Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sa Xd New Purchase Advice

Pittbug

I currently shoot CDP/IDPA with a kimber, but may be getting an XD for christmas. This would only be for plinking/idpa, although I would like to try uspsa and steel plates some day. Would a 40S&W be more versatile than the 45acp?

I reload and have dies for both calibers; component prices are pretty close between the two calibers, so cost is not really a major factor for me.

Thanks.

Then I would pick the 40 over the 45. That gives you the ability to shoot it in Limited10 major and Production minor. Drop hints that the Tactical is better than the Service because of the ability to use a replacement guide rod and different springs and shoot really soft almost like a 22.

I agree the 5 inch is probably a better choice for competition but you can get a one piece guide rod and a variety of springs for either the 4 or 5 inch version. I would suggest going and renting both caliber in both length and get the one you like best.

At present neither the XD-40 or XD-45ACP will every by competitive in Limited, strictly a production and Limited-10 gun. The XD-40 suffers from the 40S&W-in-a-9mm frame problem and thus uses 9mm width magazines so magazine capacity will never be what a 40S&W should be.

That said I have been shooting my XD-40 Tactical in Limited-10 and it has treated me very well. If you do decide on an XD-40 get one made after June of this year. All of the newer XD's are coming with a melonite finish on the slide. This finish is similar to the tennifer finish Glocks have. The older XD's did not have a good finish and were notorious for rusting.

I would also suggest checking out http://www.xdtalk.com there is a lot of good information on SA XD's over there. I'm sure they would have a lot of good additional information to help you on your choice.

Hope that helps

mcb

I agree the 5 inch is probably a better choice for competition but you can get a one piece guide rod and a variety of springs for either the 4 or 5 inch version. I would suggest going and renting both caliber in both length and get the one you like best.

At present neither the XD-40 or XD-45ACP will every by competitive in Limited, strictly a production and Limited-10 gun. The XD-40 suffers from the 40S&W-in-a-9mm frame problem and thus uses 9mm width magazines so magazine capacity will never be what a 40S&W should be.

That said I have been shooting my XD-40 Tactical in Limited-10 and it has treated me very well. If you do decide on an XD-40 get one made after June of this year. All of the newer XD's are coming with a melonite finish on the slide. This finish is similar to the tennifer finish Glocks have. The older XD's did not have a good finish and were notorious for rusting.

I would also suggest checking out http://www.xdtalk.com there is a lot of good information on SA XD's over there. I'm sure they would have a lot of good additional information to help you on your choice.

Hope that helps

mcb

I don't know about that.

With the new Novak Magazine extensions we should get 22-23 rounds. Add the Big Gulp magwell and send it off to Rich or Scott for a trigger and some Dawson FO sights and you ought to have a really nice Limited gun.

I'm almost certainly going to do that sometime in the 6 month to 1 year timeframe, as soon as I claw my way up from C to B.

Edited by BBunin

I don't know about that.

With the new Novak Magazine extensions we should get 22-23 rounds. Add the Big Gulp magwell and send it off to Rich or Scott for a trigger and some Dawson FO sights and you ought to have a really nice Limited gun.

I'm almost certainly going to do that sometime in the 6 month to 1 year timeframe, as soon as I claw my way up from C to B.

You will get 22-23 round of 9mm with Novak's 140mm Magazine extension. You will only get 15-16 round of 40S&W with that same magazine extension. As I said due to the XD-40 using 9mm width magazine tubes for 40S&W you will probably never get more that 16 rounds in a 140mm length XD-40 magazines. The magazine are simply to narrow.

I think we will see a viable XD-9 9mm Major Open gun before we see a viable XD-40 Limited gun. Now if someone makes a 40S&W/10mm slide for the new XD-45ACP frame then we'll see a sweet XD Limited gun.

rambling

mcb

Thanks for the info. So it looks like I'll be ok with a 5" 45ACP in production or limited 10 and ESP/IDPA.

That'll also set me up for a 40S&W slide kit and novak mag extensions when they're available.... :)

The Tactical model in 40.. it's by far cheaper to shoot than the 45.. 40 brass is everywhere. Bullets weighing less cost less of course.. precision bullets make a sweet 155 for production too.

+1

If your time is valuable, consider getting an XD9 tactical. Then you'll be competitive shooting winchester white box, whereas with the XD40 you pretty much have to reload if you want to shoot production. I shoot an XD40 in production...

atek3

The XD falls into the ESP catagory for IDPA. Caliber is really not an issue - 9mm 40 or 45 all are welcome ;)

I'd reccomend the Tactical version regardless of caliber. Longer sight radius is very helpfull on 25 yd head shots or even long shots on steel.

As a competition gun, I'd say go 40 S&W. It can then play in all the sports ( USPSA, IDPA, Steel ) without any penalty as far as major / minor goes. If you plan on shooting with any regularity, you will reload your ammo.

• 2 weeks later...