis (PSGN), Rheumatic Fever......

If I were you, I'd get in my car right now and go to the ER for a Strep Test.

+1

you need meds

I've had it several times, apparently after the first time you get, your resistance to strep gets lower.

only drugs will kill it, home remidies and time won't, and you'll feel like shit the whole time.

Carina,

+4,000 to what these guys said. I got strep in college. By the time I went to the ER late one night, they thought I had pneumonia and pleuresy. One shot of penicillin and a two weeks of follow-up oral administration did the trick. The most astounding part of the deal was how much better I felt the first morning after the injection. My throat didn't hurt, head was clear, etc... I felt like a new person.

Go to the doc now and get it taken care of. You can do some of the other home remedies in addition to the professional care. There's a lot to be said for the chicken soup, both nutritionally and emotionally when you're sick.

Liota

Carina,

Now that you are on meds, two quick stories.

My step daughter lost her husband in 2001, he was diagnosed with pneumonia at first then it was discoverd that he had a strep infection, it got into his lungs in 48 hours he had passed away.

2nd story. My wifes neice had a strep infection back in 2003, she spent about 2-3months in the hospital, was placed in a medically induced coma, and the only way they could remove the strep infection was to remove her sternum.

So for everyone out there, you have heard of staph infections that people get when they are in the hospital, well it is usually caused by strep, so if you have the initial symptoms of strep go see a director and get the appropriate antibiotics.

If you would like to look up additional information do a search on the internet for necrotizing fascitous, the flesh eating bacteria is strep.

Also Carina, here's to your quick recovery

Alan

Edited by Alan Meek

Wow, thanks for all the kind thoughts!

I took my daughter to the doc yesterday since she had to stay home a day in the middle of last week. She complained of a sore throat but I thought since she was congested that it was a simple cold/flu. She busted the fever in under a day and was perky the next so I let her go back to school. But since I had tested positive, I figured I better get her checked even though she seemed back to normal. Sure enough, she tested positive. She and I are doing the meds in tandem. I made an appointment for the husband but he came back negative which isn't surprising. I think he has cockroach DNA somewhere in his ancestry because he never gets ill. His metabolism never slows down enough for anything to take root apparently. I always joke that when he showers, it's actually more like an ultrasonic cleansing because on a molecular level, he's just too busy! :D

I'm still kinda' tired but I can feel that the anti-bioctics have kicked in. No more pressure on the ears and the neck isn't stiff and swollen. Another ten days and I should be spiffy....just in time to practice for Area 4!

ETA: BTW, it sounds terrible (mostly because it is) but when your throat is really hurting, gargling with a solution of 1 tbsp of apple cidar vinegar to 2 tbsp of water really does the trick. It works a heck of a lot better than those throat sprays.

Edited by carinab