Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

870 Or 590 For He-man

1911vm

Okay just looking for personnel opinions for the 3-gun he-man division. Moss. 590 or Rem. 870

I personally like the 870, not only have I owned one for decades, but I carry one everyday along with compete with one. You will find every accessory you will need for it and some you don"t :D They take a beating and keep on tickin. Just stay away from the Express models, Go with a Wingmaster or preferably a police magnum. (They are made better per remington) Have fun and welcome to a system that rarely will fail on you, most malfunctions are shooter caused, so as long as you don't screw up the gun will keep on runnin.

I think out of the box the 590 would work better. It can be had with a 20" barrel and extended tube giving you a 9 shot capacity - class limit. The heatsheild will also prove useful if you reload by flipping the gun upside down. The top mounted safety is easier to engage for lefties. Not sure about chokes for either, but i've seen some of the 18" defensive 870s and 500s having trouble knocking down long range steel.

Edited by ArnisAndyz

I sure like my 590A1. Its ready to go from the box capacity wise, and hell for stout. The only thing is it doesnt have chokes. There is PLENTY of barrel there to thread in a set, but I just havent done it and the cylinder bore has screwed me a couple times on long heavy steel. The lifter that stays up makes for a quick gun upside down reload if you favor that cause you can grab four, drop one in the lifter box, use shell two to push one and two in, drop shell three inthe box, and use shell four to push 3 and four in.

870 also sucks if you don't get the shell loaded into the magazine all the way. Shell comes out over the lifter and you are stuck. With the 590 the shell just pops out onto the ground.

Neither weapon unlocks the bolt when the trigger is pulled. If you are pulling back on the pump action when the trigger is pulled (poor technique), you will have to push the pump action forward to unlock it. Unlike the Winchester 1300 and Benelli Nova.

The 870 can be made to load and feed really slick. It does take some judicious clean-up of the feed path. There are a number of forums about a year ago on making the M1100 load well. Search 'em up..

Then you can get any go fast parts you want for the M870.

Billski

Neither weapon unlocks the bolt when the trigger is pulled. If you are pulling back on the pump action when the trigger is pulled (poor technique), you will have to push the pump action forward to unlock it. Unlike the Winchester 1300 and Benelli Nova.

Huh? My mossberg unlocks when the trigger gets pressed and I do pull on the pump while I shoot. Maybe it is poor techinque but it allows me to pump the gun quite fast as my off hand is comming back towards me almost as soon as the shot left the gun. Now if I could reload ...

Not only is the 590A1 faster to reload.....you can grab 6 shells at a time as well......and dont tell me about haven little hands......those that know me, know I dont have the biggest hands on the block but I can load the 590 blindfolded :D

I did put a +1 extension on my 590A1 and, mine did come with screw in chokes, so I was able to use Ruger extended choke tubes (I think those are the ones that fit). I had it all legal for the old rules of the 21" barrel tube 1" beyond and I could hold 9 in the tube which I personally thought was a plus....but it appears the rule is going bye bye. I also put ghost rings sights on it......but if I had to do it again, would just go with rifle sights.

One other thing about the 590A1........smooth the action. and open up the area that you stuff the shells in with a file, dremel tool or if you can mill it, so much the better. You can REALLY open it there to make reloading easier (actually, you should do that with any shotgun)

Tim

I have owned both shotguns and have a fondess for the old 870. If I were going to shoot heavy metal I would use my Benelli Nova over either of the two. There are not as many accessories as the other two have available, but the action is slicker and it is easy to reload. They are also built like a tank and can take a hell of alot of abuse.

post-6767-1157543988.jpgI have also used both and I prefer the 590. I had Briley install their thinwall choke tubes and I customeized the front sight with fiberoptics. It rocks in Heavy Metal division now. Its action was a bit rougher when new, but with a little shooting time is smoothed up nicely.

I personally don't believe the 870 is any slower than the 870. i like the vang comp big head safety on the 870. and the smoothness of the action and for some reason they seem to recoil less..

i absolutely despise heat shields. they cut me scratch me, get hung up on stuff... i'd much rather put a glove on or not touch the barrel ( i don't "flip the gun over" so this has never been a big problem.

870 it is for me.