Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local Matches Limiting Divisions

Tman33_99

I wanted to spin a poll off to see what the responses would be.

I tried to limit divisions at my local club a year ago, but a vocal few shut that idea down.

The idea was to have the divisions recognized each month would be rotated.

Even months would be race gun match (open, limited, L10)

Odd months would be factory gun match (production, SS, and revolver)

Those that showed up and wanted to play in a "non-recognized" division for that match could shoot, be scored and have classifiers turned in, but would most likely be just themselves in that division at that match.

Interested in what others think.

I personally believe, with higher competion numbers in the divisions for that match, it would be more fun. I wouldn't mind rotating from my Limited to my production, or L10 to SS. There are plenty of other matches in the area to try every division in a month if you wanted to.

You are very lucky that there are other matches you could attend, so maybe you should and leave your local club to shoot what it wants. If a club holds a 3 gun match then I don't attend, so that means I have cut my opportunity to compete to once for that month. I have an open gun, a limited gun, a limited10/SS and a production gun but I don't like being told that I have to shoot a particular gun for my scores to be recognized. I attend & shoot a yearly Single Stack match because I was raised/started shooting a 1911 before there were 8 round magazines so now SS is not really a problem. When you tell me I have to do something it is like walking up behind a jackass and trying to push.

It had better be a damn good match, otherwise I would skip it on months that didn't shoot what I'm concentrating on at the time. We all ( those that have played the game for a while) shoot different divisions for different reasons. We each have goals that we are reaching for, if your club isn't going to shoot what I'm working toward, I may just spend the weekend in practice instead of driving to your match.

My clubs goal is to attract the most amount of shooters possible to afford better props

to attract more shooters, and so on. To draw numbers, we can't afford to exclude anyone.

We have had discussions between a few of the regulars to "bring your 1911" this month

and try to squad together for some " friendly" competition. But we don't want to force it on others.

IMHO, shoot all the divisions and try to grow the sport.

I'd vote "none of the above" if it was an option.

The kind of split you're talking about would mean I'd only shoot the Open, Limited, L-10 month. I have little interest in Production and Revolver, and zero interest in SS.

Now if it was Open/Limited one month, then Production/L-10/Revolver/SS the other month I'd come and play with my SS in L-10. However I'd surely be looking around for a new match because limiting divisions doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty open minded abotu what you gotta do to keep things running, but i'm definitely of the "concentrate on one division at a time" crowd.

If you are going to score me and send in my classifiers when I shoot what I want, what have you actually accomplished? What purpose would you be serving?

If you allow them, people will shoot what they want. If you don't allow them, people will go shoot what they want or find something else to do.

What you might be able to get away with is say you are not paying out for anything but X.

The idea was to have the divisions recognized each month would be rotated.

We've enjoyed success with this idea in the past at my club, ALSPPC.

A few weeks before the monthly match a challenge or "throw down" is offered up via the club's email list. Usually it coincides with a major match, ie a Limited or Production challenge before the Texas State Limited Championships, a Limited-10 or Open challenge before the USPSA Nationals, etc..

Then, everyone competing in that month's division challenge brings an item to donate for the prize table. Only those who compete in the featured division are eligible for a trip to the prize table.

This way it encourages people to shoot that division that month, but if someone wants to shoot a different division, they are still eligible for our usual monthly award ribbons and medals.

We get great turnouts for these Throw-Downs and everyone's happy. B)

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

i can see what you are trying to do. personally, and i'm sure i'm in the minority, i only have one gun (glock 34) that i shoot in competition and that would leave me out of the other month's shooting. of course, i could try minor scoring in limited or limited 10, but that's a tough hill to climb.

In addition to our club's twice-monthly "regular" matches, where all divisions are recognized, including the provisional division, we also run a third club match that is limited to Production, Revolver, and Single-Stack. This is to promote participation in those "smaller" divisions, and give the shooters an incentive to experiment with different guns.

This system seems to work really well, and most of the guys seem to like this format. Some of the hard-core Open and Limited shooters only shoot the "regular" matches, but they don't mind because they still get two matches a month.

So I say ADD rather than SUBTRACT!!

I don't get it. I admit it.

With the exception of special matches, such as our three gun, we recognize all divisions at every match. If there are 5 in a division, there is a division winner, if there are three in a class there is a class winner.

I don't see any reason to run a regular club match and tell people that they can't shoot a particular division.

Sometimes local clubs will run a match that is specifically geared towards revolver. Or we will resurect the old Concealed Carry Catagory.

But to tell anyone that sorry, your open gun, or revolver or what ever isn'twelcome is just unbelievable to me.

Jim

Jim,

We reconize all as well, but with 6 divisions, there is usually not a big turnout in any one division. My thought is to increase competition each month, not just for special matches. I wouldn't turn anyone away, just the attempt to get most of the shooters into fewer divisions for more competition.

From the poll results it is clear it is not a popular idea.

Jim,

We reconize all as well, but with 6 divisions, there is usually not a big turnout in any one division. My thought is to increase competition each month, not just for special matches. I wouldn't turn anyone away, just the attempt to get most of the shooters into fewer divisions for more competition.

From the poll results it is clear it is not a popular idea.

I think it is a good idea for the smaller clubs. We generally do a combined score because it is what our customers want, and no, the open guys don't always win and no one complains about it either. It never hurts to ask what people want.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Unless the club is holding a special match...

Allow all divisions to shoot for score

Recognize any class or division that meets a floor level criteria for participation

Publish class and divisional results for overall and for stages

Publish Combined results regardless of how large the turnout. THis is especially important when you are a smaller venue since there may not be very many people in any particular division.

My opinion is that recognizing a particular division is fine. It is done in our area. But not to the exclusion of the other divisions. Think of it as requesting as opposed to ordering.

Jim

Jim...

Your making perfect sense :)

"If you allow them, people will shoot what they want. If you don't allow them, people will go shoot what they want or find something else to do."

Should be easy enough to understand. ;)

Edited by Chuck D

I think you should allow all divisions at every match, but with advance notice you could designate 5 monthly matches as championships for one division. In the case of 3-gun or multi-gun, you could designate championships for Open, Tactical, Standard, and also possibly He-Man, Heavy Metal, or Standard-Manual. It would be good idea to base any local prizes or certificates on local demand. Other alternatives would be long-gun only: shotgun & rifle, rifle-only, or shotgun-only.