Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Protection Over Glasses

Markbo

I have to have prescription glasses to walk around the house, let alone shoot. I have tried a couple of sets of prescriptions in frames like the Rudy Project with poor results. I just couldn't use them.

Because of the strength of my prescription if I use oversized frames, like common aviator style shooting glasses, my lenses are too thick around the edges to wear. Therefore I have to wear relatively small glasses - which happen to be stylish now - but finding any safety glass to fit over them is a continual and never ending search. I have yet to find any that really 'fit' without feeling like they are about to fall off or are tank commander goggle size.

Can anyone recommend a more realistic alternative? I have spent a fortune over the years on $20 shooting glasses that I can't use, so I am willing to try anything - except prescription inserts. I simply must have my lenses close to my eyes and tacking on lenses or inserts to glasses too far from my eyes doesn't work for me.

I appreciate any help

Mark

Personally,I wear contacts most of the time but when I do wear prescription glasses, they are my regular ones, plastic lenses, nothing fancy.

If you are really worried, tell your optician that you want saftey glasses in your prescription.

I wear bifocals and have a hefety scrip also. I got a pair of rec specs fitted with my far scrip and they work great for shooting. They were 129.00 with the perscription lenses. These are lenses not inserts and they look cool. Here is the link, I have the bikers

http://www.libertyoptical.com/products_main.asp

Edited by Azone41

I'm pretty blind too, can't make out the Big E. try this company http://www.sportglasses.com/. I use the Hy-wide and they hang the lenses from top edge of lenses with notches. That way they can use almost any blank size. Get your eye script and give them a call.

Love mine, almost had to give up iron sites until I found these guys!!!!

Tubb and Miculek wear them

Edited by cking

Yeay... can't see the big E... somebody who understands!

Warpspeed & Azone... I have just entered into the bifocal world. I tried progressive lenses last year and they sucked... I absolutely hated them. They were useless for shooting off a bench (which I do a lot of) and going to bifocals is a whole 'nother issue.

I am trying to locate someone who can make me a pair with the bifocal in intermediate focal length on the top. I actually sent an email to Decot and just got a response that I should call them to discuss it in more detail. Maybe they can make something I can use.

I am trying to locate someone who can make me a pair with the bifocal in intermediate focal length on the top.

Markbo,

Visit with your optometrist. We did a second prescription with the top portion of the bifocal focused at 28" (for use with computer screens). She advised they can do the same for any distance I wanted.

Bill

I screwed around with bifocal glasses for shooting and found that while they do work, they never will be "fast". What works for me is my current pair where the weak eye is set for distance vision and the strong eye is set to the front sights. This is about as good as it gets for me. I was just spending too much time moving my head around for each shot. I just put the glasses on 10-15 min before the match and I really don't notice them.

Later,

Chuck

So you can see both target and the sights with one lens for one eye and one lens for the other?

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. Sorry. What I see is the targets and stuff at a distance with my weak eye. With my dominate eye, I see crisp sights with a blurry target. Prior to these glasses I used a pair of "computer" glasses where the focal length was set to the sights for both eyes. This worked fine except for stages where there were longer shots (20-40 yards). I had difficulty in picking out the proper blurry thing to sight on. With the weak eye seeing distant, that problem went away.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

...What works for me is my current pair where the weak eye is set for distance vision and the strong eye is set to the front sights...

Chuck

I have the same, but for my contacts, over which I wear a second correction when I shoot.

I am both very myopic (nearsighted) and presbyopic (old age induced farsightedness). My dominant eye contact lens is corrected to front sight distance, which works for reading as well. My weak side eye is corrected to 20/20 for distance. This is good for most everything I do at work or home. If I drive, watch movies, or shoot through a scope, I have glasses that have plain glass for the 20/20 weak eye, and correction in the dominant eye back to 20/20 distance. For action shooting, its just the contacts. With both eyes open on a near target, I get a sharp FS image over a slightly blurred target image. At distance, I get a sharp target (ghosted image) over a sharp FS. My eyes don't have to adjust (which is just as well because they cant :D ).

This might be extreme but you might want contacts set up the same way, and use a light and comfortable low power insert on your eye protection.

Be advised, this works for some, but not all. Some folks get headaches or nausea because their eyes get crossed up with this approach. It works for me, though, and apparently also for Chuck.

Kevin C.

Edited by kevin c

• 3 weeks later...

When I turned 40 a couple years ago, my near vision started to go, but I still see 20/20 beyond arms length. I went to the optometrist (sp?), asked for a pair of glasses with polycarbonate safety glass, clear through the center, with the bi-focal up top, so that when I tilted my head slightly for presentation of the gun, the front sight would be crisp and in focus, but when I went to move, I would be looking through plain safety glass. They made'em no problem, they called the bi-focal uptop "Industrial" something or another, but it is a common grind for lensmakers, and they are still working very well for me.

All of the big name optical stores have their proprietary lens materical now that is lighter, thinner, and offers more protection than polycarbonate. It does tend to cost a little more.

Eyemaster's ran a special of buy one get one free awhile back. I bought one pair for everyday wear (let my wife pick those out) and a second pair for shooting. The shooting ones have bigger lenses so I get more protection and can see more area without having to move my head.

Hopefully, I'll get to have Lasik or PRK later this year and not have to worry about it any more.

I am trying to locate someone who can make me a pair with the bifocal in intermediate focal length on the top.

Markbo,

Visit with your optometrist. We did a second prescription with the top portion of the bifocal focused at 28" (for use with computer screens). She advised they can do the same for any distance I wanted.

Bill

Check of this link DeCot HyWide Bifocal they will make you a pair of 45MM bifocal lenses & the HyWide frame will allow you to move the bifocal out of the way when the target is more important than the front sight.

Edited by LPatterson