Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoilmaster Getting Beat Up - Normal ?

StealthyBlagga

I have an STI RecoilMaster "heavy system" installed in my .40S&W STI pistol. I stripped and cleaned it for the first time in a long while, and noticed considerable deformation around the base of the rod assembly. I probably only have about 3K rounds through it since installing the RecoilMaster, and my loads are only just making major, so I was a little surprised to see as much damage as I saw. Is this abnormal ?

I noticed mine getting beat up as well, then the slide started sticking to the rear like it was in slide lock. I took the recoilmaster with me to a major match and talked to John Kestel of STI. He told me that the barrel needs a flat spot cut just in front of the link area to keep this from happening. He replaced mine free of charge, and the new one is still in the package.

Good Luck !

Buy a standard guide rod. Fit it up and keep it in your bag. When the recoil master pukes at a match, you'll be able to finish. I've shot a couple guns with them and fail to see any magic happening.

This seems like sound advice - I am doing this already. As I don't bet my life on this gun (just my meager reputation) I guess this will be the path of least resistance.

Buy a standard guide rod. Fit it up and keep it in your bag. When the recoil master pukes at a match, you'll be able to finish. I've shot a couple guns with them and fail to see any magic happening.

This seems like sound advice - I am doing this already. As I don't bet my life on this gun (just my meager reputation) I guess this will be the path of least resistance.

Just buy a standard steel rod and a IMSI 12.5 spring, but it in the gun now and the gun wont puke at a match. Chunk the recoilmaster in the trash.------Larry

I was going to get a recoil master, but almost everyone who has one has broke one. A couple of people broke them at the last match I was at. I like the "light" recoil master, so I tried a 6# variable and it is pretty close to the "feeling" of a recoil master I tried in my gun. I also run with two buffs which makes a difference too. The gun seems faster but not as sharp as the recoil master. Just my .02

There are 2 version of the recol master. An old version with the body just a little thin and a new version with the body reinforce and a little thick. Probabily who has get it broken has the old version. The new version seems to be harder.

Nice shoot to all!