Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remy 1100 Reliability

apriav

I have owned several 1100, shot skeet for a number of years without problems (if you keep them clean). My comp master is not cycling the bolt forword...a shell drops from the mag tube and just lays there. One out of 10 to 50 rounds fired, and I have to hit the gate and continue on the stage. Who is the 1100 guy that can make this thing run reliability, and in a reasonable ammount of time.

It needs more mag spring or polishing in the mag tube, or both. The shell flying to the back of the elevator is what trips the bolt to go forward and feed the shell. You might play with it a little, unless you are completely fed up with it already and just want it done.

Shawn is pretty backed up right now. He told me at MG Nats that he was 6 months out when I asked about dropping my shotgun by for a bit of work.

That's what happens with really good smiths.

If you haven't detail stripped and cleaned it lately then do so. It isn't hard, really. Strip it, clean it, oil it. That takes care of the majority of 1100 problems.

As HSMITH mentioned...clean the mag tube. You would be surprised how many people forget this even when they detail strip and clean.

If you are using an aftermarket follower it "may" be binding in the tube causing what spring pressure you have to not be fully available to push the next round out. Even factory followers will blow it now and then.

Also check the mag tube for dents and "roundness".

Check the follower.

Replace the spring.

Clean the mag tube.

Make sure that you don't have a bump between the mag tube and the extension.

Pull the trigger group and clean the living snot out of it and relube. 1100's like to run *wet*, particularly when new. Get a few cases of ammo through them and they loosen up and fly right.

Whatever you do, you want to get your 1100 in front of Shawn in order to get the interceptor latch mod. Buying a $300 gunshow special and getting it into the queue might be in order if you plan to ride the 1100 platform.

Tank's Rifle Shop did a good job on my 1100; replaced a double handful of parts in a reasonable time frame. Runs fine now. I concur with EircW on running wet. CLP keeps the carbon from caking up. A squirt of aerosol cleaner does the job on the gas system.

lol.. we all know you're both just looking for an excuse to by the Browning, Or Benelli...

Maybe it was that fine dust out there, or something.. mine did it too at the same match, twice. I probably have 2,000 rounds through mine.. worked 99% at the 3 Gun Nationals. The only time I remember it not chambering one, was the last round didn't chamber, but it was an extra.. I had just fired my last...

I even cleaned mine after the first 4 stages.. it certainly wasn't a good day for 1100's..

I was at Shawn's shop again today and I asked him about his turnaround time. He said that the 6 month figure is for building match rifles. He said it's quite a bit shorter for typical shotgun work, like reliability and loading port mods. I left my 11-87 with him for that treatment.