carinab

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AikiDale,

I do believe that you and I are cut from the same bolt of cloth. Here is a clip from wikipedia...

Great Scott

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Great Scott! is an exclamation of surprise or amazement which was commonly found in superhero comic books and often said by Superman; it is also known as a line from the character Doc Brown of the Back to the Future film trilogy. The expression dates back at least to the American Civil War, where the phrase appears in the 3 May 1864 diary entry by Private Robert Knox Sneden (later published as Eye of the Storm: a Civil War Odyssey). “ ‘Great Scott,’ who would have thought that this would be the destiny of the Union Volunteer in 1861–2 while marching down Broadway to the tune of ‘John Brown’s Body’ ”.[1]

One possible origin is that it refers to a real person. In an 1871 issue of Galaxy magazine, there is the sentence: "‘Great—Scott!’ he gasped in his stupefaction, using the name of the then commander-in-chief for an oath, as officers sometimes did in those days”. And in a May 1861 edition of the New York Times: “These gathering hosts of loyal freemen, under the command of the great SCOTT”. These appear to be references to the one-time commander of the U.S. Army, General Winfield Scott.

Another possible origin of the phrase is that people seeking to emulate the German Prince Albert altered and anglicized "Gruess Gott!", or "Good God!" into "Great Scott!". The etymologist and author John Ciardi once believed this, but later recanted in a radio broadcast in 1985.

The exclamation can also be found in C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia, such as by Digory in the first book "The Magician's Nephew", or by Peter in the second book "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".

In the television cartoon Sheep in the Big City, there is a character called Great Scott, who appears every time anyone says "Great Scott", saying "Ye-e-e-s?".

Could you all imagine if Sylar managed to "gather up" all the collective abilities ???

He currently has:

Telekinesis

Ultimate Memory

Ultimate Persuasion

I don't think he got Eden's skill. I think Eden killed herself to prevent Sylar from gaining her skill. I'm theorizing he needs an intact brain to get the ability from the original owner, thus the careful brain thefts in the past.

Yes, he did. Telekenisis, at least in the comic book world, would allow you fly - you're moving yourself with your mind.

Pickles theory is confirmed in the online comic (that nbc likes to refer to as a graphic novel) at this link.

ETA: Thank goodness the STC, STW tagline is gone. It was beyond irritating. If I had to hear it one more time, I was going to go Sylar and cut my own brain out!

Edited by carinab

Yes, he did. Telekenisis, at least in the comic book world, would allow you fly - you're moving yourself with your mind.

Pickles theory is confirmed in the online comic (that nbc likes to refer to as a graphic novel) at this link.

ETA: Thank goodness the STC, STW tagline is gone. It was beyond irritating. If I had to hear it one more time, I was going to go Sylar and cut my own brain out!

I agree...there are only so many episodes of a show that you can carry a tagline through.

I believe Sylar's ability is exactly what he said it was, he has the ability to know how something works. He used it to fix clocks (er, timepieces... :D ) for a long time and now he's psycho.

He can take the brain of a hero (or a normal person I suppose) a know how the special skill works and then use it himself. I'm still trying to figure out how the Haitian is able to prevent Sylar from using his skills. Lots of theories, but I guess it'll be 4-5 months before we find out.

It's a good show, I can't wait for 24 to start though.

The Haitian seems to be able to shut all powers down

I've considered that, but Nathan Petrelli flew away from Bennett and the Haitian.

True, but the cop, Matt Parkma, was able to get the name 'Claire' out of the HRG guy in the presence of the Hatian too. After he said it, HRG guy made some comment like "they're futher along than I though they would be."

I'd like to know how Sylar survived Matt emptying a magazine into him at the police station. Did he stop the bullets telekinetically before they reached him? Also, in the last episode, when Eden points the gun at Sylar's head, he says "We both know that won't hurt me." Does Sylar think he has absorbed Claire's power, or does he have some other powers we don't know about yet.

He may have been able to do it with TK but I would guess that maybe he has a metallurgy power ala Magneto. And this is the point where I fess up that I was into comics....so much so that I was on the board of directors for ComicCon for quite a number of years.

Edited by carinab

He may have been able to do it with TK but I would guess that maybe he has a metallurgy power ala Magneto. And this is the point where I fess up that I was into comics....so much so that I was on the board of directors for ComicCon for quite a number of years.

No shame in that! In a few years, my X-Men and Wolverine comics should be work enough for a new S_I Open gun :wub:

No shame in that! In a few years, my X-Men and Wolverine comics should be work enough for a new S_I Open gun :wub:

Tell me about it...I have first issue Dark Knight Batman series sigend by Miller, first issue Watchman, Question, Judge Dredd, custom art by David Keen, a green lantern done by the originator as a thank you for scoring him some banquet tickets, and a batman t shirt signed by Bob Kane...oh and Mage shirt signed by Matt. Maybe someday I won't be so attached to it all that I can auction it on Ebay.

So the other brother becomes the NBC version of the Human Torch? This past episode left me a little disappointed. My theory on the Hatian dude: He understands the importance of the "Hero" group, and allows them some slack, i.e.,

Let Nathan Petrelli fly off

Throws a bone now and then to Matt Parkma

Probably didn't wipe the cheerleaders mind

But he completely nullified Sylar's abilities......hmmm <_<

So the other brother becomes the NBC version of the Human Torch?

No, I believe Peter Petrelli absorbed the power of the radioactive guy. I think perhaps some grievous event happens and then Peter's emotions run out of control - like the radioactive guy this results in nuclear events.

No, I believe Peter Petrelli absorbed the power of the radioactive guy. I think perhaps some grievous event happens and then Peter's emotions run out of control - like the radioactive guy this results in nuclear events.

Damn...I completely forgot about that cat. I bow to your Heroes knowledge!

Well, when you put enough radiactive matieral in a small enough space, BOOM! My guess: Peter runs into radiactive-guy, mimics his powers, and the two of them next to each other causes a chain reaction.

Well, when you put enough radiactive matieral in a small enough space, BOOM! My guess: Peter runs into radiactive-guy, mimics his powers, and the two of them next to each other causes a chain reaction.

I wonder if that leaves the scar that Hiro spoke of when he met Peter in the Subway, Hiro came back from the Future to tell them to "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" hmmmm?