Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Ar-15 Magazines

mcb

I have my AR-15 on order from RRA. I am looking for some magazine to go with my new AR and have been a bit overwhelm with the number of magazine options. I did a search on the internet and most magazine FAQ date back to 1999 and even the most recent thread I could find here data back to last year.

So I would love to here your recommendation for reliable AR-15 magazines and good places to buy them from. I initially want to start out with a few 20's and a couple 30's. I might add a 40 or 45 later.

Since this is my first AR feel free to also recommend the essential AR accessories you need to shoot and care for an AR if you like.

Thanks

mcb

Edited by mcb

NHTMG mags from Hartford, CT. I bought 15. Wish I would have bought 50 or 100.

I ordered a couple from 44mag.com to try and liked them as well.

NHTMG Standard USGI's with green followers:

http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NH30

NHTMG's With Magpul followers:

http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHMP

Edited by j2fast

AR magazines were the first thing I ordered when I escaped New Jersey. Larry from C Products took good care of me. His online catalog has changed a little ---- there's some expensive magazines at the top of the catalog. I bought the 20 and 30 rounders with magpul anti-tilt orange follower and magpul ranger floorplate that now retail for $12.90 ---- they're somewhere around item 40 out of the 56 he has listed. Magazines looked good and worked flawlessly in my JP, service was first rate!

+1 on the C products mags. I just bought 11 of the stainless steel mags with the magpull followers. Pretty inexpensive compared to the steel HK mags, but most, if not all, of the quality. Highly recommended.

+1 on the C products mags. I just bought 11 of the stainless steel mags with the magpull followers. Pretty inexpensive compared to the steel HK mags, but most, if not all, of the quality. Highly recommended.

I bought 5 of the stainless CProducts mags. Like Patrick said, my DPMS just must not like them. It never missed a beat till I tried those mags out. I stopped using them and went back to the aluminum mags and the problem went away.

Ditto on what Sweeney said.

I've done some informal testing with D&L Sports mags, gen 2 HK mags, GI mags with green followers, GI mags with Magpul followers. The problem is that my JP and D&L ARs are reliable with all of them. I don't think I can afford to figure out the mean rounds before failure for any of the mags in a statistically significant fashion. My favorite mags are the D&L, followed by GI with Magpuls, but that's just me.

D&H from .44mag.com or CProducts. Both are great. I like the teflon on the D&H's better, but I've read that CProducts are coming out with the teflon in the next month or so.

What ever you do, get the Magpul followers. Reliable feeding is the key to any mag.

The definitive statement on the best magazines; the ones you have tested in your rifle and proven reliable. Anything else is a guess and a wager.

Point taken. All I know about the NHTMG mags is that we bought 150 of them on a club buy, and I've yet to hear anybody say negative about them. I have 15, and they are all completely interchangeable with my rifle, so at least the lot tolerances are decent. So, I will offer that "brand-name" as one of many viable starting points.

I bought 5 of the stainless CProducts mags. Like Patrick said, my DPMS just must not like them. It never missed a beat till I tried those mags out. I stopped using them and went back to the aluminum mags and the problem went away.

Along these lines:

Steel or Aluminum? It seem most like aluminum but I might be wrong

Again, thanks for all the great responses

mcb

Along these lines:

Steel or Aluminum? It seem most like aluminum but I might be wrong

Again, thanks for all the great responses

mcb

It's not that simple. A "USA" steel mag is crap. A USGI Al mag generally runs 100%. An HK steel mag is worlds apart from either. It's also over 5X the price.

Thanks for all the help guys. I order a three 30 and two 20 round USGI magazine from 44mag.com. I got the gray Teflon coated with genII Magpul followers and some ranger base-pads. I also order one older straight 20rd just because I think the old straight style 20rd magazines look a lot nicer in the gun. I let you guys know how the work when they and my AR finally get arrives. This waiting it going to drive me nuts.

Thanks again for all the help

mcb

Just my opinion, but, go with the CProducts SS mags. Go with the CS springs if you are going to use them A LOT! Otherwise, go with the SS springs. Their mags are second-to-none and their customer service is absolutely the best!

I had a dozen 20 rounders with orange MagPul followers & Ranger baseplates sent to my son when he was deployed with SF over in Iraq...They performed flawlessly. I personally have a dozen or so of my own & I love them. Just outstanding! :D

But then, that's my opinion! YMMV!!!

Old SF

The Brownell's ones with the CS springs are sweeeeeeet. I got to try these out while on leave and will definitely buy more. Too, the 40-rounder recipe worked to a "T". Thanks guys. Now, I gotta try me some 45's (for giggles) and maybe play with the Beta's a bit.

Rich

I too am going to try out some of the DPMS 45 rounders. At this years Tri-Gun I helped out ROing a stage and had the chance to see lots of AR's in action. I saw quite a few of the 45 rd mags and didn't see one of them have problems.

I too am going to try out some of the DPMS 45 rounders. At this years Tri-Gun I helped out ROing a stage and had the chance to see lots of AR's in action. I saw quite a few of the 45 rd mags and didn't see one of them have problems.

I have a DPMS 45rd mag and it has been flawless. I just took it out of the package and started useing it and its kind of become my go to mag, seems I use it almost more than my twin packs. I dont think I,ve ever put 45 rds in it but it has never failed.-------Larry