Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recoil spring weight

Scooter

I have been running a 10# spring in my 40 SV Limited gun for 3 years. I never told anyone because I thought they would say I was CRAZY. I knew it, everyone one else is crazy,it's not me,yeah that's it.:o

Scooter, I have been shooting an 11lb spring in my STI Edge 40 for 4 years. When I took Todd's class in 97', I was shooting a 14-16lb spring and Todd told us he was shooting an 11lb spring. He also recommended we try it. He told us that the heavier springs made the guns look and feel like they were flipping more than the lighter springs because the extra flip was from the extra force of the gun coming back into battery, not the slide coming back with extra muzzle flip. I tried the 11lb spring and have never looked back (just made Limited Master class with a 100% classifier, finally). I guess Todd has changed to an even ligher spring.

When I tried the 10lb spring over the 11lb, the gun felt like it wasn't returning to the same place and it was returning a little "high", if you know what I mean. The front sight looked like it wasn't returning and staying a little higher than the rear notch and sight where the 11lb spring seemed to return almost right to the rear sight everytime, even on rapid fire. It sounds funny, but you have to experience it to see what I mean. That is kind of hard to describe, but Brian, does that make any sense?

Kevin

Brian,

I forgot to ask, do you (ideally) want to short cycle the slide? I remember what you said about the recoil and having less mass coming back and forward on the top end (in the slide) and a heavier bottom taming recoil better. Again, short cycling the slide might cause less mass recoiling back and forward and help, I think. Thanx

Kevin  (sorry to keep you so busy, but this is a dreamshot. I mean as "Good As It Gets". How many times do you get to ask the Master, One of the IPSC forefathers how he works it.

kevin,

Shortening the stroke of the slide is accomplished using shock buffs. There is an in-depth discussion - "Shock buffs" on the second page of this Forum. You'll probably find all your answers there.

be

Quote: from Detlef on 4:36 am on June 25, 2001

I use a 10 lb, Todd uses a 9 lb. You're fine assuming all

works. Reliability is the issue.

--Detlef

Detlef, was Todd useing shock buff with a 9lb spring?  That seems awfully light!    thanks

ahh...I love discussing *Todd and me*!!!!

Seriously, he said he uses two shok buffs, but at the time (Florida Open) I did not ask what type and thickness. I am using one of the .09 Red Buffs, and, much to my surprise, they last for bloody ever! Thousands of rounds of 175 PF loads (I load so that I safely make IPSC Standard major PF 170). In fact, they last much longer than they used to with a 17.5 # spring in my .45. Kind of surprising since, at identical PF and recoil spring weight, the slide comes back with about the same velocity irrespective of caliber.

Anyway, I really like the 10lb spring setup, it is clearly a bit easier to handle than with the 14/13 # springs that I tried before I asked Todd.

--Detlef

Everyone,

I put the STI tungsten rod back in with two shok buffs (.90 & .125 Heitt buffs) and an 11lb spring and went and shot today. It  shot really well. It might have short cycled a little bit but not enough to make that much of a difference for me to tell just yet, or maybe it did and I just didn't shoot it enough. I was basically looking to make sure it would function first. The recoil was a little more consistent this way than with the Sprinco rod.

There was a little more felt recoil back in my hand than with the Sprinco rod, but more consistent and that is what I'm looking for. I noticed that shooting at 25 yards, I had 9 A's and 1 C. With the Sprinco rod, I would mostly get a couple of low C's and maybe even a D, and I think it was from the extra spring returning into battery. With the buffs and standard rod, it didn't do that and my A count went up.

Next, I want to try the Comminoli frame saver tungsten rod with reverse tungsten plug and shok buffs and see how it feels.

Thanx, Kevin

Kevin,

you might want to experiment w/ and w/o the tungsten reverse plug. This one is *moving* mass, and I found that I want to minimize that. Not that the mass difference is very large...

--Detlef

Brian or anyone else,

I already posted how I tried the standard tungsten guide rod with two shok buffs (.90 + .125= .215 total). I shot it this way for 200 rounds and it ran fine. I shot a match on Sunday and shot another 114 rounds and it gave me problems and jams 5 times total, 4 in one stage.  The jams were very slight. As I shot, the slide would cycle back and upon returning, it would strip the top round and the round would stop at the bottom of the feed ramp. Now, the round wasn't pinned at the bottom, if you touched the slide at all (I tapped the back a few times, grabbed the front serrations a couple other times and didn't hardly touch it the last time, just moved the gun back to clear it and it went into battery) it would go back into battery. The mag springs are ISMI and only 3 months old.

I have used the ISMI mag springs for 3 years with zero problems. I'm using a STI tungsten rod, 11lb spring, and .215 of shok buffs. I put the Sprinco rod back in with a 10lb spring the last stage and it ran perfect. Any solutions? My rounds are .40 S&W, 200gr jacketed, 4.2grs VV N320, loaded to 1.160 OAL.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

How often do those shock buffs need changed anyway?

Is it every xx number of rounds, when they look a little tore up?  They come in a six pack or so, right?  When should you change them?

(Edited by Flexmoney at 8:00 pm on July 3, 2001)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got my Comminoli frame saver tungsten rod and put it in. I used the Comminoli rear shok buff and a Wilson blue buff on front. Shot 150 rounds with no problems so far. It doesn't appear that I'll have any more problems with rounds stopping at the bottom of the feed ramp like I did when I had too thick of shok buffs in it. I'll see when I shoot it more if it happens, but the slide travels back a little further than with .225 of shok buffs in it. It had problems with .225 of shok buffs, I don't think there was enough slide travel.

I didn't notice that much difference in softness in recoil from the standard tungsten rod with 1 shok buff compared to the Comminoli rod though. Feel is about the same, but nice knowing that steel isn't pounding on steel and its buffered.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop

• 1 month later...