Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Question Of Glock Models

uscbigdawg

So here's the thing. I need to fill a hole in the collection and Glock 9mm, would do it perfectly. The purpose of the gun would be multi-focal. The pistol would serve as a USPSA Production pistol, IDPA pistol and backup carry gun.

For USPSA, I know a G34 would be better, but pretty sure it wouldn't fly in IDPA. Oh...and I might have an alternate upper built for Open/Steel.

For IDPA, I'm thinkin' the G17 is in a different category than the G19 but need some help here.

As for a backup carry gun, I'm a pretty big guy and so concealment of a G17 vs. G19 (I can pocket a G34) is not an issue (primary carry gun is a STI Edge or 5" SA 1911).

What do you think? What are trigger pull rules for IDPA? I'm thinking of dropping it down to like 3.5#. What mods would y'all do? Bomar's would be great for competition, but any other irons that you'd recommend? I don't need any tritium sights but if I have to...well...I suppose I have to.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Rich,

Dave S. just used his G34 to win yet another IDPA SSP National Championship (and he was HOA too).

The 34, 17 and 19 are all treated the same in IDPA, SSP 9MM. There are no set trigger pull limits that I'm aware of, the 34 comes with the Glock 3.5# connector in it, but the actual trigger pull is more like 4.5# IIRC. I shoot a 17 using a plain Ameriglo FS and the stock glock rear sight although it has been flipped over to get rid of the white outline.

I carry my 17 every so often, so carrying a 34 shouldn't be a problem for you.

Bruce

Rich,

Big guy...big hands...likely leads to reloading some skin with a G19.

Used G17's are nice, cheap, and highly functional.

G34 give ~ 3/4 inch of extra sight radius...other than that, you can set it and a G17 up identically.

There are far too many great fixed sight out for the Glock to go with a Bomar. If you just have to have an adjustable, Dawson make one that does have to be melted (or hang off the back end of the gun).

I agree with flexmoney, and iainmcphersn. A G17 with a 3.5 disconnect. Change some springs, and add some grip tape.

I'm partial to Dawson's adjustable rear, and there fiber optic front. Though they're not the best choice for carry. Novak's, or Warren tactical may suit you better.

I went with the best of both world's. G35 for gaming, and G27 for carry :D

Good luck

Kyle,

You pretty much read my mind. I really wasn't considering a G19 for any other reason than its size. G17 has always been at the top of the list. In both cases, they can easily be found for less than $400, so price isn't an issue either.

Just looking for a plinker before deployment too.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

Rich

First, I don't know why skateboard tape would be bad contacting your skin, but I wouldn't use it on a carry gun as it would snag on clothing all the time (all the little teeth :D ).

As for A-Grip, it's probably a good option, but I don't like it...mostly just 'cause. No good reason for most. I just will never use it.

Frankly, the grip as is, is fine for me. I don't need the extra tack, to get it. Good ideas though. Keep 'em comin'.

Rich

Trish...FWIW, purple would be cool on a carry gun. Show up to court and tell the judge, "You silly goose...there's no malicious intent. I was totally trying to protect my carry all.":D Sorry....couldn't resist.

First, I don't know why skateboard tape would be bad contacting your skin, but I wouldn't use it on a carry gun as it would snag on clothing all the time (all the little teeth :D ).

I think what was being implied was the carry gun rubbing against skin under a shirt or something like that. Kinda like wearing sandpaper under your shirt! :o

Atleast that is the way I understood the statement.

Oh, by the way, go with the G17.

Rich,

If your military, some gun shops will give you the mil/LE price for a Glock they have on the counter, which is a pretty good deal.

If your deploying..there are also, quite a few 19s being used, in Iraq; pass downs from RIP/TOA units & other units that have been issued them.

I won't go into who has them etc, but not a bad idea to get a 19 pre-deployment to train on and possibly pick one up in theatre, persuant to your commander.

Jay