Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Successful Fraud Order In My Store In 7 Years

benos

Today, Joni noticed a $95.38 chargeback (deduction) in our bank account. Typical - the money's out of my account and I haven't received notfication from anyone. So we search our orders for "95.38" - only one order comes up - 8 tubs of Slide-Glide and a Super-cheap Brush, to the Philippines. I had no reason whatsoever to doubt the order. (The family name was "ng" - but whatever...)

Then we check the PO box and get the chargeback letter from my merchant bank. From Rayxxxx Axxxs, with a US phone number. I cross-check/match the credit card number to the online Philippine order... Then call and talk to a very sweet lady (his wife). When I told her the CVV code had to match for the transaction to approve - she said they suspicioned the thieves got all the card info at a restaurant (where they disappeared with their card for a bit).

In 7 years of fullfilling orders through my Online Store, this is the first fraud order that I actually fulfilled. I have successfully detected and voided all the transactions for every attempted fraud order – before the credit card batched - previous to this order.

So it's a sad day for me and Joni here at BrianEnos.com.

;)

Here's the name/shipping address for the order:

Ship To

Address: alex ng

dr1 dagohoy st. san antonio vill. 2

cebu city, cebu 6000

Philippines

1 SGXXB 2 Tubs of Slide-Glide & Brush @ $ 18.69 = $ 18.69

Weight2=#3,Weight1=#1

2 SG001 Slide-Glide #1 @ $ 9.95 = $ 19.90

4 SG003 Slide-Glide #3 @ $ 9.95 = $ 39.80

So if any of my Philippino friends know this person or address...

B)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-==-=-==-=-==-=-=

As I'm guessing this might come up - I'd prefer not to discuss the "First 5 digits of ZIP Code Do NOT Match (N)" authorization setting in this thread.

Yet another graphic example of why you don't hand over the credit card anywhere and let them disappear with it.

You are darn lucky if this is the first one Brian. Thanks for looking out for us!

Brian,

My symphaties. As a Filipino, I feel bad about this :(

However, I will join forces with Eye Cutter and try to pinpoint this guy.

Edited by 9MX

Brian

It always burns to be the victim of fraud. But its a testament to the general shooting community that it hasn't happened before.

I have bought and sold numerous items to and from people on gun boards and so far all good.

al

what a dick, sorry but i cant help it. This is the reason that some online stores do not accept my card.

Problem is that its us honest people that get hit.

Hope he gets it literally in the head.

Mods, Feel free to correct dick ito assho$#@

I believe you should contest the chargeback. They have authorized the transaction then they should pay for it.

The reason you got the chargeback is because the original cardholder complained about the transaction, not knowing that his/her card information has been compromised. Automatically, they charge it back to the merchant. The settlement should be between the cardholder and the card company. If the cardholder was proven to be careless with their use of the card then he/she pays for the transaction, if not then that's the time the card company will shoulder the amount as a loss.

Too bad you didn't catch this earlier - you could have sent him a batch which contained lapping compound :)

Yet another graphic example of why you don't hand over the credit card anywhere and let them disappear with it.

You are darn lucky if this is the first one Brian. Thanks for looking out for us!

Won't work in a restaurant. If they take the impression in front of you, it's not going to be hard for them to memorize the CVV2 value while checking the signature.

The real benefit of watching the card is that they can't run an extra slip and have it processed as a "card present" transaction.

I believe you should contest the chargeback. They have authorized the transaction then they should pay for it.

The reason you got the chargeback is because the original cardholder complained about the transaction, not knowing that his/her card information has been compromised. Automatically, they charge it back to the merchant. The settlement should be between the cardholder and the card company. If the cardholder was proven to be careless with their use of the card then he/she pays for the transaction, if not then that's the time the card company will shoulder the amount as a loss.

BE,

can i clarify something? just to make sure i got it right:

1. You processed an order billed to Raxxxx Axxxx, US based credit card?

2. Sometime later, you saw a chargeback from your merchant bank

3. Traced the order and matched it to the package shipped to a certain Alex Ng?

4. Which wife did you talked to?

thanks!

I'll donte toward the airfare of BE to the Phillipines...

If this Alex Ng is a member of the Philippine Practical Shooters Association (PPSA), and assuming he is the culprit...he can be traced and possibly sanctioned (this one just my opinion)

I'll donte toward the airfare of BE to the Phillipines...

I'll take care of lodging, transportation and meals. What a F***ing A-h@le! Brian I think you should contest this case with the bank. I think Batangueno is correct, the case is between the bank and the card holder and NOT the merchant. This happened to my sister too in Canada and the bank took care of everything. I really think we should find this guy... :angry:

Actually, it does work...if the CVV has been obfuscated, they can't memorize it. Kinda hard to do on an AMEX card though.

CVV was a good stop-gap measure but we need better, stronger methods.

The banking industry is already heading to multi-factor authentication for online banking. Expect that to start appearing in cards as well.

Mr. Alex Ng

dr1 dagohoy st. san antonio vill. 2

cebu city, cebu 6000

Philippines

Dear Sir,

I wish to congratulate you on being chosen to be a guest of the fine folks of the State of Texas at their next major match. Not necessary for you to bring a gun, gear or ammo. Everything you need will be taken care of.

Please advise how soon we can expect your arrival. A group of smiling Texas shooters can't wait to greet you at the airport. I'm certain this trip will be one that will not be soon forgotten.

Sincerely,

Flatland Shooter

p.s. Please make plans for an extended stay. Many others in the shooting community would also like the opportunity to meet you.

Thank you Chris, Daniel, and Mark for donating... but please - no more donations. :) I feel bad. Especially if I can convince my merchant account that the issue is between the card holder and their bank. ;)

This is just part of the cost of doing business on the internet. I'm very lucky this is my only actual fraud order (I fulfilled) in almost 7 years of doing this.

This issue brings up another issue regarding overseas sales. I'm about ready to set my store for US sales only. International orders are pretty much just a loser overall. It's amazing how many orders I have to re-send, especially to the Philippines. A lot of stuff just never shows up, then you gotta try to get a new shipping address and reship everything n/c... But probably the biggest bottom line problem is "fraud order potential factor." But not for this type of $100 order, it's the $3,000.00 fraud order to Gyana that batched through before I could catch and void it - that's the big fear. Because, even if I determine it's fraud, I had to pay transaction fees for the order and then again to refund the card.

be

BE,

can i clarify something? just to make sure i got it right:

1. You processed an order billed to Raxxxx Axxxx, US based credit card?

2. Sometime later, you saw a chargeback from your merchant bank

3. Traced the order and matched it to the package shipped to a certain Alex Ng?

4. Which wife did you talked to?

thanks!

1. No, the order was billed to Alex, and I had no idea whether it was a US card or foreign card. (And I have to start checking every international order to verify that it was placed with non-US card, that's one more reason to stop overseas sales from my store.)

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Raxxxxxx's - the wife of the guy with the compromised card.

Thanks Ivan. I'll think about it.

The only reason I continue to sell "products I ship" overseas (through my online store) is to allow easy access for these items to people who can't get them. I definitely don't do it to make money.

And with the best regards I'd like to say - Save your donations for the big yearly fund raiser!

:D