Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Re-set

45KANSAS

I don't think you need to stop, I think you are doing the right thing. I think you need to get comfortable prepping the trigger during recoil. If it is 4 pounds pull for the sear to break you should have 3 on it as soon as possible, then you are left with a 1 pound trigger for each shot. A guy a lot wiser in this sport than I am taught me that and it flat works. I can shoot .20 splits completely comfortably doing this too.

Think of it this way, if you lift off and prep correctly you will never have trigger freeze and no matter what you shoot you will always be ready for the next shot.

I TEACH people to lift completely off........

If you want to practice riding the reset while simulating shooting at speed in DRY fire what you can do is pull the trigger and hold it to the rear, rack the slide and continue to hold the trigger to the rear, assume your regular two hand grip bring the gun up to the target and THEN release the trigger to reset and pull it again.

I do this a lot at various sized targets at varying distances and it shows me how fast I can reset and pull the trigger without disturbing the sights. Also, it really lets me know of imperfections in my trigger control.

I shoot a glock so riding the reset is pretty much the way to go.

My one thing you can do is to use the take-up as prep in dry fire. Take the trigger to prep and then release until it is fully exteneded then take it up again. I practice breaking the trigger on a specific shot. If you do not prep your trigger you will be using .1+ to do it on target, and that adds lots of time in a stage.

My 1911/2011 triggers are set up so that the pre and post travel are about the same, so it is good dryfire practice to let off as far as I need, no more no less.

If you do not prep your trigger you will be using .1+ to do it on target, and that adds lots of time in a stage.

Unless you're a trigger slapper.

Seriously, there's some really top shooters that are trigger slappers.

If you are not, and want to be a trigger rider. I think that taking your finger off the trigger is not necesarely bad... It is good that you notice your finger coming off the trigger. That awareness will take you closer to your goal of riding the trigger to just the reset both when taking the pretravel (when you start the shot with your finger off trigger, like a draw, reload, transition) and when coming from the post travel (splits).

IMHO, I think it's good that someone is interested in developing a certain technique, it will help them pay more attention to the target-sights-trigger interaction; but, ultimately, when that shooter gets really good, I think s/he'll be "beyond" a particular method of trigger operation.

Edited by Pierruiggi

There is an easy drill for this, but you will need another person.....

Assume a normal shooting stance, with the (verified empty) weapon up on target. Sight alignment/sight picture nice trigger press.......and hold the trigger to the rear.

Have your partner, who is standing on your right (if you are right handed) smartly pull the slide to the rear and then let go forward.

Your trigger is still to the rear.......just like you've fired a shot, and your gun is still up on target....like you just fired a shot. Repeat as necessary.

I am well aware that TGO is a trigger slapper, and obviously is "fairly successful" with it.

I would recommend, in general, that working that reset, from a marksmanship/training/muscle memory perspective, is generally going to give better results.

Read any marksmanship manual, go to most any shooting skill (from NRA up to Frank Garcia) and they will all point you towards working the trigger reset, and away from trigger slapping.

We exposed a small test group of new hires to "trigger slapping" and, with duty guns, the results were disastrous.

John

FY42385

Anyone know who else among the GM shooters are trigger slappers? I've seen the slo-mo footage of TGO slapping an SA (single-stack 1911 IIRC) just about as fast as I could just mash it..without regard for where it's pointed, for my hold and lack of comp, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a good way to practice trigger re-set? I tend to lift off the trigger compleatly. I guess this come's from too much Bull's Eye & target shooting. I need to break this habit for Three-Gun competiton.

I would use a .22 and do some slowfire while heavily concentrating in keeping the trigger finger in contact with the trigger face during the whole cycle. Then speed it up and eventually practice the technique using whatever pistol you are going to use in 3 gun.

But in most cases I don't see a problem with the finger comming off of the trigger for pistol or shotgun.

I think it only becomes a detriment while shooting the rifle at targets (steel) that are 40+ yards away. At that point I don't see trigger slapping as being a viable technique. Getting off of the trigger and not feeling it throughout the shot cycle just doesn't work for me on 40+ yard targets.

It's good to have both techniques in the toolbox.

Any more, when it comes down to the no-fault tatics of this great sport, I have been telling people to somply shoot their own game, and enjoy their own voyage to <class they desire to finish in>

Of course, there is a multitude of things that can be done better as well :D

I TEACH people to lift completely off........

so this means shooting a glock you don't just reset until the click, you actually do the entire trigger prep every time?

hold the trigger to the rear and cycle your action come off until you feel the trigger reset then come back to breaking your shot... doing this repeatedly will allow you to be in tune with the gun. Tension is what causes trigger freeze.

For the average or less shooter, stress causes fine motor skills to go out the window. It is far easier to teach someone who only shoots a few hundred rounds a year to just touch the trigger & pull until it fires. Hold the trigger back through recoil, let go and squeeze again. IPSC shooting is the same skill just faster. If you only shoot the same gun forever then a reset method might work for you after a few thousand tries. I shoot a 1911 with no pretravel @ 2#, an XD with a little bit @ 2.5#, a Glock with a ton @ 3# and a Beretta with a half inch @ 8# and then no travel @ 5#. I guess you could say I slap the trigger but I prefer to call it a contolled release & squeeze.

Is there a good way to practice trigger re-set? I tend to lift off the trigger compleatly. I guess this come's from too much Bull's Eye & target shooting. I need to break this habit for Three-Gun competiton.

What you're doing is fine. More than a couple brand-name GM's come completely off the trigger and win matches.

I shoot a 1911 with no pretravel @ 2#, an XD with a little bit @ 2.5#, a Glock with a ton @ 3# and a Beretta with a half inch @ 8# and then no travel @ 5#.

no travel on a beretta????? my beretta in single action travels just as far as the DA does if you let allll the way off the trigger.

I shoot a 1911 with no pretravel @ 2#, an XD with a little bit @ 2.5#, a Glock with a ton @ 3# and a Beretta with a half inch @ 8# and then no travel @ 5#.

no travel on a beretta????? my beretta in single action travels just as far as the DA does if you let allll the way off the trigger.

I just checked the safe & discovered there is about a 16th" of travel in SA. Cocking the hammer moves the trigger back almost .75" from the resting DA position.

A Beretta U22 is the only pistol I own that hasn't had a trigger job. My house gun is a Mossberg shotgun with pistol grip fore & aft & a Magna ported barrel.

I also have a Colt Trooper MkIII with an unsafe 1# SA trigger pull that I use as a demo for showing a no movement in the barrel DA trigger pull with 1 finger & the other 3 straight out.

Different strokes for different folks.

• 1 month later...