Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who Makes "gfl" Brass

mscott

I found a case with the markings "G.F.L. 40S.W." on the head. I've never seen one before. Any ideas? Custom maybe? "Glock For Life" ? "Good Friggin Luck"?

I believe Starline used to make brass with your personalized headstamp so you could tell your brass from others. I dont know if they still do this or if it was even Starline but I do remeber somebody advertising this personalized brass back in the 90's.

I'm pretty sure it is junk. I noticed it at first when it ran pretty rough around the shell plate and I pulled it to inspect it for a ding or something. When I went to the range I had a primer not go off so I hit it again and it went bang. That was this case and all I can figure is that the case head is out of spec in some way. I'll drop it in the scrap bin.

Flex is on the money, as usual. Fiocchi of Italy.

While I'm not certain, the letters may stand for the the founder's initials (Giulio Fiocchi), and original location (a city or district called Lecco).

No personal experience, but most of what I've read here hasn't been too keen on reloading their cases.

Edited by kevin c

Thanks for the replies. I'm not into sorting by head stamp(other than tossing "FC"), but it seemed funny that this piece caught my attention twice. I guess it's also possible that I have more of them, but I shot the box I loaded that day and just figured I got a bad piece.

I found a case with the markings "G.F.L. 40S.W." on the head. I've never seen one before. Any ideas? Custom maybe? "Glock For Life" ? "Good Friggin Luck"?

I believe the headstamp is gfi not gfl and the manufacturewr is Fiocchi of Italy. I believe that some of the ammo is made in the USA whether it's in a Fiocchi plant or subcontracted is a question?

Edited by TonyT

mscout, you've got it right in the second acronym. Good F*$#ing Luck.

I've watched 5 pieces let go about 7or8 years ago. All 40S&W, in both glocks and STI's. The result was full case head separation, and for the glocks, it caused them to puke their extractors out and blow the bottom out of the magazines. Post mortuem reveiled that each round was GFL.

I've not seen any problems with the 9mm variant.

Kenny

P.S. I will never run Remington in a 45ACP. The case will not hold the bullet in place during loading.

• 3 months later...
mscout, you've got it right in the second acronym. Good F*$#ing Luck.

I've watched 5 pieces let go about 7or8 years ago. All 40S&W, in both glocks and STI's. The result was full case head separation, and for the glocks, it caused them to puke their extractors out and blow the bottom out of the magazines. Post mortuem reveiled that each round was GFL.

I've not seen any problems with the 9mm variant.

Kenny

P.S. I will never run Remington in a 45ACP. The case will not hold the bullet in place during loading.

I just had this happen at a local match this past Saturday. STI 40 cal, complete case head seperation with Fiocchi (GFL headstamp) brass.

I don't normally reload Fiocchi brass, I'm not sure where that one came from.

Edited by NCShooter

I had been curious about the maker of this brass also. Now that I've read the comments I'm glad I trashed it all. I do load the Fiocchi stamped brass and have had good luck so far with it.

Another manufacture I was curious about is the "ELD" stamped brass. Any takers on who makes this?

Zack

ELD is probably some version of PMC/Eldorado

The really old GFL stuff was junk. I'd get Fiocchi factory .40 from the gun store back when .40 was new and I bought factory ammo, but when I went to start loading it, case life got very short.

I tried a search for this here and on google but couldn't turn anything up.

I just got some 9mm brass and a lot of it was

*I*

The stars on each side had five points on them. Anyone have a clue on this? I am planning on using them for 9 major but may use them for minor...

The "I" stamped brass is Independence I believe. The ones I've loaded so far seems to be ok. The only issue I've seen is the primers seat almost too easily in them. This was .40 brass so I'm not sure how they spec in 9mm.

Zack

The "I" stamped brass is Independence I believe. The ones I've loaded so far seems to be ok. The only issue I've seen is the primers seat almost too easily in them. This was .40 brass so I'm not sure how they spec in 9mm.

Zack

Thanks, Z. I did a search with 'independence' and you're right. It seems to be a subsidiary of Speer/CCI.