Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is There A Faq Somewhere On Tuning Single-stack Mags?

Grump

Two problems, the second is only a possible mag "effect", maybe.

1. Rounds hang up on the barrel feedramp (standard old GI barrel, no built-in ramp), with the middle of the case body at the bottom corner of the chamber. TOP of rim is ready to slide up the breechface, but the bottom of rim is still in mag (I think that's my problem). The bullet nose is starting to ride forward along the top of the chamber.

Usually a little whack on rear of the slide finishes the feed and on we go.

I've noticed two of my mags release the round almost 1/8-inch farther forward than the other two. Yes, I need to number them and note which are puking.

2. Sometimes there's a classic smokestack FTEj. Some are straight up, others are at a slight angle, and I don't think any have been straight out. The gun tends to eject straight back.

I don't know as much as some people, but here is how I would go about tuning for a 200gr. SWC:

1. Buy some Wilson mags.

2. Try OAL at 1.250" and 1.260".

3. Make sure the extractor tension is not too tight.

With the 200gr H&G it is not as much tuning the magazine as getting the OAL equal to what the barrel likes. Other have talked about the problems with 45's not liking SWC's & it always comes back to OAL.

If you can afford a new magazine or 2, then start with Wilson's and see how they feed.

You may find that the problem is as simple as your barrel not being "throated" to feed SWC ammo. Usually, when the magazine can get the projectile into the chamber mouth the magazine has done it's job.

Unless you have some magazines that work, I would guess you may need to check the barrel out, particularly if the magazines in question feed other bullet shapes.

Edited by L9X25

• 2 weeks later...